Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       06-24-2014, 1:43 PM Reply   
Anyone have any feedback on them? what kind you would recommend? I live in an area of the lake where we get some big rollers
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-24-2014, 5:31 PM Reply   
They work really really well.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-24-2014, 5:53 PM Reply   
They work great. Just make sure to get them to at least accommodate your boats size.
Old     (k2rider)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-25-2014, 4:50 AM Reply   
They work really well. Like stated above make sure you get one to accommodate your boat. I have a set and when the wind is blowing at the house and then you factor in the weekend crowd on the lake it can get a little crazy at the dock. The whips keep the boat away from the dock the whole day and I don't have to worry about it smashing the dock of the bumpers moving on me. If you're not looking to spend the crazy amount new, I was patient and found a guy on craigslist who had a used set that was a year old with a new set of ropes for $100.
Old     (kdr)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-25-2014, 8:45 AM Reply   
I used 2" PVC and made my whips. They are bolted to the dock below the decking and work great. It's going on seven years now and no signs of deterioration. The boat is normally about 5-6 feet from the dock. With really heavy traffic, it's gotten to maybe within two feet.. Think all supplies were about $40.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-26-2014, 6:11 AM Reply   
Any fiberglass whip is the best and they work perfect. Just make sure they are long enough and you can load them with tension. Make sure to wax them very 6 months because over time they will get splintered...grab but never slide your hands on an old sun bleached fiberglass whip or you will get a handful of slivers.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-27-2014, 8:57 AM Reply   
Lived on a lake for 7 years. Have used both mooring arms and whips. They key to them working perfectly is the whips/arms need to be setup for your boat. I had one set for my boat only, and another set for guest boats.

they worked perfect for my boat in any condition...even strong wind.

they worked good for guests unless it got really windy. My guest whips eventually snapped after about 5 years.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-29-2014, 9:31 PM Reply   
Whips are great. You can dock bow out and they will keep everything safe. With a tower, it is easiest to launch and return if you have whips that are hinged to pop straight up when not tensioned Otherwise the tower and racks can get messed up with the lines and whips.
Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       06-30-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
@rallyart what kind do you recommend?
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-30-2014, 8:54 AM Reply   
I've used them for years. IMO, the key is to also tie the boat off correctly to the dock.

The whips keep the boat pushed out and away from the dock but don't do well keeping the boat from moving forward and back.

I always tie a line from a cleat on the dock near the bow, to the stern cleat on the boat. Then cross another line from the stern dock cleat to the bow boat cleat.

This keeps the boat from moving forward and back and allows you to easily pull the boat in to get on and off while the whips are still connected.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-01-2014, 11:23 AM Reply   
That's correct. You need to tie off correctly and it helps to have your lines pulled out front past the bow and behind the stern to help with forward aft movement and longer than shorter.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-02-2014, 7:24 PM Reply   
Jason, the "Ultimate Mooring Whips" by DockMate are good. They have the rocker base and I know they can handle storm conditions. TJ is right on the money about using mooring lines and spring lines when you tie up and leave the boat on the whips for an extended time
Old     (drballenbc)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-04-2014, 8:02 AM Reply   
First boat and put whips in. Definitely recommend the swivel bases that come with the premium whips. I have hit mine once with the tower already when docking because I did not get those. I now remove them when we go out so they are out of the way when we return. Agreed that their purpose is to hold the boat away from the dock, not keep it there so I have several lines in addition to that in place.