Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-22-2017, 10:45 AM Reply   
Flew out to Palm Springs this past weekend for the track event at Thermal Club put on by Lambo Beverly Hills. Lamborghini puts on 2-3 per year in the US/Canada. Having never been on a track before, the experience is unreal. 1st class all the way. This isn’t the $300 groupon deal to drive 5 year old LP cars with restrictions on speed, how you can drive the car, ect. The only real rule is keep traction control on. This was just the hurracan’s ( 2wd/4wd cars) at this event. The session is limited to abt 20/25 people with 6-8 instructors, and they actually help you learn how to drive the car on the track. There are various stations you run thru in the morning and the afternoon is spent on the track….a pace car led by an instructor and 2 cars follow (track time is spent alone in the car with a radio headset inside your helmet) you’re put into groups based on instructors informal evaluations. I was kinda of shocked at how a few of the participants drove around the track like they were going for a leisurely Sunday drive….and these are owners too. Wtf?. All the cars had the carbon ceramic brake upgrades on them….now I see why people get them if they run their cars on the track. The stopping power is pretty incredible…even after running all day on the track. Something else worth noting….the cars were turned on abt 8 am in the morning and were never turned off the entire day. I know I was beating the **** out of the car I was driving Front straightaway you’re up to abt 135/140…on the back closer to 150/155. The turn sequences took a little getting used to, but overall awesome experience. I took some video riding shotgun in one of the pace cars on the track…I asked the instructor how hard he was pushing the car…said maybe 6/7 out of 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he4RkcRQgHA
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2017, 11:36 AM Reply   
Adam thanks for the review and the video. But why did you shoot the video vertically
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-22-2017, 12:21 PM Reply   
cuz holding it horizontally blocked my view. lol. I really wasnt' looking to much at my phone when I was filming...just a few times to get a glance at the dash. I wanted to run out to my car to grab my gopro and use the suction mount for inside, but it was a last minute thing. I randomly asked the instructor if I could ride shotgun so I could film.

This won't be my last one.....I'll get some better video next time
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2017, 2:24 PM Reply   
Adam what did you think of the Hurran compared to your R8. Is your R8 a V-10 or V8. And if you had to guess what do you think it cost BH Lamborghini to put that day on? How much do you think the dealer is gonna have to discount the Demmo cars for. How pissed would you be if you found out after the fact that the Slightly Used Lamborghini you just bough was a Demmo car for Track Day
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-23-2017, 6:48 AM Reply   
Had the 2012 r8 v10; the hurracan blows that car away in almost every way…even comfort IMO…and the a/c blows ice cold It was in the high 90’s in the afternoon at the track that day. Going from single clutch to dual clutch is a huge improvement. Gallardo clutches last anywhere between abt 5k miles and 30k on avg. at t replacement cost of 7k ish. I’m currently in a 07 Nera Gallardo….the Hurrcan is just a much better all-around car than the Gallardo…almost 10 years of technology improvements. Clutch wear on the hurracan is almost nonexistent now. No weird quirks like the older lambos…for instance in my gallardo you have to take the car out of sport mode for the front lift to work. In another 3-5 years this car is going to the top of my list, you’re just starting to see used ones dip under 200k.
I don’t’ know how much Lambo BH paid…the entire “production” is put on by Lambo corporate. I paid a tad over $1k….I bet lambo BH paid abt $1k per person? So $2k per person total? My guess is every dealer in the US contributes to some of the overhead costs of the corporate office as well. They travel across the US/Europe putting on different driving seminars/courses…costs range from $1k-abt $20k depending on which one. The dealers I’m sure contribute but it’s also a “soft” sales opportunity for them. Lambo BH is owned by O’Gara coach, and I know they have a couple lambo race teams.
I asked the corporate guys what they do with the demo cars (the demo cars are owned by lambo corporate)…he said they don’t’ sell them, but then a sales guy from Lambo BH said that’s not true…they do sell them. A friend confirmed that….there are a couple people who own the demo cars on the lambo forums. This particular track demo had 5 sessions throughout the weekend. I know lambo dallas was out there, but they had an afternoon session ( too hot, or I would have done that one) The instructor said the cars are very well maintained…each car has all fluids flushed after the weekend, and the car goes through a 200 point inspection. It comes down to price…but would you rather have a car that has 10k miles of track driving cared for by lambo race mechanics or a 3 year old 10k mile car by a stranger? Not to mention, if the cars were never titled, the warranty would start on the purchase date. The instructors are probably a bit biased, but they tout how bulletproof these new cars are now. The Gallardo has always been known as a very reliable exotic and the hurracan has taken that one step further. Based on what the instructors told me no one at the entry level track days are pushing these cars past a 6/7 out of 10.
https://www.lamborghiniallaccess.com/