Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       01-09-2017, 9:26 AM Reply   
It's time replace my beloved 95 Malibu Sunsetter DD, I've surfed the hell out of it and it's been an amazing boat to own. However, I can't deal with the lack of seating and fat sacs everywhere anymore. I've lost most of my hardcore buddies and now our non-boater friends join. I'm also ready for a bigger wave and less work of dealing with sacs.

My wife and I both surf goofy, so a good starboard side wave is what I'm looking for. I didn't strap my wakeboard on once last year so I'd say it's going to be nearly 100% surfing.

Here are the boats I'm considering

Tige 22V
Sanger V215
Centurion Avalanche.

Here are some thoughts I've come up with

Centurion Avalanche
Here's where I'm confused, is there a difference between the C4 and regular Avalanche? I notice a lot of them in 2004ish range have the walk through and no starboard seating, that won't work for me.

Pros: Great Surf, recognizable brand
Cons: Probably been surfed pretty hard, can't really think of any..

Tige 22v
Pros: Great wave and spacious. I spent a TON of time back in the day on my buddies 21V and I'm quite familiar with Tige.
Cons: Heavy to tow in the mountains, I'll have to install a legit ballast system at +2K or so, I remember my buddy's 21V always had issues with TAPS though. Vinyl quality was questionable back then too. His surf wave was pretty nice back then but we weren't adding crazy weight like we are now. I recall a ton of spray surfing on his too.

Sanger 21V
Pros: Lighter to tow, nice craftsmanship, built in ballast
Cons: Lower freeboard, tighter interior, it's an unknown brand and resale values here in Utah.

I'd love to get into another Malibu, as we know the waves are lacking in my price point.

I'm really not wanting to install another ballast system, my installs are just short of ghetto and it'll add a pretty penny for a pro install.

I tow with a low mileage 07 F150 5.4, it does my Sunsetter great here. I've considering going up to a 23' but with the added weight in the mountains you really need to step to a diesel 3/4+ ton truck and that's not going to happen.

Anything I'm missing or other boats I should consider? I'm basically looking for the best deal on the cleanest example I can find of the three mentioned.

Last edited by parkcityxj; 01-09-2017 at 9:28 AM.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-09-2017, 9:42 AM Reply   
You don't need a diesel. You have a crappy old 5.4 F150. I had the same truck. My 2014 Ecoboost F150 is a night and day difference. The only issue is potentially stopping power with the heavier load. If I only towed to my local lake it wouldn't be an issue but I travel through the mountains as well to our summer house. Coming down an 8% grade you need good breaks. This year I'm having electric over hydraulic breaks installed on my boat trailer which is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a diesel.

Then Centurion or Tige are probably going to be better surf boats for you. I wouldn't worry about the Taps issue. Haven't seen to many people with the same problem and it's a nice feature to have. It helps shape the wakeboard and surf wake. My 09 also puts out a great clean goofy side wave.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       01-09-2017, 10:22 AM Reply   
Have you considered some more obscure overlooked boats? Malibu 23XTI can throw a monster surf wave... would need additional ballast but with all the space inside it's do-able.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-09-2017, 6:07 PM Reply   
Jay,

What year Tige 22V? Does it have factory ballast or aftermarket? Name me a boat in that era that came factory surf ready and did not need a surf specific ballast configuration?

Also, is the TAPS system TAPS-1 or TAPS-2? Dont hear of a lot of TAPS-2 issue, except a ram now and then.

The 22V is certainly the biggest and heaviest out of those 3 but it throws a hell of a surf wave.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       01-09-2017, 6:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Jay,

What year Tige 22V? Does it have factory ballast or aftermarket? Name me a boat in that era that came factory surf ready and did not need a surf specific ballast configuration?

Also, is the TAPS system TAPS-1 or TAPS-2? Dont hear of a lot of TAPS-2 issue, except a ram now and then.

The 22V is certainly the biggest and heaviest out of those 3 but it throws a hell of a surf wave.
I'm looking at 2005 22Vs. The ones I'm coming across don't have ballast of any kind stock. My buddies leaked fluid all the time, that is my only experience with taps, I'm sure it's really nothing to worry about.

I'm planning on upgrading sacks and what not. I have about 8 of them right now from nearly 15+ years of wakeboarding/surfing. I do plan on getting a custom sac though. At this time I'm not feeling installing a full on ballast build from scratch. I have too many hobbies including a project and track car lol. I see that Wakemakers has some premade wiring harnesses to make things cleaner, there is slim chance I might go down that road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
You don't need a diesel. You have a crappy old 5.4 F150. I had the same truck. My 2014 Ecoboost F150 is a night and day difference.
My truck is a 4th vehicle that get driven 3-5K a year. I'm not planning on getting a new truck anytime soon, it's paid for and only has 50K miles on it. I tow 2-3 times a week to my local lake 15 miles away and I only do 2 big longer tows a summer. Those ecoboosts are badass, mabye one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit_rider View Post
Have you considered some more obscure overlooked boats? Malibu 23XTI can throw a monster surf wave... would need additional ballast but with all the space inside it's do-able.
I've had direct drives in my life for 30+ years, I'm over them

Last edited by parkcityxj; 01-09-2017 at 6:48 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-09-2017, 7:11 PM Reply   
05 would have TAPS-2. Factory in that boat would have been hard tanks, 4 of them. all 500 gph pumps and .75" hose. Yes, plan on gutting it if its factory. Nothing there to build on, period. The Fly High W712 Enzo is a decent fit, but a custom sac will net you a little more weight with a better fit. Either way, you want 1200+ on the surf side rear. If you end up with the Tige, check out tigeowners.com for custom ballast ideas.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       01-09-2017, 7:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
05 would have TAPS-2. Factory in that boat would have been hard tanks, 4 of them. all 500 gph pumps and .75" hose. Yes, plan on gutting it if its factory. Nothing there to build on, period. The Fly High W712 Enzo is a decent fit, but a custom sac will net you a little more weight with a better fit. Either way, you want 1200+ on the surf side rear. If you end up with the Tige, check out tigeowners.com for custom ballast ideas.
Here is one for example. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...22-v-102759570 I doesn't appear there is any factory ballast. Was it an option? I know in the early days Tige said it wasn't needed because they were equipped with TAPS lol.

I'm just starting to get my heavy research on. I'm seeing mud flaps, cutting of the platforms etc. I've been riding a lot, but out of loop with new tech, forums, etc.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-09-2017, 8:02 PM Reply   
yes, ballast was an option. it would have been 900# total, 250 each rear locker, 400 bow. It does look as if that boat does not have factory ballast or even any plumbed in aftermarket. IMO, this is a huge PRO for that boat. Much better to start from scratch and build a surf system rather than a system that was designed for wake boarding. Most dealers did not order the boats with ballast, as surfing was not yet the thing.

Perfect Pass is another plus.

No snake skin pattern in the vinyl is another plus.

The 340 HP Marine Power was a very strong engine. IMO, much better than the 343 PCM or 5.7 monsoon of the same era.

Also plan on replacing those clarion speakers and XMD head unit as you go.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-11-2017, 10:13 AM Reply   
I don't know that stock ballast in the Sanger will be great for surfing, as the rear tanks are only 250# I don't know if it will list it that much without some additional ballast or a bunch of people. I can tell you after owning a v215 for 8 seasons they are great boats. Interior usually has some issues after years of use, we had piping pulling out and had to replace the rear seat cover and another seat cover was due but we sold the boat. Stock ballast for wakeboarding makes a good wake for beginner/intermediate but if you want a "big" wake you'll need some lead or upgrade to a bow sac and bigger sacs out back instead of the hard tanks.

What could work well for your situation though could be a surf device like the swell or nauticurl if it had stock 1K in ballast. Not sure what kind of wave that would make with stock ballast but may be good?

Overall Sanger's are very nice and effective, Sport Boat trailers have a problem with the supports punching through the top of the tubing so check the welds if you look at one. We also had a bit of rust to deal with on a 10 year old trailer, I had to fix 6 weld/tubing failures on mine but I trailered with lead, however they started going bad before that. Not too much bling to worry about, if you can get a wake series 2 with all three ballast tanks that will help with you not having to plumb new stuff. They also hold their value, I paid 30k for mine and sold it 8 years later for 28k
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-11-2017, 1:47 PM Reply   
I would try and look for a Moomba XLV and put 1,100's in the rears. They should be in your price range.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-12-2017, 5:19 PM Reply   
I would suggest 2004+ Wakesetter LSV ... ours with 1100s swapped in the rear does a great job of surfing.

Paid $24k for ours w/ under 300 hours.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-13-2017, 7:53 AM Reply   
I have an 05 Sanger V215. It came with the triple ballast. The rear 250lb hard tanks weren't enough for surfing. I swapped both rear out for 1100lb bags that made a huge difference.
Old     (wyotige)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-14-2017, 8:22 AM Reply   
I have an 06 Tige 22ve and my buddy has an 06 Centurian Avy, I've spent plenty of time in the Centurian and have my boat dialed in so for what it's worth here is my thoughts.

The Centurian: the wave is great but only if we used a wake shaper like the "suckgates" that are out there. We built a $20 gate and it is an awesome wave. It doesn't have a hard lip like my Tige but lots of push and fun to ride. It handles chop WAY better than my Tige but I prefer driving my boat over his. It has a smaller beam and not as much freeboard as mine so it feels like a much smaller boat, bow to cockpit. It looks good on the water and so far it's been a trouble free boat. I'm sure the wave could get better but we think it's pretty legit as he's had it only one summer.

The Tige: love this boat, great wave if you have tons of ballast of which I do. It is fun to drive, I can slalom behind it and it does just about everything else in between. I think my dash set up and general look of the boat is better. It's not that great in heavy seas but handles nice. It has much more space in the bow and cockpit and more storage, as Chpthril stated the MP in my boat has been a great motor.

There it is.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       01-15-2017, 9:24 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses.. At this point I'm leaning towards the 22V, for the higher freeboard and wave size. We'll see though.

I've considered the older early 2000s 23/21 LSV to stay in the Malibu family, however I'm willing jump brands for a better wave and not be riding on the rub rail.

I run 2K in my Malibu DD, so I plan on getting custom sacs/running a lot of weight. I'm absolutely DONE with fat sacs all over the place, beyond over it! I built a suc gate and it made my wave larger but no push.

Kitto What is your set up? Do you have custom sacs or anything exposed?

Last edited by parkcityxj; 01-15-2017 at 9:29 AM.
Old     (wyotige)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-15-2017, 1:22 PM Reply   
I have custom bags from Chpthril, Mikes Liquid Audio. Nothing is sitting out unless it's just my buddy and I and then we pull out a smaller bag and put about 200 lbs of water in and put it on the seat. I would hate all those bags too.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       02-26-2017, 9:12 AM Reply   
Put a deposit down on 2004 Tige 22V Rider's Edition with the 6.0 liter. It goes in for a pre-purchase inspection tomorrow where the shop will go through and run it on the hose, scan for codes, etc. The hour meter says 130 hours but will get that verified tomorrow. It has everything I'm looking for: 4 sack ballast, Ronix wake shaper, PP, heater, bimini, tower speakers, 2 covers. etc. The trailer needs new bunks and a little love but overall a super clean boat with near perfect interior. Crossing my fingers it comes back with a clean bill of health.

Pic form the ad

Last edited by parkcityxj; 02-26-2017 at 9:16 AM.
Old     (OSUBUCKS)      Join Date: Feb 2017       02-26-2017, 9:47 AM Reply   
That looks pretty sweet... I was scared to go that Old... but that sounds like a good deal and looks great... hope it works out!
Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       03-22-2017, 4:19 PM Reply   
Guys, Special coupon code for wakeworld members, we just released a new model that floats, and as always is made in the USA!, www.swellwake.com, check out the videos on our website and youtube or PM me if you have any questions. Use the coupon code exclusive for members WW15% for 15% off your Wakesurf Creator for a limited time . . .

As always, PM me or comment here if you have any questions

Old     (Dandy21)      Join Date: May 2016       03-28-2017, 11:17 AM Reply   
I might be a bit late to this "party". Let us know how things progress on the purchase of the boat.

In addition, I just want to let you know that if you need any ballast or stereo related gear, reach out to TigeMike (chipthril) who has already commented on this thread. Mike seems to be more knowledgeable about ballast systems than anyone else on the forums. He has personally guided me through some ballast installs/upgrades. His service is second to none and will treat you right. Here is a link to his website.
http://www.mikesliquidaudio.com/

In addition, if you have picked up a Tige, I would strongly suggest visiting www.TigeOwners.com and set up a membership over there as well. Do a few searches on the forums and you will be surprised what you can learn about your boat. There are alot of great people there, that provide solid advice and believe it or not, are not entirely brand bias.

I am sure if you look around the Tige Owners site, you may find threads on upgrading the ballast on your 22V.

Last edited by Dandy21; 03-28-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added info on TigeOwners.com
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       03-29-2017, 8:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandy21 View Post
I might be a bit late to this "party". Let us know how things progress on the purchase of the boat.

In addition, I just want to let you know that if you need any ballast or stereo related gear, reach out to TigeMike (chipthril) who has already commented on this thread. Mike seems to be more knowledgeable about ballast systems than anyone else on the forums. He has personally guided me through some ballast installs/upgrades. His service is second to none and will treat you right. Here is a link to his website.
http://www.mikesliquidaudio.com/

In addition, if you have picked up a Tige, I would strongly suggest visiting www.TigeOwners.com and set up a membership over there as well. Do a few searches on the forums and you will be surprised what you can learn about your boat. There are alot of great people there, that provide solid advice and believe it or not, are not entirely brand bias.

I am sure if you look around the Tige Owners site, you may find threads on upgrading the ballast on your 22V.

Yup. Pulled the trigger on it last month after I had a pre purchase inspection done.

Mike has already helped me out with some stereo gear and the TigeOwners forum is great. I'm jonsing to get it out now. Thanks for looking out.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-30-2017, 8:08 AM Reply   
go to the ocean