Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-19-2014, 6:32 PM Reply   
Title says it. I have 2 12s in a box that came with my 215, ported. takes up damn near the entire observer locker, and the side of the locker is cut out and vented into the cabin area.
I think the box sucks and am going to have another made, but while im at it, I NEED more SPL, and traveling bass that will carry.
We mostly use our boat tied up, or docked at my folks larger boat. We dont wakeboard much, mostly a surf/party boat.
Im thinking 2 sundown 15's ported getting roughly 1100w rms each.
Current subs level 4 DC audio 12's two of them

Anyone done it in a v215?
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-19-2014, 6:54 PM Reply   
I feel awkward asking... but is your box to big? the DC subs require a smaller enclosure either ported or sealed. I'm now saying you wont get more SPL with 2 15s but 2 dc lvl 4's at 1100w each should belt out some sound... I would look into a correct volume, ported enclosure for your current 12s...

Last edited by BenHolloway; 02-19-2014 at 7:02 PM.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-19-2014, 7:00 PM Reply   
The subs/box that were in the boat when I bought it were 2 G5 boston 12's, powered by a Polk 600.1
The box is pretty small, it is pretty similar in size/design to this box
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310605510299...299%26_rdc%3D1

Slot ported on top, but instead of being a perfect rectangle, it is larger toward the rear of the box (opening of the observer hatch) and less in depth towards the front of the compartment. Following the contour of the boat. But id say overall box volume is about the same. I have that box from ebay that has 2 kicker comp CVR in it.
DC calls for 1.5cu per speaker/chamber for ported, so it shouldnt be too far off, but it sounds like ****
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-19-2014, 7:06 PM Reply   
The spec for 2 x15's is 8 cuft! I would look at a speaker box calculator type it in and see what it looks like... what is the sqin spec for the port? what is the length of the port? all this stuff matters...
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-19-2014, 7:14 PM Reply   
That box is probably water logged and swollen. This will certainly effect the performance of the current setup. Doesnt mater if you are changing the whole setup, but just dont go with a store-bought MDF box for the new setup.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-19-2014, 7:20 PM Reply   
definitely not going to use a pre fab box. Im going to have a new box built, maybe by Acme tops n tunes, if they dont try to take a testicle for the price tag.
I was just contemplating, if im going to go through the expense and headache of having a box done, why not bump up to 15s in the process
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-20-2014, 5:55 AM Reply   
I did 2 sundowns 15's ported on AQ2200. Then I changed to 4 sundown 12's ported on Sundown 3500 . They take up the same space just had to up the power.
The 4 12's are a little more cone area than 2 15's and with the extra power they get a good bit louder.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       02-20-2014, 6:13 AM Reply   
Where are you putting 4 12s
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-20-2014, 7:02 AM Reply   
I unfortunately have an older inboard/outboard so the 4 12's are under my rear bench seat.
The box is similar to the wetsounds box used for there 4 12's.
Attached Images

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       02-20-2014, 7:18 AM Reply   
Damn ! That's awesome. Do you have pics of it installed ?
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-24-2014, 9:26 PM Reply   
I have 2 in my v215. Not on the same side though. Still have quite a bit of storage in pass locker.
Attached Images

Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-24-2014, 9:27 PM Reply   
Number 2
Attached Images

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-24-2014, 9:30 PM Reply   
Sealed or ported?
They put out some good sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-25-2014, 9:44 AM Reply   
"They put out some good sound?"......^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YES
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-25-2014, 9:47 AM Reply   
I'm going with 2 13.5w7s
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-25-2014, 6:23 PM Reply   
Coops boat pounds!!!
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-25-2014, 8:38 PM Reply   
Mine are sealed. Shawn should post some pics of his! Prob closer to what you are thinking.
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-26-2014, 11:44 AM Reply   
^^^He asked about 15's, I've got 4 13's.

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-26-2014, 6:14 PM Reply   
Shawn is yours the V215 done by Acme with 4 13 w3's?

I think you should post those up too. I think he was thinking of using Acme for the box build.

JM, I don't think there's anyway to get two 15's in one location on the V215. I've got two 10's jammed under my helm in a sealed box. I'm pretty sure we all had to cut our seat base to accommodate them.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-26-2014, 6:17 PM Reply   
I'm going away with the bobsled seat base sanger threw in there, and going to a pedestal so that's not a big deal.
1 15 under the helm and 1 15 in the observer locker would prob sound pretty darn good though.
2 cubes able to fit under the helm?

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-26-2014, 6:21 PM Reply   
I've got 1.87 and its down firing so I'm sure that's not a problem.
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-26-2014, 7:38 PM Reply   
Here's the second half of the build

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778043
Attached Images

Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-26-2014, 7:40 PM Reply   
Here's 4 13W3's in sealed boxes.
Attached Images

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       02-26-2014, 7:48 PM Reply   
So jealous of all the room in there! That thing is sick!
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-26-2014, 8:08 PM Reply   
i hate to thread jack but shawn did you have them put any speakers inthe bow of the boat? im picking up a 215 next week and it doesnt have any up there and i was wondering about placement.

your boat is insane. Im pretty sure ive seen it on the dirty d before.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-26-2014, 8:11 PM Reply   
I want acme to build me a box, but they are pricey. If you don't mind me asking, or would pm me what they charged to make a box for you?

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-01-2014, 8:05 PM Reply   
Anyone have measurements on height, width, depth under the helm?
I'm trying to get the largest slot port box I can for a single 12.
Something like this, but in a width of 23" if it would fit. In the same spot as those 2 w3's that acme did.

CUSTOM SLOT-PORTED MDF ENCLOSURE BOX for 12" CAR SUBWOOFER 2.0 ft^3 TUNED @ 32Hz
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360485917401...401%26_rdc%3D1

Last edited by Jmorlan; 04-01-2014 at 8:07 PM.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-01-2014, 8:46 PM Reply   
Maybe this.
http://caraudiofactory.com/single-sl...c95707b230ebde

My other box for my locker compartment that holds 1 12 is 3cu, so I want to get as close as possible to the same size/tune box for under the helm
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-02-2014, 6:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
Title says it. I have 2 12s in a box that came with my 215, ported. takes up damn near the entire observer locker, and the side of the locker is cut out and vented into the cabin area.
I think the box sucks and am going to have another made, but while im at it, I NEED more SPL, and traveling bass that will carry.
We mostly use our boat tied up, or docked at my folks larger boat. We dont wakeboard much, mostly a surf/party boat.
Im thinking 2 sundown 15's ported getting roughly 1100w rms each.
Current subs level 4 DC audio 12's two of them

Anyone done it in a v215?
If you want bass to truly 'travel' then design your sub system with that specific goal in mind knowing that you will be making other compromises in the bass performance. To maximize bass projection you will have to make a trade-off. The trade-off will be in deep bass extension and linearity.
Deeper bass will not project in an open environment no matter what you do. It will take four times the amplifier power plus four times the woofer excursion to produce one octave of lower bass at the same amplitude. So that battle is a losing proposition.
You need to narrow the bass bandwidth to get maximum output and that means subtracting a little from the very bottom end. A higher 'Q' woofer in a ported box tuned higher with an adjustable subsonic filter set just below the tuning frequency might get you more output.
Beyond that, more cone surface area, regardless of the woofer size and configuration, will be most instrumental....as long as you stay with a 12-inch woofer or larger.
It is far more efficient to create output with surface area versus excursion.
A 15-inch sub simply has a lower resonance and just has a different sound. And it will be more likely to project bass over distance. You can't quite duplicate that with a greater quantity of smaller woofers. At the same time, you can cripple a 15-inch sub if you force it in too small of an enclosure. A 15-inch sub needs MUCH more box, and usually more than the increase in surface area would imply.
Larger enclosures with larger port displacements usually are more efficient. Cramming a big woofer in a small box with a protracted port length won't get you maximum output.
Engineer a box that does extremely well in the 50 Hz region. So perhaps a -3dB down point at 45 Hz and a subsonic filter at 35 Hz.
Also, you can lose a little momentum or gain a little leverage by how the subwoofers load into the boat boundaries. Positioned low against the sole. In one corner of the cockpit. As direct radiating as possible. Don't choke down the radiating surface area.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-02-2014, 9:36 AM Reply   
David, I have two kicker L7 12's under my helm in a sealed box. Powered by a 2000 watt Hifonics Brutus. Underpowered I know. I'm wondering if I went with a single 15 if this amp would be better suited for the single sub. The two 12's hit hard but I'm looking for bass you seriously feel in your chest. What's your opinion?
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-02-2014, 9:37 AM Reply   
Also, I could trade both 12's for a single 15 straight up. This a better option in a ported box?
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-02-2014, 10:12 AM Reply   
I have yet to be in a boat that you could REALLY feel the bass in your chest. Those lows are just not there in open air. I've been in some very LOUD boats though. Just not ones you could really take your breath.
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-02-2014, 10:19 AM Reply   
http://instagram.com/p/mJNG4mwSNm/

Here is a short video of mine, moving a full beer!
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-02-2014, 11:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
David, I have two kicker L7 12's under my helm in a sealed box. Powered by a 2000 watt Hifonics Brutus. Underpowered I know. I'm wondering if I went with a single 15 if this amp would be better suited for the single sub. The two 12's hit hard but I'm looking for bass you seriously feel in your chest. What's your opinion?
I'm not sure I would ever trade two 12" subs for one 15". Two 12"s have about a third more surface area but only require 20 to 25% more enclosure in a bass-reflex.
Sometimes its not just the amplifier power. Its the voltage supply. You get to a certain threshold with big systems, that if you really want serious bass you need to have a crazy battery bank that is maintained in tip top shape. Every time you step up the dominoes fall elsewhere and a new bottleneck pops up like a 'Whack a Mole'. But with certainty, bass flows downhill from the voltage/current supply.
If you want the system to hammer in a open boat you really have to go bass-reflex. You get another 1/3rd octave of bass extension before rolling off to the half power point and you get another 3 dB output over a large portion of the sub's bandwidth. Bass output never comes any cheaper than that. +3 dB is the equivalent of doubling your amplifier power but without all the dynamic compression and supply challenges. And like I mentioned before, to get the ultimate bass output you will likely have to starting cheating on other attributes.
"....feel in your chest." A Kicker L7 can do that. Not what I would call an SQ woofer but it definitely can be a jack hammer if you set it up correctly. You can propagate bass as deep as you want in an open boat without any regard to distance or wavelength, etc. However, all that energy flash evaporates in a full sphere. That kind of compression against your chest, is gone once you back away. It's so different from a vehicle where you have six planes folded around the subwoofer and the listener is inside the enclosure.