Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (doublemwa)      Join Date: May 2016       08-02-2016, 6:39 AM Reply   
Looking at the podiums over the past few seasons I started to question what drives riders to stick with board sponsors and why there isn't more flip flop. It seems most of the top 10 get a sponsor and then stick with them though out their careers. Do better deals just not come along? Do board cos not poach other athletes?

Seems the same goes for boat sponsors, which i'm sure are harder to come by. But none-the-less, what is stopping MC for poaching Nautique riders?
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-02-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
Contracts and cash
Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-02-2016, 7:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublemwa View Post
Looking at the podiums over the past few seasons I started to question what drives riders to stick with board sponsors and why there isn't more flip flop. It seems most of the top 10 get a sponsor and then stick with them though out their careers. Do better deals just not come along? Do board cos not poach other athletes?

Seems the same goes for boat sponsors, which i'm sure are harder to come by. But none-the-less, what is stopping MC for poaching Nautique riders?
There really just aren't enough companies to go around to warrant switches all the time you know? For a top 10 guy there is only a handful of board companies and even fewer boat companies that can afford to pay these guys. Most of the company budgets are maxed out for riders, so it usually always takes dropping somebody else to make room. Just kind a slow process, people do poach though, or at least try. Just takes a pretty big leap of faith to leave a sponsor who has been paying you good. Especially in a time like now where it is hard to come by money in the industry.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-02-2016, 12:35 PM Reply   
with cwb, hyperlite, byerly, liquid force, and obrien being owned by the same parent company, that limits a lot of the team switching.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-02-2016, 6:52 PM Reply   
Ever notice how often the non top ten switch? Especially to independent brands? That's because all the cash flow goes into the top 10 while the rest get nothing at all.

Boat companies are public now and that means they need to get lean, wakeboarders don't fit the corporate MC image anymore just to name one example.
Old     (doublemwa)      Join Date: May 2016       08-03-2016, 5:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
with cwb, hyperlite, byerly, liquid force, and obrien being owned by the same parent company, that limits a lot of the team switching.
Yeah, agreed. After writing this yesterday I thought the same. From an outsider, it seems LF does the best job of farming new talent, and then retaining them.