Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-23-2016, 12:21 PM Reply   
Went to a demo this weekend with the idea that I was in the market for a Moomba Mojo, a Supreme S238 or a used LSV23 (pre surf gate.)

After riding in each of the boats I feel like I'm now ONLY in the market for a LSV23 w/ surf gate.

None of the other options were rocking a surfable wave with the factory surf systems and ballasts.

I was very dissapointed.

Is this just the dealers not sacking the boats out enough? I'm not entirely interested in dealing with a ghetto gate or skateboard ramp on a new boat but I am completely fine with having to upgrade/plumb/re-work the ballast systems. I went into the demo thinking the difference between the surf wave on these boats would be minimal.... I left blown away by surf gate and skeptical of everything else.
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-23-2016, 5:59 PM Reply   
Axis T23 ...the surf wake is outstanding!!!
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-24-2016, 4:11 AM Reply   
MB B52. I liked it better than the lsv and saved 10k
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-24-2016, 4:12 AM Reply   
And it came with go surf assist
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-24-2016, 4:33 AM Reply   
Cant speak to the others but the supreme needs more than stock ballast. We have the wakemakers 238 sack buster kit plus 500lbs of lead in ours and the wake is money. You can get away with less ballast if you just list the boat though
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-24-2016, 7:38 AM Reply   
T23 is out because the windshield does not pass the girlfriend approval criteria. I'm not a fan, either.

I like the MB B52 but we don't have a local dealer and there's not much out there used right now.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-24-2016, 9:15 AM Reply   
Try the Supreme wake listed beats any surf system wake. Quick surf works with extra ballast but still not as good as listed
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-24-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
Harold, Any video to back that up? There are a lot of people on this board that are more than just "loyal" to their brand. I'm always skeptical when someone has such one sided praise.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-24-2016, 9:32 AM Reply   
Most dealers aren't gonna sack a boat out to its full potential. just too many liability issues. I'm running 2000 lbs to get my 23' boat where it needs to be. stock weight configuration would've been maybe 750 for surf.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-24-2016, 9:37 AM Reply   
Wotan- have you tried an NSS equipped boat? A lot of people will tell you there is no replacement for displacement, meaning a listed boat will most of the time produce a better wave than a boat using a surf system. IMO, I like how easy it is for a novice driver to hop in and drive a non listed boat using a surf system.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-24-2016, 12:16 PM Reply   
Not brand loyal you just can't beat a listed centurion or supreme with a surf system wake. The new 16 g23 is on par with them but you did not ask about nautique. The 238 is new for 16 so only had ours out a few times so far ran listed and with quick surf. I prefer listed so far but the quick surf does work with more weight. I'll post some pics when I get home from work.
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-24-2016, 1:03 PM Reply   
I was definitely in the no replacement for displacement camp until I saw the surf gate in person. It was that good. There's a reason they are defending their patent -- it seems to work.

The other dealers all spent a lot of breath telling me how their systems were better than surf gate..... but when we were on the water, none of them worked. I get that they were probably underweighted but they should have explained that. The big selling point with all of the mfg surf systems is that you don't need additional ballast. That's not what I saw, though!

@Nauti210 -- You are right. I didn't test the NSS. Maybe it works great? Unfortunately, the Gs are out of my price range and I don't like the walk-through transoms. Did they make any boats without that?

Last edited by wotan; 05-24-2016 at 1:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-24-2016, 1:22 PM Reply   
yes, you can get a filler cushion for any model Nautique that works great if you like to lay out on the back deck. It's magnetic and sticks to the under side of the rear locker door when not in use. I personally love the walk-through.. keeps people from stepping all over your vinyl.

go demo a 210 or 230 with NSS. you won't be disappointed.
Attached Images

Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       05-24-2016, 2:01 PM Reply   
Have a 210 with nss and works great, I like thati can fine tune the wave ,as my wife prefers a surf style wave and I prefer a skim style wave , I believe surf gate is off or on and not adjustable. It is not that I believe malibu is worse, I had to choose between the two and I choose nautique for the different styles of wake.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-24-2016, 2:56 PM Reply   
^Yep. With NSS and NCRS being adjustable you can have different waves on the fly to accommodate any rider.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-24-2016, 6:48 PM Reply   
The gate will make the wave look with less weight, but once you ride it you'll know you need just as much weight as all the rest
Old     (302_Rider)      Join Date: Oct 2015       05-24-2016, 7:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockthis View Post
Have a 210 with nss and works great, I like thati can fine tune the wave ,as my wife prefers a surf style wave and I prefer a skim style wave , I believe surf gate is off or on and not adjustable. It is not that I believe malibu is worse, I had to choose between the two and I choose nautique for the different styles of wake.

The Malibu/axis does not have any control over the surf system but it does have a wedge. Obviously the power wedge on the Malibu is more adjustable than the manual wedge on the axis. But wedge down and the wave turns into a nice surf wave. Wedge up and it gets nice skim style wake.
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       05-25-2016, 7:59 AM Reply   
I test drove/rode both and NSS (IMO) was better. like others have said adjusting your wave is nice so I bought a G23 instead of a 23LSV,

note this was before the M235.