Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-07-2016, 10:33 AM Reply   
So a buddy of mine told me about this new $500 wake shaper that was coming out back in May, and I was definitely skeptical at first. Then I read more about it, and saw the videos, and decided to give it a try. I loved the idea of running an even ballast setup, and just switching the shaper from one side to the other for goofy riders. Plus with a 30 day return policy (with a restock fee), the risk seemed pretty low.

Previous to this, my listed setup was a single ballast puppy feeding two bags on the port side - a 750lb in the port stern locker, and a 300lb bag under the port side seats. It took about 10 minutes to fill, and produced a pretty decent wave. When I filled up the 300lb bag under my bow seats, or added a bunch of people, I felt like the wave was pretty good.

After ordering the Delta, I decided to remove the bag under the seats, and add another 750lb bag to the driver side locker with its own pump, to even out the setup. So that was my June project, to re-plumb my system and wire in a new ballast puppy. One big debate I had was whether I could use the existing 1" thru-hull I'd drilled for the initial setup to feed both bags, and the original vent hole as well. I talked to the guys at Wakemakers, and got 2 different recommendations.

The first guy was convinced that each bag needed it's own isolated thru hulls for "optimal performance", but the second guy wasn't so sure. I decided to hedge my bets and try a shared setup to see if it would take way too long to fill and drain, and worst case scenario, drill a couple of holes later. A key thing here is that rather than just having a "T" fitting from the thru-hull to the pumps, I found that Wakemakers has a "Wye" fitting to split the feed, and good news, it works like a charm! I used a standard "T" for the vent line, which worked fine there.

First session with the Delta on the boat, both bags filled in 2 songs (less than 6 minutes), and once I popped up, it was by far the best wave my Calabria has ever produced with just my wife, and 3 young teens in the boat. The Perfect Pass was set to 10.5mph, and after getting up, I immediately felt stable in the pocket, and had the sensation that I could stay on that wave forever. I decided to test that theory and tossed the rope, and was able to carve it up to my heart’s content for my longest ride ever! The wave is long, clean, and powerful. Setup-wise, I had the Delta as far back as it can go, and just barely below the water line.

This last weekend, however, my friend’s son rides goofy, and after switching the Delta to the other side, and setting up the same way, the wave came out washy, and we had a hard time cleaning it up. Even upping the speed to 11.5+, it didn’t want to clean up all the way. I’m sure it has something to do with prop rotation, and people placement, but we didn’t take the time to test multiple setups.

Still, I'm going to call this a success story, and it feels FANTASTIC to have my surf setup totally dialed in.

I'm hitting Lake Chelan in WA for a week, and I'll try to remember to get some pictures and video of the wave (and my *****-eating grin) .
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-07-2016, 10:56 AM Reply   
I got the same boat. Can you snap a pic of the location of the delta ON the boat. I made one and it just seems OK. I alos made a platform attachment that is OK as well. And some pics of the wave would be cool too, maybe im just expecting too much.
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-07-2016, 11:17 AM Reply   
Yeah man, happy to. I don't have any pics of the Delta on the boat in the water, but I'll try to remember to snap that. Attached is a pic of the Delta in basically the same spot on the trailer. Ideally, they said it should be just below the water line and as far back as you can go. So, taking another peek at this picture, it's probably a good foot+ lower here than in reality, because my swim deck is well-buried when the ballast is full.

And I didn't mention it, but obviously my stock ballast is full too for the surf setup.

Surf pics and video to follow next week
Attached Images

Last edited by seadawg; 07-07-2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: info
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-07-2016, 5:39 PM Reply   
What year is yours?....mine and yours are twins from the look of it. I raised my platform 4 inches 2 years ago to get it out of the water, I also stained it black cause I got nothing else on my boat that's wood.
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-08-2016, 9:51 AM Reply   
I just saw some of your previous messages. It sure does look like we have twin boats. And you're not afraid of a project, are you??

Mine is a 2002, I absolutely love it, and honestly can't picture myself getting another wake boat. I've put lots of work and enjoyed many good time in this one and it totally does what I want it to do. I've got 2 friends that each keep bugging me to "upgrade" so they can buy this from me, but that's a non-starter.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-08-2016, 10:54 AM Reply   
Yeah, I go to the boat shows and I see all the cool new boats. Can't see them being THAT much better. Mine does everything it needs to do, now that ive gotten almost all my projects done. I still want the sub under the dash, its just such a tight squeeze might have to get the pros to do that one but we'll see this winter. Oh and I need a new glove box but that's not a pressing need.
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-08-2016, 11:03 AM Reply   
Not sure if you're planning on putting the sub under the driver's console or on the port side. It seems like most boats these days have the sub at the driver's feet, but the previous owner of mine put ours in the storage under the glove box with the amp mounted right next to it, and it didn't take up that much room. We still have space for a big tool bag, orange life vests, throwable cushion, 3 big fenders, plus I've moved my two batteries to that spot as well. Something to think about.

The only thing that's gone wrong with mine lately is that the heater core finally gave up the ghost last week. I was mid-surf when my wife shut down the boat because scalding hot water was shooting out on the floor by her feet. After a little research, I figured it out and got it temporarily fixed by bypassing the heater core and just joining the two hoses together with a 5/8" coupler from the auto store. We have rarely used the heater anyway, so I may not replace it.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-08-2016, 11:21 AM Reply   
I've moved my batteries already, and moved the heater too, I have quick connects so that I can bypass the heater in the event of 1 it fails or 2 we want to ride in the cooler months with suits. I had the sub in the locker for a while, but you just lose so much output when its in there. The center aisle seat/sub box has been the best location so far. I tried to do a ported enclosure and although it looked GREAT, it didn't sound so hot. I also got different ballast gate openers and have them on separate switches as well as 2 johnsons with Y valves on separate switches so that I can fill both locker bags, a bag for under the seats and a bag that I keep in the in floor cooler area to be placed anywhere in the boat I need it when we have a smaller crew.
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-19-2016, 4:25 PM Reply   
OK Billy, I've got some pics for you. And glad to hear that you've done so much more with the boat than most owners. I also installed the "Drainmaster" ballast gates, and they've been a huge improvement.

Anyway, as far as the surf wave, we got a bunch of riding in last week, and when I put the shaper too low on the boat, the resulting wave was not good. Not terrible, but putting the Delta in the position in the pictures was spot on for me. Just below the water line, and pretty far back.

We did end up having one mechanical problem - the Idle Air Valve Controller died on me. But as it turns out, it was a $55 part from the auto store, and easy to replace.
Attached Images

Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-20-2016, 5:17 AM Reply   
Thanks for the pics, I built one like that that im going to try next time out. I'll start in that position. That sure is some pretty water, we got nothing like that here in Georgia.
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-20-2016, 5:01 PM Reply   
You built one? Very cool! I'd love to see a pic and the wave it produces. And yeah, the water in Eastern WA is beautiful, that's for sure.

Here's a link to a surfing vid from last week to get a better look at the wave:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u93NkdYYcro
Old     (Giddyup)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-20-2016, 10:10 PM Reply   
great video, sweet water
Old     (malibumatt)      Join Date: May 2006       07-21-2016, 9:07 AM Reply   
any luck cleaning up the goofy side? I have been looking at this but most everybody on my boat rides goofy.
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-21-2016, 10:15 AM Reply   
Thanks Mark, we're definitely lucky when it comes to water quality in the PNW. Water temp on the other hand can be a challenge.

Matt, about the goofy side wake, I've only tried having a guy surf there once so far, and not since, but that may well change tomorrow morning. I'll definitely plan on messing with the speed and the placement of the Delta and report back if it happens.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-22-2016, 12:03 PM Reply   
Headed out for an evening session. Got a new Skyski so cant wait to try it out. But I'll also try a little surfing with my gate in the location you had yours.
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-22-2016, 3:08 PM Reply   
Sounds like fun - go get 'em, Billy!

By the way, Matt, Seattle being Seattle, we got rained out this morning. Goofy-side report will have to wait.
Old     (drpringle)      Join Date: Feb 2016       07-22-2016, 11:15 PM Reply   
Anyone try listing a boat with the mission delta ?