Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       03-26-2018, 7:21 PM Reply   
You can get a decent one for around 1000 used, I ACCIDENTALLY won one on ebay for 500 ( the original airchair ) would advise against that though. They are much harder to ride. Foilforum is a decent source to browse through. other than that just do the rounds on the wake forums and craigslist and you'll see some for sale.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-27-2018, 2:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbilly View Post
You can get a decent one for around 1000 used, I ACCIDENTALLY won one on ebay for 500 ( the original airchair ) would advise against that though. They are much harder to ride. Foilforum is a decent source to browse through. other than that just do the rounds on the wake forums and craigslist and you'll see some for sale.
So airchair is harder than a skyski?
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-27-2018, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
So airchair is harder than a skyski?
Current offerings by both companies are very good. The biggest reason to avoid the original air chair is that you'll outgrow it very fast, as it's not hard to find the upper end of its performance. There's also no uprgrades really possible to the originals, so you end up buying an entirely different foil.

The original Skyski on the other hand rides much better than the original air chair. Additionally, if you get a little further into Sky-skis (beyond original offerings) you can upgrade them considerably with different foils, longer t-bars, etc.

No matter how you slice it, it's an expensive sport to get into and the learning curve is pretty shallow without someone to teach you.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-27-2018, 8:01 PM Reply   
Fact: a VERY sweet foil can be had for $4k. But...it works for everyone, works just a well on a $10-$30k boat without ballast as it does on a pimped out G costing $120k more. Also, I guarantee that 85% of people who can do a legit 360 wakesurfing have more than $4k into all the boards they have bought over the past 2-4 yrs. Not even talking about gas pushing a 10,000 pound surf pig.

So yes...the skyski looks expensive and hard, but it's actually waaay cheaper and once you get it, you got it forever. Just google Pine Lake Hydrofoil or Parker Hydrofoil to get an idea of what can be done....and it you look, everyone huking huge air are old to middle age dudes.

Anyways...SkySki is fun, safe, pretty easy after the first 20 pulls, and you can ride forever. If I had to get rid of every toy on my boat except one thing..I'd keep the sky ski, really miss the slalom and fondly remember old man wakeboarding.

Foiling FTW
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-28-2018, 3:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes View Post
Fact: a VERY sweet foil can be had for $4k. But...it works for everyone, works just a well on a $10-$30k boat without ballast as it does on a pimped out G costing $120k more. Also, I guarantee that 85% of people who can do a legit 360 wakesurfing have more than $4k into all the boards they have bought over the past 2-4 yrs. Not even talking about gas pushing a 10,000 pound surf pig.

So yes...the skyski looks expensive and hard, but it's actually waaay cheaper and once you get it, you got it forever. Just google Pine Lake Hydrofoil or Parker Hydrofoil to get an idea of what can be done....and it you look, everyone huking huge air are old to middle age dudes.

Anyways...SkySki is fun, safe, pretty easy after the first 20 pulls, and you can ride forever. If I had to get rid of every toy on my boat except one thing..I'd keep the sky ski, really miss the slalom and fondly remember old man wakeboarding.

Foiling FTW
The Pine Lake guys were involved in our wakeboard tour for last few years. All of the guys are super friendly, helpful and just all around great dudes.

But make no mistake, on the water these guys are bananas. They chuck flips 20 feet up like its nothing. To me, it looks so dangerous compared to anything else on the water but they claim its easier on the body than wakeboarding. Also almost every rider is in their 30's or 40's. Its definitely entertaining to watch.