Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-24-2016, 7:27 PM Reply   
Hey guys. Finally pulled the trigger and traded in my 05 Tundra for a spanky new 16 Ram Limited Ecodiesel. I'll the same thing I told my buddies, "yeah the Ford guy that drives a Toyota bought a Dodge." I say that cause I grew up Ford, owned a couple rangers out of high school till I needed a half ton crew. In 05, the Tundra was just the best value and resale, I didn't plan on keeping it 11 years but when the CAD rose a while back, there went my reason to trade up. Then houses and boats got in the way, which is good, cause I wouldn't be on here otherwise. Anyway, not up for debate on what the best truck is now, I drove em all and in my eyes, Ram wins this round. Plus I've had my heart set on a 1/2 ton diesel for years, and I could wait for the Ford to come out because my Tundra was going to start costing me coin which would have cut into my trade in profit. Mileage was big factor so the Titan was ruled out, plus no auto 4wd. I'm told the Ecodiesel will easily pull my boat, my cousin said his tows his Malibu with ease. I have an Epic 23V. I'm looking for verification on the towing, cause mine has been stored for a couple months now. I'm also looking for tips on additives and maintenance from some real owners. I'm a bit of a newbie to diesels. I'm in sask where we see -40C and I got a floor heated garage. I'm also fairly mechanical, I can do basic oil and filter changes like nobodies business. Sorry for the long intro! Thx
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-24-2016, 7:58 PM Reply   
Pic
Attached Images

Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       11-25-2016, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsner31 View Post
Pic
Love my old gas guzzling 5.9 older ram to pull, on flat coastal land with great low angle launches, I'm opting for 2.7 eco super crew with tow package in the low low low 30's in a xlt chrome and 1st actual level luxury package and 18 inch rims. Been hearing of the eco diesel, similar trim and tow, what range before tax do you end up in???? To get this puller, again I'm on low mostly flat ground, and diesel when economy rolls will be the 1st to go back up even as the cheaper distillate. Will
The additional investment come back when being a commuter and not a puller 5-7 days a week vs 1-2 days a week. Interested in your Ford history response
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       11-25-2016, 7:54 AM Reply   
Also fully aware that the diesel of my era in the 1500 2000'',it got 13 to 17 in city , and 14-20+ on hwy pulling or not which was great (might have been in a 4x4)at the time but diesel was cheap then which for that era was fantastic and killing gas 5.9 with 8 pulling in tow mod, 10 city and 15 hwyand not the premium diesel carries today.

Last edited by granddaddy53; 11-25-2016 at 7:57 AM.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-25-2016, 9:01 AM Reply   
Did you get the air suspension? I tow a lot of boats, none of them faze the ecodiesel. I love lowering the air suspension, getting under the tongue with the back up camera, then raising up to lock in the ball. The air suspension also self levels which is nice...
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-25-2016, 11:59 AM Reply   
GD53, I got the Limited, sticker was 75k, got it for 56k, CAD. Makes you wonder bout the sticker prices. I was hooked up with the dealer, plus got family pricing. As for my Ford history, we had all Ford growing up on the farm. From an '85 350 crew cab diesel to the newer Super duty till about 2005. Love the new F150's, just wanted the mileage. From talking to my buddies with Fords, I'm about 10 real world mpg better. I don't tow a lot, my boat stays at the lake. I only tow it back and forth a couple times a year, depending on our plans. But we take the truck just about every weekend up there which is about 200 km each way. This Ecodiesel gets almost as good mileage as our minivan, tough to beat.

Lionel, yeah air suspension comes standard in the Limited. Seems like it will do the trick. I actually have it in right now cause the "service air suspension" warning keeps coming on. It still goes into aero on the highway most of the time. Hope they find a bad sensor or something. I don't want this to be a pain. The auto levelling will be sweet.
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-25-2016, 1:09 PM Reply   
That mpg comparison is my friends with 3.5 Eco boost saying they get about 14 l/100 km (20 mpg UK, 16.5 mpg US) with the cruise set at 110 km/hr (68 mph) and I'm getting 9.2 l/100 km (30 mpg UK, 25.5 mpg US) at the same speed. This is average of course, and lots of factors can affect mileage. And yes diesel can be more, but it can be less then gas too. Right now in Saskatchewan it's only 4 cents/litre more. In the long run, diesels save you money. If trade your vehicle off every year or two, you're wasting money. I plan on keeping this for at least 10 years.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       11-25-2016, 2:52 PM Reply   
-40? I'd be adding some anti-gel additive or maybe mixing in gasoline at those temps. I only had mine gel up once when it got to negative single digits. Good luck with the EPA compliant computer truck, expect big problems after a few years. Personally I stick to reliable mechanically injected diesel engines.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-26-2016, 8:47 AM Reply   
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel , but the tradesmen edition. Don't need all the fancy stuff for a work truck . Anyhow it tows my Ski Nautique just fine, which is much lighter than your Epic though. I live on a lake and the ramp is practically on my property so I don't tow far that often. But I have towed up to Lake Shasta which is about 200 miles or so . No problems at all. Also have towed my 7000lbs travel trailer. And it seemed to do pretty well. I think it will do fine towing your Epic. I live in California so cant help you on the additives. Gas mileage is Awesome! Average about 29mpg.

Last edited by rodltg2; 11-26-2016 at 8:49 AM.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       11-27-2016, 7:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2 View Post
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel , but the tradesmen edition. Don't need all the fancy stuff for a work truck . Anyhow it tows my Ski Nautique just fine, which is much lighter than your Epic though. I live on a lake and the ramp is practically on my property so I don't tow far that often. But I have towed up to Lake Shasta which is about 200 miles or so . No problems at all. Also have towed my 7000lbs travel trailer. And it seemed to do pretty well. I think it will do fine towing your Epic. I live in California so cant help you on the additives. Gas mileage is Awesome! Average about 29mpg.
Ok,2016 Ford Super Crew eco 2.7 with 3.73 e lock and tow package fancy red paint and XLT luxury trim (I'm a flatlander at sea level with only bridges), $32250 before TTL(actually $31750 cause their giving me $500 more than my truck is worth on trade ) , so how much for tradesman version, the luxury truck (wish I could have but new I couldn't afford even tradesman version) above no way ever makes up for cost diff through diesel efficiency.

Last edited by granddaddy53; 11-27-2016 at 7:09 AM.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-28-2016, 10:20 AM Reply   
I thought he ecodiesel was a much better driver than the 250 with the terrible brakes. Air suspension is awesome. Wish all manufacturers would consider that on the 250's. What a way to keep the capacity with a great ride when empty. Loved the 2017 F250 a little more and ordered one of those.
Old     (Minnesotasurfer)      Join Date: Feb 2015       12-07-2016, 7:42 AM Reply   
I currently have a 2014 Ecodiesel bighorn with the 3.55's and used to own a 2013 Epic 23v and it pulled it just fine. I owned a 2012 F150 ecoboost before that and with the same max torque the ecodiesel pulls it better. I now own a 2016 Supreme S238 and it pulls that good too. If I pulled more I would move up to a bigger truck, but now I only have a 2 mile drive to the lake. I also live where its cold (Minnesota) and I have never gelled even sitting outside at -32. So I have had great luck with my truck. I have 85,000 on mine and been really fortunate. the one thing a lot of people have put in is the GDE tune to take care of the EGR. They say it doesn't void warranty, but I have had good enough luck, that I will wait till 100k to do that, unless I trade up first. My ecodiesel with 3.55's makes around 25 and the ecoboost I have made around 17. Also a Ford guy.
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-07-2016, 6:57 PM Reply   
Good to hear guys. I can't wait to tow er. I have have the 3.92 so I should be laughing. I talked to a local diesel shop and they told me don't waste money on anti-gel additives unless you buy bulk summer diesel. The pumps in cold areas change to winter diesel well in advance of it getting cold. I bought a brand called 4+ Premium, same stuff a buddy of mine uses in his cummins. Supposed to clean injectors, lubricate, boost power and mileage, etc. The guy at the diesel shop said the mileage gain pays for it. It's concentrated, the bottle for $20 treats 1100L. Ran a tank through and actually seems like mileage got worse. Just filled today and going to run a tank through without to see. Might be calling them back.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       12-11-2016, 5:02 PM Reply   
I have a 14' Ecodiesel just turned 50000 miles problem free other than the early ones HD problems with the def injection. All was taken care of under warranty. I have a 05 Enzo 23' and have no problem towing from Pennsylvania to Tennessee through the mountains. Even when I would get slowed up by traffic going up grades I had no problem getting back up to speed. I also love the air ride.
Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       12-13-2016, 1:22 PM Reply   
I have a 2014 jeep grand Cherokee eco diesel w/ the 8 speed trans. Love the fuel mileage it gets. It pulls better than our 2008 5.7l Yukon. we pull a supreme v226 with it and no problems.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-14-2016, 5:40 AM Reply   
2008 Yukon doesn't have a 5.7. It's either a denali with a 6.2 or any other Yukon with a 5.3.
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-14-2016, 7:46 AM Reply   
I test drove an ecodiesel and wanted to love it, but I didn't. For all that torque, it was super slow. For pulling, no doubt it would be great, but seeing that 99.9% of my time I am not towing, I went with the 3.5L ecoboost. Much more fun to drive. If fuel economy is your main concern, that's a different story, but even then, you would have to drive a ton of miles to pay off the upcharge for that engine.

Here's a side by side comparison of the ecodiesel to the 2.7 ecoboost (which still beats it easily in a 0-60). Link
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       12-14-2016, 3:13 PM Reply   
If racing was my main concern is would have considered a ecoboost. Part of the pay off of the up charge is the higher resale value.
Ecoboost guys love to hate but outside some 0-60 speeds the Ecodiesel is hands down a better motor.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       12-18-2016, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailem View Post
If racing was my main concern is would have considered a ecoboost. Part of the pay off of the up charge is the higher resale value.
Ecoboost guys love to hate but outside some 0-60 speeds the Ecodiesel is hands down a better motor.
Not sure how you get hands down a better engine for the ecodiesel. The only category it beats the ecoboost in is fuel mileage. The out going ecoboost models have the same torque as the ecodiesel and about 100 more HP. The new ecoboosts have 50 lbft more torque and like 110 more hp.

I have never driven an ecodiesel but I do have an ecoboost with a 3.15 rear end and it pulls my not very heavy Moomba LSV with ease. All publications I have read as well state that the ecoboost is quicker while towing than the ecodiesel. The other big advantage of the dodge over the ford is the air suspension but when parts on that start to fail it could be a nightmare. I think manufacturers should start using Nivomat style shocks on their trucks to self level heavy loads.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-19-2016, 10:05 AM Reply   
I'm glad people are liking them. I waited years for a half ton diesel. Finally they arrive and I was getting reports of them being under powered. That seems to not be the case. But while waiting, I decided to just go big.
Attached Images

Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       12-19-2016, 5:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
Not sure how you get hands down a better engine for the ecodiesel. The only category it beats the ecoboost in is fuel mileage. The out going ecoboost models have the same torque as the ecodiesel and about 100 more HP. The new ecoboosts have 50 lbft more torque and like 110 more hp.

I have never driven an ecodiesel but I do have an ecoboost with a 3.15 rear end and it pulls my not very heavy Moomba LSV with ease. All publications I have read as well state that the ecoboost is quicker while towing than the ecodiesel. The other big advantage of the dodge over the ford is the air suspension but when parts on that start to fail it could be a nightmare. I think manufacturers should start using Nivomat style shocks on their trucks to self level heavy loads.
Again you talking some quickness. Very marginal in the long run. Any time saved with quickness will easily be made up while the ecoboost is getting off the highway and fueling up.
I get 28-29mpg highway empty and 18-19 pulling my boat full of gear through the mountains. I never had a problem when getting slowed to a near stop climbing a mountain passing everyone to get back up to speed.
To each there own but I'll give up a few seconds on a climb to save 20 minutes stopped for fuel.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       12-19-2016, 7:39 PM Reply   
I like my old iron 80s Ford with it's long range. Farthest I've gone is 743 miles, with at least 4 gallons left. Now that I've swapped an overdrive transmission and ditched the slushbox torque converter in it should be over 1000 miles. I'd like to put a larger front tank in but I don't think there's much point as my bladder can't last that long anymore and 1000 miles is plenty for one day, maybe whenever it rusts out and starts leaking.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       12-20-2016, 5:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
I like my old iron 80s Ford with it's long range. Farthest I've gone is 743 miles, with at least 4 gallons left. Now that I've swapped an overdrive transmission and ditched the slushbox torque converter in it should be over 1000 miles. I'd like to put a larger front tank in but I don't think there's much point as my bladder can't last that long anymore and 1000 miles is plenty for one day, maybe whenever it rusts out and starts leaking.
Now that's some serious range. How big is the current fuel tank?

Last edited by nailem; 12-20-2016 at 5:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       12-25-2016, 11:00 AM Reply   
19 gallon front and 38 gallon rear, 57 total.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-25-2016, 6:18 PM Reply   
I drove from Texas to Virginia and back. It's 1560 miles one way and very mountainous through Tennessee and Virginia. I averaged 72 to 80 mph and 20 mpg the whole way. I have a 2015 F150 with a 5.0 . It pulls my RZ2 Tige just fine at 14mpg avg. But here in the USA Diesel is 35 cents a gallon more than Regular 87 octane. I've had a Diesel and after initial extra cost , cost difference in fuel and extra cost of oil changes. You have to want a diesel or need a diesel to justify it. Cost wise a gas motor is less total outlay for at least 7-10 years. Then the diesel starts to recover the difference. To each his own but i'll take the convenience and ride comfort of the gas truck every day. I have the tow package on my truck so it will tow within 200 lbs of the ecoboost motor and no turbos to worry about.