Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-14-2015, 2:04 PM Reply   
In the interest of getting some conversation and debate on here… I wanted to pose a question… what's going to be the next big thing in Wakeboarding?

We've seen a push to Double Flips… grabbing on rails… the age of right angles and proper board grabs… late grabs…

So… what comes next? With all these great areas of the sport accelerating, boat coming back to live with some great new big wake boats, cables continuing to pop up, and winch still dropping jaws (i.e. Drop The Gun) from time to time… what's the next big thing coming?
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-17-2015, 10:34 PM Reply   
Hopefully our next step will be to stop doing the one foot thing. I think it looks kind of cool, I also think it is about the worst trend ever for the safety of riders in a sport vastly populated by people who would absolutely wreck their knees in a heart beat trying it, not to mention some wonderful professionals as well.

I can imagine with the massive size of wakes now seeing stuff get pushed later and later and maybe more kiteboarding style of stuff. Im all for that, I really dig late spins as you mentioned late grabs were/are big. I want to see stuff hung out like a bs 313. Floaty tricks are fun and can add heaps of style, especially as you see big boards like the nomad pop up

Maybe we could get further support of osmosis tricks. I would love to see an osmosis 9 (that hasnt been done has it?) or an osmosis bs313.

I like osmosis tricks.. I also wonder about with boat coming back to life if that might mesh with this new school retro vibe we are in plus shapiro coming back and bring back stuff like orbitals, which I would be down for 100%
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-17-2015, 11:37 PM Reply   
I think the next thing will be to stop grabbing on rails. It's dumpy.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-18-2015, 9:40 AM Reply   
I would like to see some more line tension tricks worked out. I love the rewinds that are only possible in wakeboarding due to the rope. I would love to see some kids start doing them on flips and rolls besides in spins. I love this aspect of the sport, its something that is 100% unique to wakeboarding.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-18-2015, 2:52 PM Reply   
^ I would like a video of some examples of this by July Andy, Flip/Roll rewind. Maybe you could have them down by May but Ill give you till July
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-20-2015, 5:02 PM Reply   
I would have to agree with an amalgam of the posts above…

I think the evolution of Wakeboarding, whether it's boat or cable, is to continue with those "finer" details that truly separate it from other sports out there and add that extra level of technical and style. I'm loving how people are near pausing their spins to poke a proper grab out and then finish the rotations, the creative timing on double grabs, the rewinds we're seeing on cable from Daniel grant, etc… lots of great things.

I think that's a super cool idea, Andy - definitely something purely wakeboarding. It's like Invert-ephants! haha
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-20-2015, 8:13 PM Reply   
Hey Joel, Idk if you'd count this as an osmosis 9. But it counts in my book lol

PS the slurpee is the next big thing in wakeboarding haha
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-20-2015, 8:25 PM Reply   
Also, it's funny that you associated the 1 foot thing and having more time in the air with kiteboarding...because the key figures in the kiteboarding community concerned with style hate the one foot stuff and tricks that require the kite to be directly overhead like a parachute. They focus on having the kite as low as possible so that the pull is as directly forward as possible as if it were a boat. Obviously that ups the risk factor too. But they call it wakestyle.
I just thought it was funny in a reflective sense of what one thinks the other is/wants to be.
http://kitescoop.com/forum/viewforum...4ff26b8d588643
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-22-2015, 3:44 AM Reply   
I agree VinnyA the SLURPEE is on a comeback! Cory T did it to 5 and almost a 7...those kids are the future!
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-22-2015, 8:18 AM Reply   
Has anyone even attempted a 009 since Matt Sims?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-22-2015, 4:56 PM Reply   
Zane - where's the footage of that?!
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-23-2015, 3:16 AM Reply   
^ I've got a video saved somewhere of rathy doing a 009 from a couple years ago, so sick
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-23-2015, 9:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by King12 View Post
^ I would like a video of some examples of this by July Andy, Flip/Roll rewind. Maybe you could have them down by May but Ill give you till July
Hahaha I will see what I can do!

Hawkeye-

I remember when Elephants we considered crazy and kids started do HS Roll-ephants!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-28-2015, 8:32 AM Reply   
We need more styled out Elephants in wakeboarding! haha
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-28-2015, 12:33 PM Reply   
Zane - Hell yeah! Great to hear some younger guys are trying it out. Would love to see Cory take it to 7, I don't even really know how that would work hahaha
PS we met at a boatshow in Hartford once. You sold me some Torqs and gave me a napster trading card with you doing a batwing on it! Thanks for being awesome.
For those that don't know http://www.wakeboard.com.sg/videos/h...anlavelle.html

Shawn - It's sick to hear Rathy was doing one, would love to see the footage...are you sure you're not referring to this though?

Ben - You weren't satisfied with Cody Hesse's in the Felix vid? 1:16

from Byerly Boards on Vimeo.

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       03-01-2015, 3:28 PM Reply   
On topic - The great wake divide (those who can affords/can access new gen boats vs. those who can't) will herald an underground resurgence of old school wakeboarding - guys behind tinny's, old ski & fishing boats - some cool videos will make people realize that that's where a LOT of fun happens. Air tricks may gain popularity again briefly but then get shouted down by those who can't do them .
The "Can's" will keep pushing - there will be a triple landed soon and then everyone with a G next gen wake/massive kicker will jump on the bandwagon. It will first happen at cable, then progress to boat.
Amiright?
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       03-03-2015, 11:59 AM Reply   
vinny your right, it was a handle pass to ole 9 not osmosis to ole, either way rathy has some of the best variety out there!
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-03-2015, 4:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorjaw View Post
there will be a triple landed soon and then everyone with a G next gen wake/massive kicker will jump on the bandwagon. It will first happen at cable, then progress to boat.
Amiright?
I don't really think we'll see triples get as mainstream as you think they'll be. Perhaps a couple will go down on the cable but there's just realistically not enough airtime and boot off of even these massive wakes to get three inverts around. Snowboard triples came up on us so fast because it's a lot easier to manipulate snow to make the start ramp higher, the pipes much taller and the slopestyle jumps longer. Unless wakeboats get gigantic, can displace enough water to create wakes that are the size of doubleups all the time and allow riders the time and air to get a third rotation around, I personally don't think the industry will surpass double flips.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       03-03-2015, 5:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
I don't really think we'll see triples get as mainstream as you think they'll be. Perhaps a couple will go down on the cable but there's just realistically not enough airtime and boot off of even these massive wakes to get three inverts around. Snowboard triples came up on us so fast because it's a lot easier to manipulate snow to make the start ramp higher, the pipes much taller and the slopestyle jumps longer. Unless wakeboats get gigantic, can displace enough water to create wakes that are the size of doubleups all the time and allow riders the time and air to get a third rotation around, I personally don't think the industry will surpass double flips.
I agree with this. Unless wake boats get to the point where they can produce wakes the size of ocean waves, I don't really see triples becoming mainstream any time soon. What I do think will happen in the near future is more double flip variations. As of right now we've only seen two different handle-pass double flips behind the boat (and one has only been done off the double up). I would guess that stuff like double tantrum to blind and wake-to-wake double back mobes will be some of the next mind blowing tricks we'll see.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-05-2015, 8:04 PM Reply   
I hope style makes a huge comeback. It seems to be lacking more and more these days. I somewhat blame that on the way comps have gone. Riding has gotten so technical that for me every comp pass is almost an image of the other.

I used to love going and seeing the variety of styles and tech each rider would bring. Whether it was Murray making everything look so dang effortless, Byerly poking everything, Collin Wright grabbing everything, Ricky G and The Vandall boosting tricks with crazy tweaked out style, Zane and Rob Stru floating through the air with a different flavor, and Shapiro just going as hard as possible,each guy brought their own "style" with them that is still with them today. Benny G, Necarasson also come to mind. I am sure I left out couple as well....... With everything being so technical and almost mirror image runs to take home podiums, I think we need to definitely bring back more style to the table.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-12-2015, 12:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorjaw View Post
On topic - The great wake divide (those who can affords/can access new gen boats vs. those who can't) will herald an underground resurgence of old school wakeboarding - guys behind tinny's, old ski & fishing boats - some cool videos will make people realize that that's where a LOT of fun happens. Air tricks may gain popularity again briefly but then get shouted down by those who can't do them .
The "Can's" will keep pushing - there will be a triple landed soon and then everyone with a G next gen wake/massive kicker will jump on the bandwagon. It will first happen at cable, then progress to boat.
Amiright?

Triple landed!
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-12-2015, 12:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA View Post
Hey Joel, Idk if you'd count this as an osmosis 9. But it counts in my book lol

PS the slurpee is the next big thing in wakeboarding haha

Sorry I took a break from WW and forgot about this thread
This video just got me hyped! Ill call that an osmosis 9
On the kiteboarding point I think that may be where I get some of it from. A close friend is a kite boarder and has migrated to wake style and runs bindings. I really like some kiting wakestyle tricks that combine a little more air for late spins with not going 100ft in the air and just floating around. It's neat how you can watch another sport and feel yourself wanting to incorporate trends into wakeboarding etc.

I just hate the one foot thing in any sport really, snowboarding as well. I have too many friends with knee injuries to be down with that mess. Lock them in, or get a wake skate
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-12-2015, 2:57 PM Reply   
Lol Glad the 009 got you stoked.
I hear you about the kiteboarding thing. Dangling isn't cool. There are some really sick riders pushing the wakestyle arena though. Alberto Rondina is throwing Moby Dick 7s now. Liam Whaley just did a double mobe. Gnarly stuff.

In regards to the taking cues from other sports, a few people felt like Raph's Beyond Perception edit was strongly influenced by snowboarder Louif Paradis

I feel like I've seen 100 hand drags off kickers since that so in spite of the uniqueness of wakeboarding due to the whole handle dynamic, perhaps we do assimilate trends from other sports easily.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       06-18-2015, 3:26 PM Reply   
Joel -

I didn't want to come on here and point that out that I called it...so cheers for remembering!!!