Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-07-2012, 8:49 PM Reply   
I can't decide which additional fins to buy for the board. I haven't purchased yet, but I know I am going to get this board. I have looked at a bunch of other boards and just keep coming back to this board. I learned and have only ridden a CWB Tsunami this year. It is really slow for me and I hate, hate, hate the raised part you have to step on near the kick pad. It really hurts my foot and I am sick of it. My wife rides it fine and that will now become her board.

Back to my problem. The SSP comes with 9cm fins and has an additional place to put fins. I want a faster board. I think I am coming from a brick, so any help would be great. I thought about getting the larger 11.5cm fins or the 9cm 3 degree fins. I really don't know what to get. Help
Old     (TheWoons)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-07-2012, 9:17 PM Reply   
Just emailed you Cole. Check the other forum
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-08-2012, 7:49 AM Reply   
With just those fins alone it will be way faster than your Tsunami.

I have tried many combinations on my Sweet Spot and my favorite combo is the "Big Boy" fins on the outside and no fins at all in the center. I have found this combo to be the fastest down the line. You just get on the gas a little and it takes off! Enjoy
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-08-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
Swapping the stock fins for the 3 degree fins and continue riding it as a twin is a good upgrade.

Just to let you know, the current Sweet Spot Pro now has an arch. I'm assuming by your post that you hate your current arch pad on the tsunami. Arch pads may seem weird at first, but they give you a lot more control.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-08-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
I did see it. If it bothers me I will cut that sucker out. Seriously, it can't be as bad as what I am dealing with. This CWB really hurts my foot. I spend more time trying to move my foot away from it than riding I think. Not really, but I do try and get away from it.

What change do you see with the 3 degree fins? Faster, stability, turns easier?
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-08-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
I ride the stock fins.. man I wish mine had an arch pad!!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-08-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
the 3 Degree fins make the board more responsive rail to rail
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-08-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
I have tried the sweet spot pro with the big boy outside and small little buddies on the inside. I plan to try it with the 3degree speedline and little buddies on the inside. Additionally I was wondering if anyone has tried using the large flyboy monster fins on the sweet spot with a smaller pair inside.
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-08-2012, 8:05 PM Reply   
I just got a SS Pro. Running it with Busters (10.5cm with 5 deg cant & toe). Lots of fun, very turny. Sometimes I add lil buddies for more drive but definitely requires more work.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       08-09-2012, 11:08 AM Reply   
I have 3 degrees in mine plus little buddies! I love it! I am going to order the busters next...Love the angled fins
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-09-2012, 11:27 AM Reply   
do the 3 degrees make it faster for pumping?
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-09-2012, 3:18 PM Reply   
I spent 5 hours on the lake today going back between Busters v Busters + Lil Buddies on my SS Pro

For me, the Buster + Lil buddies combo wins. The canted/towed fins still allow the rear to break loose but adding the buddies gives a lot more drive when pumping.

I LOVE this board !
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-11-2012, 4:42 PM Reply   
Board has been shipped - supposed to get it on Tuesday. I opted to ride it with just the two fins it comes with first as it seems a lot of people are saying it doesn't need additional fins. I can always order fins later.
Old     (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       08-11-2012, 7:13 PM Reply   
I found mine to be slow with the stock fins. I had some pranksters laying around from a previous board and it really helped speed it up.
Old     (TheWoons)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-11-2012, 8:19 PM Reply   
Size of the wake makes a big difference whether a board feels fast or slow. Two fins on this board on a good size wake and it's a pretty fast board.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-25-2012, 10:27 AM Reply   
Got to ride the sweet spot pro on Wednesday for the first time. It is night and day better than that Tsunami. So much faster. I could recover from so much farther back than ever before. It makes the wave feel about twice as long. I may need some different fins though now that I have ridden it. It is a little loose in the rear. I would like to get some fins that will bite just a little more. I am not sure what combo I should go with. Anymore recommendations?

1. Busters only outside
2. Busters outside w/ Little Buddies inside
3. Standard outside w/ Little Buddies inside - cheapest option for me
4. Monsters only outside
5. Standard outside w/ Pranksters inside - not sure about these because I doubt I would ride them stand alone ever where I could for the larger fins.
6. Busters outside w/ Standard inside
7. Monsters outside w/ Standard inside
8. Any recommendations?

I wish I could try fins out first. Does Inland Surfer have a decent return/replace policy? I figure Acme and OJ props will let you swap out props, it would be nice if I could swap out fins if I don't like them.
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-25-2012, 11:19 AM Reply   
I"m still running busters w/ lil buddies and digging it.

Busters or monsters w/ standards sounds like way too much of a thigh workout for me to even consider it.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-25-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
I am too new to this. What do you mean by too much of a thigh workout? That may be a dumb question but I am not sure what components affect what - if that even makes sense. I generally want to be able to just stand there and ride when I want and then carve the wave when I want. Also like being able to recover when I fall back away from the boat on the wave. Just chill I guess. Later down the road I might get more aggressive and want to change riding styles, but for now I just want to hang out and have fun. With the board and fins I have now (remember I have only ridden it one day), I just felt a little loose in the rear of the board when I tried to carve. The only experience I have with surfing is what I have seen on the internet and by self teaching (I know, bad all the way around). I thought that if I added a couple small fins or replaced the ones I have now with larger ones that this would accomplish my goal. Thanks for the help.
Old     (TheWoons)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-25-2012, 5:43 PM Reply   
Cole, I can tell you that with the stock two fins the Sweet Spot comes with the rear is very locked in. I would recommend riding it more before you add fins. It's a very stable board right out of the box.