Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-21-2017, 5:58 PM Reply   
I haven't posted here in years. Occasionally I poke around for news and pictures and gear.
Unfortunately I don't get out and wakeboard much anymore. Life happens... But it's been good tho. Just too busy and too difficult to find 2 other people who have the same multi-hour chunk of time available for wakeboarding.

Anyway,... Enter Onewheel!
After saving money for a year and researching many different electric skateboards I ordered the Onewheel (plus model) because:
1. it seemed to be the best option for off-road use
2. No hand controller. Board acceleration control is more an extension of one's body and mind as you lean.
3. The single wheel is a central pivot point, allowing for tighter more nimble turns and feels more like carving to me. More reminiscent of wakeboarding.
4. Maintenance seems simple. No belts to replace and more water resistant-ish compared to some other boards.

Thought I'd share and suggest a Onewheel or an Evolve or other electronic skateboard to calm the approaching winter urges to want to board. Of course there is snowboarding and many other sources to get your sidewayz groove on... So find what works for you.

The Onewheel has nicely filled the depressing void of wakeboarding for me and filled an additional hole that I didn't even know I had. love my Onewheel. Most fun I've had since wakeboarding.

Ohhh and one more thing.

The Onewheel, if nothing else is a FANTASTIC way to cruise the marina and launch ramps! Check out the Onewheel conquer Lake Powell's Antelope Point marina ramp.
https://youtu.be/AHncOlg0_Os
Old     (wakeslash)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-21-2017, 6:33 PM Reply   
Maybe its cool but it looks wack.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-22-2017, 9:36 AM Reply   
Not too far from the truth. It is pretty wackY. The board/machine is quite the head turner.

I rode it along Lone Rock Beach at Powell and was stopped at least 5 times by curious parties.

But it's very new activity/board/tech/etc. Most anything still in its infancy is gona be wack. Just look at wakeboarding when it was only 2 or 3 years old. Many thought it would be just a fad.

Maybe the Onewheel will be just a fad... But either way it is fun and one can't be close minded to fun. I may also look goofy with all my safety pads, but I gota be around to keep having fun and support and have fun with my family.
Attached Images

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-22-2017, 9:39 AM Reply   
A few years ago Antelope Point Maria's home grown mini Wake Park close down. So unfortunately there isn't even a wake park nearby that I can get a quick sesh on. But I can ride sideways still with Beautiful Powell in the background and think about the sounds and feelings of wakeboarding
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-22-2017, 9:52 AM Reply   
Ohh, and how could I forget... Raequel Hoffman has picked up the Onewheel. She has a "pro-model" slide plate attachment for representing float life and float plates. At least one known wakeboarder has picked it up. http://thefloat.life/product/float-p...man-pro-model/
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-23-2017, 8:37 AM Reply   
I'd love to try a one wheel. I have a Boosted Board (electric skateboard) and it's a ton of fun. I get a lot of questions as well when riding it. The best is when people see you riding up hill. My neighborhood is hilly and the best part about a powered long board is using the power to go up the hill then turn around and coast down. The best feature is having breaking ability so you can speed check yourself or just come to a complete stop if needed. No having to drop a foot or try and run off.
Old     (Wdave)      Join Date: Aug 2017       10-26-2017, 8:02 PM Reply   
Great to see how good those one wheel. Guess I have to wait for a few version before I buy one.
Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       10-26-2017, 8:55 PM Reply   
I recently purchased a OneWheel they are pretty fun to say the least. Takes a little to get use to I was a little cocky at first and ended up with a reality check into a bench. The OW has a sensor that kicks into slow you down depending on what setting you have it on. The thing takes a bit is getting use to starting and stopping. The stopping part if your not use to it can be a little tricky. Basically you have to raise your front heal off the sensor to dismount. If it’s not up all the way it will want to take off.

I looked at the Boost boards and they were cool except they can only be ridden on the pavement. The OW you can ride it almost anywhere.
Some of the stuff they are doing is pretty crazy Offroad.
OneWheel Offroad Lake Tahoe.
https://youtu.be/XoZSApWtQ9Q