Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-17-2013, 9:02 PM Reply   
Any body have expeirence with adding larger brake calipers and slotted rotors to their trucks? Im thinking of doing them on my 03'dodge ram 1500 but I'm not sure if its really worth the cost compared to the performance. Right now I have 18" w/33" but an gonna jump up to 35"s. if the performance is really good with out towing I would imagine it would help with towing with the surge break system.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-18-2013, 5:50 AM Reply   
I have an 09' 2500 Ram and just changed to EBC brake pads. Night and day difference over stock. If you change to a bigger caliper you might run into problems with wheel clearance, but I could be talking out my a__. My truck is almost 7k wet and my work trailer is around 3800 lbs with no brakes. EBC stops me great and has almost no brake dust on the wheels. Just my .02.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-18-2013, 6:10 AM Reply   
EBC brake pads?not familiar are they just a different composite?
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-18-2013, 7:07 AM Reply   
agreed. just go to a better pad.
yes different companies make more aggresive pads. of course it will wear your rotors and pads out faster but you will stop better. always a trade off.
yes EBC is a major manufacture of high end street brakes.
Old     (Rad_Matty_D)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-18-2013, 7:17 AM Reply   
2nd the EBC Pads.

I just got the EBC slotted & dippled rotors with the EBC greenworks pads. They got great reviews
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-18-2013, 8:58 AM Reply   
Are all those the same size as stock then and what's the avg. cost per wheel? Nothing's open yet for me to call lol
Old     (natedogg)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-18-2013, 12:43 PM Reply   
Check out frozen Rotors and pads, i know lots of guys with lifted and race trucks running them and like them more than any other performance brake company
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-20-2013, 5:01 AM Reply   
Mine ran somewhere around $130 for fronts. I still run stock rears since the fronts do the majority of the work. Yes they are stock size. Biggest pain is getting my 35" MT's off and on.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-20-2013, 6:23 AM Reply   
I started taking "Larger Breaks" but got fired for it...........haha
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-23-2013, 5:09 AM Reply   
My '02 Avalanche came stock with 13" rear, 12" front brakes (dual piston all around). When I did my full upgrade, I went:
- EBC Yellow Stuff Pads
- Summit Racing drilled/slotted rotors (not for performance reasons, more because they were a good price)
- Braided lines as the rubber lines were shot
- All new stainless brake lines as the stock ones burst
- GMT-900 front brake upgrade ('07+ GM truck brakes), which converted the front to 13" brakes
- Hydroboost

Most noticable was the hydroboost upgrade. After that it would be a toss up between the better pads and bigger front brakes. Since I did both of those at the same time it is hard to say but was very worth it. Truck used to brake like total crap and it now brakes really well.