Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-11-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
Hey everyone Im a first time GoPro user and am going to be using it at a cable park within the next few days. What settings do you recommend for the best quality video? Ive heard 720 60 is the way to go but this was for other sports, just trying to get information from a wakeboarders perspective.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-11-2012, 1:46 PM Reply   
Idk if its worth noting but..

-its a GoPro2
-Im riding in the middle of the day
-Im obviously a noob
Old     (brucegoose23)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-11-2012, 2:03 PM Reply   
this is a good question. I just got the same camera and took it out for the first time on the lake yesterday. I had mine set to 960 30 maybe??? im not sure off the top of my head. whatever is default is what i had mine set too. Took really nice video. But like henry, I would like to hear some advice from someone a little more experienced. Maybe ideas on diff angles to use as well..
Old    Walter            03-11-2012, 2:11 PM Reply   
3 for advice, I got one for christmas and will be using it this summer alot, would like to know what the best settings are too.
Old     (brucegoose23)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-11-2012, 2:33 PM Reply   
Sooner or later they will chime in fellas.. It is inevitable. I could to believe how cool h footage was u guys will love your go pro. Can't wait to get the tube out with the go pro filming someone riding
Old    9Drozd            03-11-2012, 2:39 PM Reply   
I cant comment on the gopro/gopro2, but I have a contour gps and shoot 720 at 60 frames with the light setting on automatic. Its some really killer footage. Ive played with every setting and the 720 at 60 frames seems to be by far the best quility that i have found. I would imagine the gopros would be the same. Just go out and play with it in the yard in all light conditions and do some moving shots as well and see what turns out the best for what your trying to do. Thats what I did.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2012, 3:09 PM Reply   
It depends on what you intent to us the video for.
For videos that you'll generally share online with friends, setting 2, widescreen 720p is fine.

Try using the attachments to mount the camera in different angles than what you normally see, like the photo attached.

The chest harness gives quite a cool view while wakeboarding.

But the things I have learned (the hard way):

Use a sharpie to color the non waterproof back door, after a trip around the cable with mine I made mine red, so I won't make that mistake again.
P.S. If you do something silly like me and get your gopro wet, remove the battery and bury the camera in an open bag of rice for a week, works a treat! (also works for iphones)

When using the head mount on a helmet, use a small piece of string to secure the camera to the helmet, it may seem secure but 1 bad fall and you may no longer be the proud owner of a gopro

When I am not using my go pro, I keep it in a lunch box with all the accessories, but to prevent the case lens from getting scratched I keep to camera in a sock.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images

Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-11-2012, 3:58 PM Reply   
Duct tape a float, or tie one, to the camera case if your're using it in water. I've seen countless get lost by not doing this. Also colouring the float luminescent helps if it does come off. If you're using a board mount, use the surfboard one with 2 separate pads. The camera sticks to one and is tied to the other by a string.
Old     (k2rider2690)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-11-2012, 7:04 PM Reply   
when filming with my gopro i usually use 960. It is super high quality and saves on space. Also, by switching it into 1080 you eliminated about 30-40% of your viewing angle. I developed a great floating solution for my gopro that is reliable and you do not have to worry about the float coming off. Gopro's solution when i emailed them was that they were in the works of something, and their final solution was a 3m sticky pad floaty?? Really what a joke.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-11-2012, 8:26 PM Reply   
I shoot in 720p at 60fps, setting 3 on the gopro1 lol I love having the 60fps. Just looks so fluid, and itll allow for higher quality slowmos =) lifesbetteronaboard is my youtube channel if you wanna see some of the footy ive taken. +make sure you zip tie your helmet mount to your helmet! the bungees will def fall off if you dont secure them, and nobody wants to be fishing their gopro off the ocean floor
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-11-2012, 9:50 PM Reply   
Both of these were shot in 720 @ 60fps....

from JJ on Vimeo.

from JJ on Vimeo.

Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-11-2012, 9:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Both of these were shot in 720 @ 60fps....

from JJ on Vimeo.

from JJ on Vimeo.

on HERO 2... handlebar mount on the end of a monopod.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-11-2012, 10:03 PM Reply   
It really depends on what editing program you are using. I think imovie will convert your 60 fps movie to 30 fps, and final cut converts it to either 30 or 24 fps. So if your shooting 60 fps and not converting your video to play in 30 or 24 fps, your frames are being dropped. To adjust this properly you need to use Cinema tools for Final Cut, not sure about the program for imovie. Some google searching should help you find the right program to use for converting your video. If your not going to slow it down properly, you might as well shoot your video in 30 fps. If your going to watch your video on a TV larger than 40 inches, use 1080p. If your putting it on the web, just use 720p, or 960p for the taller frame. Shooting in a smaller size and slower frame rate will help you save space on your SD card and there's no point in trying to work with files larger than needed. Don't overlook the GoPro's picture capabilities, it can really do some sweet things... besides pictures require A LOT less effort
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-11-2012, 10:06 PM Reply   
Keep in mind that the only reason to shoot in 60 fps is to use it for having the option of slow motion
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-12-2012, 1:21 AM Reply   
I find the video is just smoother when you shoot 720p60fps. And the slow motion is so much better. I had the 1 and now I have the 2 and I still prefer the 720p60fps.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-12-2012, 4:39 PM Reply   
sweet Ill be trying the 720-60fps tomorrow at ski rixen, hopefully it goes well.

BTW are there any free online video making programs? Not really tryin to spend a ton of money to make a youtube video lol
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-12-2012, 5:42 PM Reply   
if you are on a pc you should have windows movie maker that will work fine, if you have a mac then you have iMovie which kicks ass for standard editing.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-12-2012, 7:37 PM Reply   
learn somethin new everyday lol
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-13-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
Yup, live movie maker (Free with Windows 7) works pretty decent and handles go pro files like a champ.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-22-2012, 6:04 PM Reply   
So I just got my Go Pro and when I download the video and watch it, it's real jerky. Almost seems like it's in Burst mode or slow motion. I have it set up in 1080p at 30fps. My comp has Vista. Am I missing something? Shouldn't it play back at normal speed?
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-26-2012, 10:41 AM Reply   
With Vista, you need to download a codec that will allow you to watch HD video smoothly. I had the same issue watching my Contour clips on my old Vista machine. Have not run into that problem with new machine running windows 7. A quick Google search should get you what you need. If not, let me know and I'll get on the old machine and see if I can find the codec I used.