Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-01-2018, 3:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post

I'm simply saying, taking guns away will NOT make kids any safer, and in fact, will make mine LESS safe. I WON'T be able to protect them either at home or out on the town without a firearm.
So your saying that you wouldn't pass a screening. So do you have a history of violent behavior or mental issues?

How much gun protecting have your children historically needed? Get into a lot of fights and need to pull your piece on a regular basis?
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-01-2018, 4:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by plhorn View Post
So your saying that you wouldn't pass a screening. So do you have a history of violent behavior or mental issues?

How much gun protecting have your children historically needed? Get into a lot of fights and need to pull your piece on a regular basis?
I would pass a screening, and I did to get my CCW in the firdt place.

I carry daily and have never needed it. Just like my car and house insurance, spare tire, and fire extinguisher.

Are you saying I shouldn't be allowed to protect my family because you don't protect yours?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-01-2018, 5:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
I would pass a screening, and I did to get my CCW in the firdt place.

I carry daily and have never needed it. Just like my car and house insurance, spare tire, and fire extinguisher.

Are you saying I shouldn't be allowed to protect my family because you don't protect yours?
If you look at the research and you were truly interested in "protecting your family", you'd get the guns out of your house immediately.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-01-2018, 5:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
If you look at the research and you were truly interested in "protecting your family", you'd get the guns out of your house immediately.
Hahaha. My guns are all locked up when in the house, kids don't have the key or know where it is, and they are 15 and 17.

I have a much higher risk of someone in Atlanta I don't know intending harm than my family, regardless of that the statistics say.

Can you please post your address? I need some new boating gear and it sounds like a good place to get some.

Last edited by Smoothie; 03-01-2018 at 5:53 PM.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-02-2018, 2:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hahaha. My guns are all locked up when in the house, kids don't have the key or know where it is, and they are 15 and 17.

I have a much higher risk of someone in Atlanta I don't know intending harm than my family, regardless of that the statistics say.

Can you please post your address? I need some new boating gear and it sounds like a good place to get some.
I would guess that most wakeboard shops don't have a gun on the premises, why don't you just walk in, flash your piece, and get what you need?
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-02-2018, 6:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hahaha. My guns are all locked up when in the house,
Then they aren't protection. "Wait bad guy that is coming to get me, I have to go unlock my guns, I will be with you in just a second."

"HaHaHa"

So the guns are statistically dangerous for your family and you keep them locked up so they aren't worth anything as protection so I'm guessing they just make you feel good.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-02-2018, 7:47 AM Reply   
Besides which, you get to keep your worthless toys. Why are you against sensible laws to keep them away from the crazies?
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-02-2018, 9:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Then they aren't protection. "Wait bad guy that is coming to get me, I have to go unlock my guns, I will be with you in just a second."

"HaHaHa"

So the guns are statistically dangerous for your family and you keep them locked up so they aren't worth anything as protection so I'm guessing they just make you feel good.
I always have one on me, and when home I do have one in a biometric safe. I also have 3 dogs and a very good security system. By locking it, I mean a place where I can easily access it without other people doing so. If I wake up to someone standing over my bed I'm basically dead anyway (or having a wet dream if it's Jessica Alba).

This conversation is so clearly outside your realm of experience you should probably just QFT. It would be like me trying to have a conversation about male on male anal sex. I know nothing about it, have never done it, never thought about it, and probably shouldn't try to have a discussion about it. Like you regarding guns.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-02-2018, 11:01 AM Reply   
Don’t you love these Libs use of Stats that push their agenda. Example if they find a stat that pushes their agenda, they are all about it! It’s gotta be accurate! But when you show your Stats, like Many of the one’s Swat Guy has posted! All you hear is crickets. More proof that unless you agree with what they have been told you are the enemy
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-02-2018, 11:07 AM Reply   
What stats? You guys talk about a buddy who once knew a guy who said some bs you agree with. That is not a stat.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-02-2018, 11:46 AM Reply   
^yes it is dam it!!!
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-02-2018, 12:31 PM Reply   
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...41825593184165
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-02-2018, 12:38 PM Reply   
If you torture a data set long enough, it will confess to anything.

So 100 kids find a gun and shoot themselves in the head. You're saying we should all empty our safes and turn over our weapons to some higher power trusting they have our interests in mind.

Do I have this right????
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-02-2018, 1:57 PM Reply   
I think he is saying you are wrong for having a gun in the first place because it's dangerous for kids, but now that you know it's dangerous you need to turn them in if ONE life is saved.

Nothing said about 11 teenage drivers that die per day from texting and driving though.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-02-2018, 9:33 PM Reply   
No what I'm saying is we should not give guns to people with a history of violence or mental issues. No-one needs guns that are specifically designed for military use.
We need some common sense regulations but gun nuts are keeping us from getting them.

Oh and on a side note if you are hoarding guns to protect your family I personally think you are an idiot and a coward. And I have ACTUAL stats that back that up.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ical-attitudes

bunch of wimps thinking that "bad guys" are coming to get you. You still sleep with nightlights too?
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-03-2018, 4:35 AM Reply   
Lol I don't know how reputable psychology today is, but that article has a clear bias and agenda. Fake News might be too harsh, but it seems close. Oh, and the article has no stats to back up your view that having guns is bad, or are for idiots or cowards?

You call people wimps and state no one is out to get us, yet you think we should take away guns because there are bad people out there with them who intend to do others harm.

Which is it, are people out there dangerous or are they not?

Btw, your Mom just said it's time to come upstairs for dinner.

Last edited by Smoothie; 03-03-2018 at 4:39 AM.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       03-03-2018, 7:30 AM Reply   
the problem is most pro-gun people equate common sense gun laws with taking guns away. What is wrong with closing the gun show loop hole or making background checks mandatory on every single purchase (even used guns)? What is wrong with denying gun rights to convicted domestic abusers? If you truly are an upstanding citizen, you will have no problem getting a gun. Does anyone on here really want or think that banning all guns will ever happen, or that the gov't is going to try and take their guns away?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-03-2018, 8:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyinboards View Post
the problem is most pro-gun people equate common sense gun laws with taking guns away. What is wrong with closing the gun show loop hole or making background checks mandatory on every single purchase (even used guns)? What is wrong with denying gun rights to convicted domestic abusers? If you truly are an upstanding citizen, you will have no problem getting a gun. Does anyone on here really want or think that banning all guns will ever happen, or that the gov't is going to try and take their guns away?
Exactly, the NRA has them convinced that any type of gun restrictions will result in all guns being seized.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-03-2018, 9:10 AM Reply   
Wake: like most of your statements they are based on your own personal opinion and NOT facts.
Example
Quote:
Exactly, the NRA has them convinced that any type of gun restrictions will result in all guns being seized.
Let me fix this statement for you
Real life laws have NRA convinced that any type of gun restrictions will result in all guns being seized.

Baby steps my friend baby steps. Never invite a vampire into your home. Never give the anti gun folk Anything!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-03-2018, 12:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Wake: like most of your statements they are based on your own personal opinion and NOT facts.
Example
Let me fix this statement for you
Real life laws have NRA convinced that any type of gun restrictions will result in all guns being seized.

Baby steps my friend baby steps. Never invite a vampire into your home. Never give the anti gun folk Anything!
Sure thing, but let's not pretend you're upset when innocent kids are gunned down at school.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-03-2018, 1:07 PM Reply   
2 schools had Social Media posted gun threats that closed 2 schools down on Friday. I guess gun are to blame for this!
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-03-2018, 2:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyinboards View Post
I would be OK with this.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-03-2018, 2:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Actually in NY last year they banned magazines that hold over 10 rounds, and had a " turn them in now and you won't get in trouble" day. So some states have unfortunately set the precedent.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-03-2018, 5:20 PM Reply   
Ok some one here gets it^^^

Exactly: Example some guns bought 100% Legal here in California have been Overnight deemed a Asult weapon. What the ding dong tards Like Wake dont get is this. The goal is NOT to take away your guns that will never happen. But what they can do is make laws that turn law abiding citizens in to criminals over night with new laws. I will put it in regards terms so our ain’t gun guys can understand. Let’s say you go out and you buy a RED car, then after a few years they make laws that say RED cars are dangerous and need to be registered as deadly weapons. Anyone who dosent register their Deadly red car is NOW a criminal and if caught you can never own a car again. This is extream example if the kind of $hit law makers have done here in a ca
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-03-2018, 6:00 PM Reply   
The Goal of the Anti Gunners is NOT to Take away your guns. “That would be against the 2nd” But what they can do is Make small laws that like I said, make you a overnight criminal. And once your a felon you cant own a firearm period. Ya see what they did they didn’t take away the 2nd they just made it so you can’t own or even live in a house that has firearms.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-03-2018, 6:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Ok some one here gets it^^^

Exactly: Example some guns bought 100% Legal here in California have been Overnight deemed a Asult weapon. What the ding dong tards Like Wake dont get is this. The goal is NOT to take away your guns that will never happen. But what they can do is make laws that turn law abiding citizens in to criminals over night with new laws. I will put it in regards terms so our ain’t gun guys can understand. Let’s say you go out and you buy a RED car, then after a few years they make laws that say RED cars are dangerous and need to be registered as deadly weapons. Anyone who dosent register their Deadly red car is NOW a criminal and if caught you can never own a car again. This is extream example if the kind of $hit law makers have done here in a ca
So you go register your red car. How hard is that? Nope don't wanna drive down to the dmv, rather hear about kids getting killed on a regular basis. Where are your priorities.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-04-2018, 4:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
So you go register your red car. How hard is that? Nope don't wanna drive down to the dmv, rather hear about kids getting killed on a regular basis. Where are your priorities.
Did you not read his post or mine, where the red car is now illegal? He paid for it with his own money and now he has to give it away without compensation.

If it truly were just registering, or a background check, or training, I would be fine with all of that. Unfortunately I don't trust politicians to stop there as they have already crossed that line.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-04-2018, 5:48 AM Reply   
Let's be honest though and stop using cars as an analogy.

You don't think anyone should own a gun, period. That is fine to feel that way, but let's not pretend you are for sensible gun laws, you are for a total ban.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-04-2018, 10:32 AM Reply   
This is A Real Example.
California & New York, made small overnight laws “I call them overnight laws” these are small concessions that people like myself don’t protest to because they don’t seem to matter in the big picture. The overnight laws, that made that AR-15 you bought that was 100% legal last year is NOW called a “Assault weapon”, you have to take that gun that you bought & already registered back down and (RE REGISTER) and pay more fees and it NOW it’s deemed a “Evil Assault Weapon” ! And now that places you on a sepcial list of people that CAN NEVER sell or transfer that gun. That gun is your now yours for life! you can’t give it to your kid or sell it ever!!!! When you die so does your gun!

Now let’s say you do nothing. You leave your AR-15 locked in your gun safe. Your NOW a overnight criminal!

What’s the next gun the law makers deem a evil assault weapon? What’s the next law that turns a legal gun owner into a criminal. Give a inch take a mile.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-04-2018, 11:34 AM Reply   
If by overnight you mean you have a year to register, you can do it online and it cost $15, then yes overnight....

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-04-2018, 2:32 PM Reply   
The problem law abiding citizens have is this. You already have to do a thorough background check. The feds are the ones to blame if someone slips through the cracks. So they (the feds) blame the guns for their lack of doing their job. Solution let's make some more laws to shift everyone's attention to the gun and blame the gun. They say their agenda is to protect children from dying. Many more children die from suicide, texting while driving, drugs,drunk driving accidents and a mother choosing to abort her own child.The government fails miserably at anything they take on. For perfect examples look no further than Washington DC, Detroit, Chicago and other cities where the have the strictest gun laws in the USA. They have the worst gun violence in the nation. We are the only nation in the world to have freedom of speech and the right to bear arms. Why would you want to give up your right to protect yourself so your government can take away all your rights. For a quick history lesson ask the Jews or the American Indians how well giving up their guns worked for them.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-04-2018, 7:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
If by overnight you mean you have a year to register, you can do it online and it cost $15, then yes overnight....

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms
Why do you suppose they want a comprehensive list of who owns these types of weapons?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-04-2018, 9:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Why do you suppose they want a comprehensive list of who owns these types of weapons?
An effort to control who's hands they end up in? Is there a mechanism where if someone starts exhibiting bizarre behavior the police know what arms they have and precautions they need to take in dealing with them?

Why do you think they want a list?
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-04-2018, 10:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Registration leads to confiscation. As a Canadian gun owner who dealt with a federal registry for a long time i know that for a fact. It became pretty routine for the feds to decide a certain gun was a public threat and send out letters to turn them in without compensation or face jail time. I've never had any confiscated but i know plenty of people that have. Our federal registry was abandoned a few years ago for most rifles as it was found to be mostly useless and it cost an insane amount to run. The compliance rate was also extremely low.

I've heard it pointed out in the U.S. media how Canadian gun laws must work since we have so many fewer shootings but i'm a believer that there is far more to it than the gun laws. We actually have a pretty high percentage of gun owners and lots of guns. While AKs are prohibited here we do have plenty of Ar-15s, CZ858s and other stuff like that.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-05-2018, 1:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
An effort to control who's hands they end up in? Is there a mechanism where if someone starts exhibiting bizarre behavior the police know what arms they have and precautions they need to take in dealing with them?

Why do you think they want a list?
As the Canadian above my post said, it's a heck of a lot easier to know who has what when you decide to ban a specific type of firearm.

How is having a list of who has what going to prevent anything?

If police want to know if someone has a gun to prepare...maybe that has some merit. Whether they have an evil black rifle, hunting rifle, or pistol I think the safety precautions should be the same regardless.
Old     (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       03-05-2018, 3:10 PM Reply   
Like I said if you have to shoot an AK~47 You rent it from a range where everyone there has one, EVERYONE ,all it will take is JUST one Crazzy to go off and Everyone is Dead,,,And watch how fast there will be Gun control for the AK~47 ,,,WHO needs a Gun like that any ways??? Do You REALLY Hunt with an AK~47???
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-05-2018, 3:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooSeMan View Post
Like I said if you have to shoot an AK~47 You rent it from a range where everyone there has one, EVERYONE ,all it will take is JUST one Crazzy to go off and Everyone is Dead,,,And watch how fast there will be Gun control for the AK~47 ,,,WHO needs a Gun like that any ways??? Do You REALLY Hunt with an AK~47???
Guns aren't just for hunting? They are for protection, sporting purposes, long range shooting events, and to start off relay races.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-05-2018, 5:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Until we close the private sales and gun show loophole, the law that is in place is ineffective.
Why are you against expanding that law so that it works?

FYI: The Vegas shooter had no history of violent incidents, or mental health issues and would have passed the database check.
There's already a law that you can't knowingly sell a gun in a private sale to a felon or someone with a mental history. One problem is enforcement. Same problem with all government laws, enforcement.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-05-2018, 6:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
There's already a law that you can't knowingly sell a gun in a private sale to a felon or someone with a mental history. One problem is enforcement. Same problem with all government laws, enforcement.
Actually I do have to agree with the libs somewhat here. I sell guns to folks, and I require that I see their concealed permit. That is the only way I can feel good they are not a felon and can own a firearm. (At least at the time they got their permit.) The law only states I need to see a driver's license. I wish I had a place to make sure they could own it legally.
Old     (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       03-05-2018, 7:30 PM Reply   
Smoothie ,,,Yes I bet guns can be fun,But WHO needs an AK~47 ??? that simple...
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-05-2018, 11:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
No one, just like no one needs a Corvette, a $150k play boat, a $75k pickup truck, or an $800 iPhone.

I didn't realize we are only supposed to be allowed to have things we NEED? That changes everything.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-06-2018, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
I do. It's actually not that simple, but it's my right if I want to own one. I'm damn sure not about to start giving up rights cause someone can't understand why I need one.

Last edited by denverd1; 03-06-2018 at 9:11 AM.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-06-2018, 10:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
There are no soft targets (unarmed people) at the gun range. Everyone would likely NOT be dead because there are people armed that can shoot back. Which is why the argument for arming more people, not less exist. MOST of the time shootings happen where there are unarmed people who can't shoot back. In your example the shooter could probably kill a few people max before he was shot.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-06-2018, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
There are no soft targets (unarmed people) at the gun range. Everyone would likely NOT be dead because there are people armed that can shoot back. Which is why the argument for arming more people, not less exist. MOST of the time shootings happen where there are unarmed people who can't shoot back. In your example the shooter could probably kill a few people max before he was shot.
was happy to hear FL senate approved minor gun control measures and will allow CHL teachers to carry.

Not sure why this is so hard for people to understand. Gun free zones are the about the only areas targeted, with Vegas being the only recent attack that doesn't fit the profile
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-06-2018, 11:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
That law is meaningless. How are you supposed to know if someone is a felon or has a mental history by looking at them?

We need a law that prohibits private sales without a background check
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-06-2018, 11:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
I do. It's actually not that simple, but it's my right if I want to own one. I'm damn sure not about to start giving up rights cause someone can't understand why I need one.
That doesn't answer the question. Why do you need and AK47?
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-06-2018, 11:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
That law is meaningless. How are you supposed to know if someone is a felon or has a mental history by looking at them?

Some states do. Here in CA, all sales must go thru a FFL licensed dealer. Doesn’t bother me a bit.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-06-2018, 11:59 AM Reply   
Why do you need to jump on this forum everyday and pound your chest about banning guns? Because you want to and you can.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-06-2018, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead65 View Post
Some states do. Here in CA, all sales must go thru a FFL licensed dealer. Doesn’t bother me a bit.
I went with a friend one time when he was buying a gun off armslist.com. Met this guy in the parking lot of a grocery store and made the exchange. Seemed crazy to me.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-06-2018, 12:12 PM Reply   
Quote:

I make sure they have a Concealed Carry license, meaning they have been cleared to buy a gun?

I like how that one dude keeps asking the same question but won't respond to any of the questions asked of him.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-06-2018, 1:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
I went with a friend one time when he was buying a gun off armslist.com. Met this guy in the parking lot of a grocery store and made the exchange. Seemed crazy to me.
Then take it up with the Kansas government.
Despite what the media would love for you to believe, gun owners aren’t universally opposed to background checks for gun purchases of all types.
Confiscation of weapons without due legal process is not gonna fly, however. Any Doctor with an agenda or a bias would have the power to deny a person’s constitutional rights.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-06-2018, 3:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead65 View Post
Then take it up with the Kansas government.
Despite what the media would love for you to believe, gun owners aren’t universally opposed to background checks for gun purchases of all types.
Confiscation of weapons without due legal process is not gonna fly, however. Any Doctor with an agenda or a bias would have the power to deny a person’s constitutional rights.
If the buyer had a CCW or FFL license, that's why. These a folks are exempt because they had to pass the BG check to get that license in the first place. I agree there should be no private sale without a dealer running the BG check.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-06-2018, 3:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
If the buyer had a CCW or FFL license, that's why. These a folks are exempt because they had to pass the BG check to get that license in the first place. I agree there should be no private sale without a dealer running the BG check.
Even if the buyer has a CCW?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-07-2018, 2:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Worked wonders for Chris Kyle...
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-07-2018, 3:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Low blow, and does not support the discussion.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-07-2018, 3:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
One person was killed. This wasn't a mass shooting. Try to stay with the conversation.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-07-2018, 3:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Even if the buyer has a CCW?
Maybe. CCWs last 2-5 years or more depending on the state. A lot can happen in that time.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-07-2018, 6:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Maybe. CCWs last 2-5 years or more depending on the state. A lot can happen in that time.
Maybe, but that's what gun shops use to verify if someone is legal. Bought one today, showed them my CCW, and off I went. They don't do a real time background check, at least in Ga
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-08-2018, 9:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
That doesn't answer the question. Why do you need and AK47?
Cause it's Thursday. Or maybe because the sun's out and the lake's still too cold. Maybe for target shooting in my buddies back yard. Maybe to shoot feral hogs that are destroying thousands of acres of Texas land every day. Maybe because I don't actually need a reason to own it, along with 10,000 rounds of ammo to feed that puppy. "gunpowder therapy" puts a smile on my face EVERY time. you should try it sometime.

Used to shoot 100 rounds of .45/9mm/10mm (whichever I felt like, yes I own all 3) handgun on my lunch break couple times a week. Or should I have checked with you first??

Point is, i don't have to have a reason. It's my RIGHT.

Last edited by denverd1; 03-08-2018 at 9:48 AM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-08-2018, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
One person was killed. This wasn't a mass shooting. Try to stay with the conversation.
You'd think we're talking in another language.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-08-2018, 1:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Actually, there were two killed, but keep trying to change the narrative. The conversation had shifted to shootings at gun ranges, but I guess you can invent whatever you choose.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-08-2018, 1:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Low blow, and does not support the discussion.
Reread Jarrod's comment to which I responded and please explain how it was a "low blow and does not support the discussion". I stand behind my comment 100%.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-08-2018, 1:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
You'd think we're talking in another language.
Nope, just made up facts.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-08-2018, 5:07 PM Reply   
In Va. Still had to do a background check with CCW permit. In Texas we have LTC which covers open and concealed carry, we still have to fill out the form and answer the questions about mental health,citizenship and felonies. We just get to take the weapon within 5 to 10 minutes. It still all boils down to the government doing their job on the background check. We all know the government is a bunch of hot air blowhard that tell you one thing and do whatever they feel like. There in lies the whole problem with mentally ill and violent people getting guns.Check out how many women are attacked by the men they try to get restraining orders on. Enforcement of the laws already in place are the real problem.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-09-2018, 8:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Nope, just made up facts.
The conversation was whether a mass shooting could happen at a gun range. Moose said

"Like I said if you have to shoot an AK~47 You rent it from a range where everyone there has one, EVERYONE ,all it will take is JUST one Crazzy to go off and Everyone is Dead,,,And watch how fast there will be Gun control for the AK~47 ,,,WHO needs a Gun like that any ways??? Do You REALLY Hunt with an AK~47???"

You compared a single victim incident to this. So yeah.....you're off mark. If a guy at a gun range turned to shoot people he would no doubt kill people. However with guns in the hands of many others, it would end very fast.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-09-2018, 9:00 AM Reply   
We should ban bombs

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ce-say-n854351
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-09-2018, 7:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
Why do you need to jump on this forum everyday and pound your chest about banning guns? Because you want to and you can.
Last I checked noone has ever killed dozens of people with a wakeworld rant. Good try for the dumbest pro gun argument I've heard in a while.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-09-2018, 7:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Maybe, but that's what gun shops use to verify if someone is legal. Bought one today, showed them my CCW, and off I went. They don't do a real time background check, at least in Ga
Which is what we need to change!
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-09-2018, 7:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
In Va. Still had to do a background check with CCW permit. In Texas we have LTC which covers open and concealed carry, we still have to fill out the form and answer the questions about mental health,citizenship and felonies. We just get to take the weapon within 5 to 10 minutes.
Wow What a deterrent! you had to "fill out the form and answer the questions about mental health, citizenship and felonies" Did they ask you if you were a terrorist too. That will stop a TON of guns from getting into the wrong hands.

In Texas:
Do you need a permit to purchase a firearm? - NOPE
Do you need an owner's licence? - NOPE
Any assault weapons law? - NOPE
Magazine capacity restriction? -NOPE
any laws against conceal carry on a college campus? NOPE
Does the state law specifically ban local municipalities from passing their own laws? - YUP
Any NFA weapon restrictions? (machine guns, sawed off shot guns, silencers.....) NOPE

Quote:
It all boils down to the government doing their job on the background check.
But it sounds like your against expanding the background check to private sales which makes the background check pretty worthless. If you advertise that your bank has top notch security between the hours of 6 am to midnight and nothing at night how many day bank robbers are you gonna have?

Quote:
We all know the government is a bunch of hot air blowhard that tell you one thing and do whatever they feel like. There in lies the whole problem with mentally ill and violent people getting guns.Check out how many women are attacked by the men they try to get restraining orders on. Enforcement of the laws already in place are the real problem.
Since you are against laws intended to keep mentally ill and violent people from getting guns, and their are none one the books now you must be suggesting we should be selling the crazies the guns and THEN arresting them. Not making the cops jobs any easier are you?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-09-2018, 7:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Wow What a deterrent! you had to "fill out the form and answer the questions about mental health, citizenship and felonies" Did they ask you if you were a terrorist too. That will stop a TON of guns from getting into the wrong hands.

In Texas:
Does the state law specifically ban local municipalities from passing their own laws? - YUP
Any NFA weapon restrictions? (machine guns, sawed off shot guns, silencers.....) NOPE

But it sounds like your against expanding the background check to private sales which makes thebackground check pretty worthless. If you advertise that your bank has top notch security between the hours of 6 am to midnight and nothing at night how many day bank robbers are you gonna have?

Since you are against laws intended to keep mentally ill and violent people from getting guns, and their are none one the books now you must be suggesting we should be selling the crazies the guns and THEN arresting them. Not making the cops jobs any easier are you?
You obviously know everything since you assume you know where I stand. I stated the government already has laws in place it doesn't enforce. They had multiple chances to keep the Florida shooter from buying a gun. Even the FBI was called. Let's make some more laws that honest citizens will obey and criminals won't. Yep that will fix it. Just like drunk driving laws,Drug use laws,texting while driving laws ect.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-10-2018, 3:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
The conversation was whether a mass shooting could happen at a gun range. Moose said

"Like I said if you have to shoot an AK~47 You rent it from a range where everyone there has one, EVERYONE ,all it will take is JUST one Crazzy to go off and Everyone is Dead,,,And watch how fast there will be Gun control for the AK~47 ,,,WHO needs a Gun like that any ways??? Do You REALLY Hunt with an AK~47???"

You compared a single victim incident to this. So yeah.....you're off mark. If a guy at a gun range turned to shoot people he would no doubt kill people. However with guns in the hands of many others, it would end very fast.
For the second time, there were two victims.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-10-2018, 3:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
You obviously know everything since you assume you know where I stand. I stated the government already has laws in place it doesn't enforce. They had multiple chances to keep the Florida shooter from buying a gun. Even the FBI was called. Let's make some more laws that honest citizens will obey and criminals won't. Yep that will fix it. Just like drunk driving laws,Drug use laws,texting while driving laws ect.
You don't think drunk driving laws have reduced the incidents of drunk driving?
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-10-2018, 4:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
So are you for or against laws that prohibit people that the cops,familly, or a mental health professional think shoudn't have a gun from having one?
Old     (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       03-11-2018, 8:46 PM Reply   
I get it ,You want and SHOULD be able to Protect yourself ,,,OK lets say you have a wife and 2 kids ,one kids a 16 year old boy and an 6 year old girl,,,Is an AK~47 you best choice of protection ???Wouldn't you have to keep your AK~47 up and away from your kids???AND Locked up too???WELL in the middle of the Night you hear something in your House (Where I live I haven't heard a home invasion Happen in years ,BUT I live in the concrete jungle)WHAT YOU GOING TO DO??? Run to your AK~47 unlock it and start shooting at anything that Moves???HOW LONG THAT GOING TO TAKE???YOUR DEAD,,,Me I have a 34~32 right next to my bed and in my hand in less than 1 Sec.,,,Im defending myself BEFORE you even get to your AK~47,,,SO WHY DO YOU NEED AN AK~47???
Old     (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       03-11-2018, 8:50 PM Reply   
there is Gun control and you don't even Know it ,IF YOUR GUN NOT REGISTERED ,ITS A FELONY,AND IF YOUR CONVICTED OF A FELONY ,YOU CAN'T HAVE A GUN...
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-11-2018, 10:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
there is Gun control and you don't even Know it ,IF YOUR GUN NOT REGISTERED ,ITS A FELONY,AND IF YOUR CONVICTED OF A FELONY ,YOU CAN'T HAVE A GUN...
Maybe you should educate yourself before you start spouting off "facts" and making yourself look stupid.

In many States, you do not actually register a gun. Not only is it not required, there isn't even a place to do it.

Being that you can't register a gun, you can't be arrested for having an unregistered gun, they are all unregistered.

WTF is a 34-32, a pair of pants you keep at the end of the bed?
Old     (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       03-11-2018, 10:57 PM Reply   
New Law ,Saw it on the Daily show the other night ,Got to Register Your gun NOW...
34~32 is a Louisville Slugger...You'll BEG Me to stop Beating You...
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-12-2018, 2:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
New Law ,Saw it on the Daily show the other night ,Got to Register Your gun NOW...
34~32 is a Louisville Slugger...You'll BEG Me to stop Beating You...
Haha, great source. Was the Onion website having issues? That is not a new law.

Good luck with your toy. The bad guy wouldn't even need a gun or knife it is so easy to disarm someone with a bat, but if they had either then you're dead.

I'm sorry you don't take protecting your family more seriously and can only hope no one ever intends harm to them.

But stop talking about guns, you know nothing about them.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-12-2018, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
In Texas:
incorrect on the last one. we do have barrel length restrictions on shotguns.
Class 3 permits for full auto weapons
and long waiting periods for silencers - but progress is being made in this area ( to protect our little ears)

I'm all for waiting periods for those with shady backgrounds and more stringent mental health considerations. I think we need SOME reform of current laws. What we refuse to let happen is what Florida already TRIED to do, ban "assault weapons" because some blowhard housewives got all in a tizzy about another school shooting.

Put guns back on campus, in the hands of trained individuals

Problem with mental health is we have no idea who they are, how sick they really are and how to help them. Slapping a bunch of mental health restrictions on the back end of a gun purchase questionnaire is like tell a 40 year old stripper she still looks good. We all feel better about it, but did anything really get done?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-12-2018, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
I get it ,You want and SHOULD be able to Protect yourself ,,,OK lets say you have a wife and 2 kids ,one kids a 16 year old boy and an 6 year old girl,,,Is an AK~47 you best choice of protection ???Wouldn't you have to keep your AK~47 up and away from your kids???AND Locked up too???WELL in the middle of the Night you hear something in your House (Where I live I haven't heard a home invasion Happen in years ,BUT I live in the concrete jungle)WHAT YOU GOING TO DO??? Run to your AK~47 unlock it and start shooting at anything that Moves???HOW LONG THAT GOING TO TAKE???YOUR DEAD,,,Me I have a 34~32 right next to my bed and in my hand in less than 1 Sec.,,,Im defending myself BEFORE you even get to your AK~47,,,SO WHY DO YOU NEED AN AK~47???
AK-47 isn't for home defense.

I have a .45 and a 12 guage for that. No, it's not the length it was originally....