Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-07-2017, 10:43 AM Reply   
Hey I'm in the market for a 110 Volt jack hammer. I wanted to solicit your advice. At our lake house it's so rocky you can't seem to dig 2 inches with out hitting shale. Example you want to plant a tree or bush you need a Jack hammer, you want to dig a trench You need a jack hammer. So it seems to be a tool that comes in handy. I have had my eye on the BOSCH Brute it's a 65 lb monster they sell for around $700 used and $1000-$1400 new. Bosch also has a smaller lighter weight version innthe 45 lb range. Pretty sure the BOSCH Brute's strike force is in the 45 Lb range. I have used a friends cheep "Hitachi clone" for small digging projects and it worked ok. It's pretty light and got the job done. I also have some larger projects in mind so I was not sure weather or not to get a smaller lighter hammer or get the big dog? I had not used a Big hammer so I didn't know if the Extra weight of the big hammer make the job easy or if it's a Pain to Lug around the extra weight of a big hammer like the Brute.

2nd question
What are the smaller Rotory Hammers all about. Do some of these Rotory Jack hammers have the ability to drill or core?

Thanks
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-07-2017, 11:00 AM Reply   
Here is a picture of the Brute that I had my eye on. This is the 65lb Monster with the 45LB strike force
Attached Images

Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-07-2017, 11:16 PM Reply   
Used to do a lot of digging for a company that I worked for. Lots of clay covered shale, concrete and compacted base rock. We had one of the green Hitachi digging hammers (40-50lb or so) and the thing kicked ass for at least 10 years of being abused relentlessly. There were a couple of times that we rented the Brute (BC they were too cheap to rent a compressor) and expected the same results as a 60 or 90 lb pneumatic. The Brute really didn't measure up to the pneumatics but was just as heavy, I also remember that it had a "reduced vibration" handle which gave it a weird feel. Not as solid feeling as a "real" JH.

The little Hitachi usually was all we needed, was more maneuverable and easier to handle than either the Brute or the air powered ones. We used the Hitachi exclusively on one job digging light pole bases. 3' diameter and minimum 42" deep. We usually hit that effin shale at 6-8" down from the surface. Pulling a heavy JH out of a 42" hole all day was a drag for sure. 80 of those street lights with 2 guys doing the digging.

Now if you use a pneumatic all day and are used to handling one, thats the hot ticket. If you are just an occasional user, be ready to have your ass handed to you by the air powered style.

I liked using the Hitachi (with the "D" handle on the end and the swivel handle farther down) so much that I bought one used 12 or so years ago. Ive got one gad and one clay spade for it. Ive broken up 3 driveways with it myself, lent it out to friends for the same work, dug a couple hundred feet of trench and driven more ground rods than I care to count.

I haven't used it in nearly a year but wouldn't think of getting rid of it BC when you need one, well you need one.

As far as rotohammers, some of the larger ones will push up to a 2" core bit. Not fast by any means and anything over 1-1/4 can be a pain in the ass. We generally use them for 1/4" to 3/4" concrete anchors. Rotohammers are great for this. Bosch or Hilti are pretty durable and widely used in the trades.

Over 1-1/4 cores, I like a purpose built core rig like something from Milwaukee. They'll cut an 8" core through concrete and steel like butter - and without the constant hammering action of a rotohammer, are arguably less destructive to concrete if thats what you're drilling holes in.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-08-2017, 9:15 AM Reply   
Hey thanks for the input. I think you have convinced me that smaller is better. I will start looking in the 35lb hammer Market. These lighter more agile hammers seem like they will get more use in my application because they are easy to use and much lighter then the Brute 65 pound hammer. Your right pulling a 65 pound hammer in and out of a 2 foot hole all day will kill ya. Like I said my property is full of shale and a auger will not work because its filled with shale rock you need to get in their and hammer out all the rock and then think about digging a hole, I have a bunch more bushes and palms to install,

The Hitachi clones can be bought in the $250-450 range, just wondering in the Bosch or Mikita or Dewalt versions of that Hitachi clone are worth the extra $400-$500? Keep in Ming I'm not a contractor so the tool is not gonna get used all that much. Would you advise getting the "real deal" like a name brand hammer or just going with a cheep throw away tool like the Clone and use it and abuse it and be done.

Your 100% right about having it when you need it. In the past when I need to dig a hole I just ask around and a friend or neighbor has a digging hammer, they seem to be like The Comunity bicycle and no one has any issue lending out a $200 tool. Not so sure I would wanna "lend out" a new $800 Bosch hammer
Attached Images

Old    deltahoosier            03-08-2017, 12:22 PM Reply   
Just rent it. Ace Hardware and other places have electric JH for rent.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-08-2017, 5:52 PM Reply   
rental may be a option, I guess I would have to plan exactly when I needed it and then go for it.
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-09-2017, 5:59 PM Reply   
Bosch 11316evs. Best 1 for digging. I recently tried a few out including the Bosch 45 you pictured. Nothing compares. I recently chipped 60+ yards of rock. Yes I said 60. 6 full 10 wheelers full. It is exactly what you want.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2017, 6:50 PM Reply   
You broke 60 yards of rock with this?

You my friend are a Animail!
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2017, 6:52 PM Reply   
Btw they had this at the local tool rental place I will try iit out if you say it's good
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-09-2017, 7:29 PM Reply   
Use a 2" wide chisel bit. The shovel bit is only good in the softer stuff. 1" bit is too small.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-26-2017, 9:12 PM Reply   
Ryan I found a Brand new 11316EVS guy is willing to take $500 what do you think I can get a factory reconditioned one for about the same price
Attached Images

Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-09-2017, 2:46 PM Reply   
Did you ever get one Grant?

Just saw one on CL in San Jo for 250. New all metal Hitachi like the one that I have. Not sure about if bits were included.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-09-2017, 10:04 PM Reply   
No I still have not got one. I'm close . I found a guy gave me some information he may be shouldn't have . Apparently you can buy Bosch jackhammers brand-new from Home Depot at a huge discount. I met a guy selling a couple of bran new Bosch jackhammers on craigslist . He said he gets them from Home Depot in Ontario California where he buys them in an auction. He buys the tools from the Home Depot auction and resells them on craigslist for a profit
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-10-2017, 1:32 PM Reply   
Just picked up a BOSCH GSH-16 for $300. 35Lb hammer with 22Lbs of strike force.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-10-2017, 1:34 PM Reply   
It feels light enough to dig holes with but also heavy enough and long enough with the Suspension handle to Demmo Concreat. It can with no bits so I will need to get a few. I wanna get a clay spade and a point any others ?
Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-10-2017, 9:49 PM Reply   
That looks pretty nice and the price sounds good. As far as bits, I only use the gad (pointed one) and the clay spade. Ive always wanted to get a bit for driving ground rods or concrete stakes but have been driving both without one for over 10 years now so its kinda pointless (no pun intended) to get one now.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-11-2017, 9:20 AM Reply   
My $300 Bosch hammer came with No bits. A few clicks on Amazon and $100 later I got 2 bits, Clay spade and a Chisel, and I'll pick up the point bit from the Local Lowes. My first project with this is gonna be digging some holes to plant some palm trees. I also have a patch of Walk way I wanna dig up and turn into a planter for some shrubs. I will post a photo of the bits. These things are no joke!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-11-2017, 11:12 AM Reply   
"Vlad the impaler"
Attached Images

Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-12-2017, 12:16 PM Reply   
How does it work? If the other is still for sale for 500 I'd buy it. I need another one.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-13-2017, 7:16 AM Reply   
Ryan: I quickly tryed it out on the edge of some old concrete and it smashed right threw it so it works great. The work I wanna do with it is at the lake house so I can't "try it out" down here. And I'm waiting for a new swivel handle ( it's the lower handle ) I will have a full report back soon. What hammer were you Intrested in getting
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-13-2017, 7:43 AM Reply   
Now that I have done quite a bit of research I can share what I know.
You have 2 major Types of hammers. 1 is a "Demmo Hammer" typically Demmo hammers are smaller & lighter & they work as a Drill & a Jack hammer with the turn of a switch. You can drill or core a hole and then change bits and it works as a jack hammer. These tend to be smaller and lighter. Great for working on vertical surfaces. Or a all around tool. A Demmo hammer is somthing most home improvement DIY'ers could use. #2 A Jack or Breakhammer is a traditional jack hammer they can't drill or core they just hammer straight down. jack or Break hammers are longer heavier and have more impact force. If your breaking concrete that's more then 3 inches thick and you have a lot of it I recommend a Break/Jack hammer, because they are longer your standing up hammering down and it uses the extra weight to your advantage. As far as digging holes in the ground? If you have a Demmo hammer your gonna be working on your knees digging the hole if you have a jack hammer your gonna be more vertical but they will be a bit heavier. Sure it would be great to have both. The jack hammers weight and impact force are 2 entirely different numbers. You want a hammer that's light weight but delivers a high impact force. My piticular hammer weights 35 LBS and delivers a 22 pound strike force
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-13-2017, 3:54 PM Reply   
i want another 20. I have access to the 60. I need the 20 for more vertical work. I have heard the newer 20s are not as good as the older 1.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-13-2017, 10:31 PM Reply   
Not sure if the old ones are better then the new ones. But the 20lb hammers seem pretty easy to come by. Fairly common in my parts, older 20 lb ones I have see for as low as $100 and go up to around $400. New Used ones are selling in the $500-$700 range. And that's with a few bits
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-15-2017, 9:34 PM Reply   
This thing Gets down.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-16-2017, 5:00 PM Reply   
I got a deal i could not turn down on this Demo/Roto Hammer. I need to drill some holes so this will do the trick and it also works as a light weight Jackhammer/Chipper
Attached Images

Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       04-17-2017, 1:25 PM Reply   
Where did you get that for $300??
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-17-2017, 8:57 PM Reply   
I got it on Craig's list. It need'd a clean up and it needed some parts. I took it apart and striped all the paint off it and gave it a "arasol overhaul" here it it striped and then painted.
I bought 3 bits and some parts so I have $500 into it.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-18-2017, 12:31 PM Reply   
This thing is no joke
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-18-2017, 1:27 PM Reply   
Done: no on the the next project
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-19-2017, 5:07 PM Reply   
I needed to get rid of these brick stairs. So I brought home the 35LB and the Smaller lighter Roto Hammer. I forgot to bring home my ear protection, I always were ears. I thought no big deal and I fired up the 35pound Holly $Hit that thing is loud. My poor ears! I turned it right off. I grabbed the smaller lighter Roto Hammer, this thing rocks it smashed these stairs in 15 Mins.
Attached Images

Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-05-2017, 9:47 PM Reply   
My Bosch finally took a ****. Ordered some parts today. We will see if I can get it back in service.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-17-2020, 3:51 AM Reply   
Well I have been playing with Jackhammers. I have been using my Small Handheld Roto Hammer as well as the larger Medium sized hammer on our Dock clearance project. We are chipping away at this large rock to make room for the boat come summer time. It’s nice to switch between both hammers. (Give yourself a break) a buddy is lending me his Large BOSCH Hammer, I’m Intrested to run it and see how the 70lb strike force Hammer works. I’m very impressed with the Hand Held roto hammer. It delivers a high frequency style blow to the rock. Example the traditional hammers go Bang Bang Bang. The hand held hammer is like a vibra saw. It almost saw’s the rock.

Seeing as how zero rock and dirt can’t fall or be placed in the Lake. It all needs to be bucketed up and hauled up to the road where I can take it away. Any one need a Crossfitt style work out! Hauling 70 pound buckets uphill?
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-18-2020, 10:32 AM Reply   
Happy to Report the 70 Hammer does work. Yes it’s a bit more difficult to maneuver but once you find a vein in the rock this thing will move some serious rock. I’m glad we had it. It was nice to have all 3 in fact depending on the hardness of the rock and what you needed to do each one of the hammers worked great. Moving forward we will defiantly have all 3 at hand. Pro Tip. Have all 3 plugged in ready to go and just go from one to another or switch off. We moved some serious rock on day 2
Attached Images

Last edited by grant_west; 01-18-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-04-2020, 12:39 PM Reply   
If you hit blue stone it will laugh at the 70. We used an 80 air and it was a struggle. I now try to use a mini ex with a breaker.