Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2016, 7:17 AM Reply   
Looks pretty darn good!

I'm a bit of a fanboy, but I think they did a great job with it. Looks great, minimum range is 200+, base 0-60 is 5.xx sec (I'm sure dual motor will be much faster).... I just hope the tax credit holds up til my number is called.

Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-01-2016, 9:25 AM Reply   
Elon Musk---- Model 3 orders at 180,000 in 24 hours. Selling price w/avg options $42K, so - $7.5B in a day.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-01-2016, 9:29 AM Reply   
Crazy they got that number of reservations for a $40K commuter.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-01-2016, 10:08 AM Reply   
I think this car is what was needed to get America really interested in electric cars. I know that some are on the fence of the real carbon footprint with using electricity from coal fired electric plants though. My dream would be to get solar panels, a Tesla power wall setup and then one of these cars. I really like it and love tech stuff like this.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-01-2016, 10:48 AM Reply   
Now at 198,000 pre orders...and counting! They claim they will be able to produce 500,000 cars per year at full capacity.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-01-2016, 10:54 AM Reply   
Now we have to figure out how to tax electric cars for their road use since that is currently in the price of gas/diesel. I'm guessing that it will cost us more tax dollars to figure out how to tax them than it will generate in the first year.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-01-2016, 11:13 AM Reply   
well, they burn coal.... so that should be easy. Based off the kilowatt hour, the whole country will see a hike increase.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-01-2016, 11:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Now we have to figure out how to tax electric cars for their road use since that is currently in the price of gas/diesel. I'm guessing that it will cost us more tax dollars to figure out how to tax them than it will generate in the first year.
Then they can use the money somewhere else.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-01-2016, 11:15 AM Reply   
The line to get on the waiting list here in Bellevue, WA. was unbelievably long. Which makes sense... since the last estimate I heard was $24,500,000 worth of Model 3 orders in Bellevue alone.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-01-2016, 11:25 AM Reply   
If they sell here this will be my next car
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2016, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Now at 198,000 pre orders...and counting!
Crazy.

My wife's lease is up in Dec of 2017, I'm scared that Wisconsin won't be seeing the 3 until 6+ after the initial deliveries begin .... not sure what we'll do to bridge that +6 month gap if thats the case. Fingers crossed people drop off when it gets closer.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 04-01-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-01-2016, 11:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeders View Post
well, they burn coal.... so that should be easy. Based off the kilowatt hour, the whole country will see a hike increase.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2016, 12:06 PM Reply   
I love what Tesla is doing. I love how a realitivaty new comer in the auto industry is schooling Detroit and even Eroupe.
IMO Tesla is giving people what they want. Detroit is giving people what Detroit Wants. And the free market is speaking loudly with their dollar.

I love how tesla markets their cars. Here are pics of the Modle S in a showroom in the Stanfor Mall.
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-01-2016, 12:48 PM Reply   
Detroit hates Tesla from everything I have read too. I just hope that they can build a reliable car on that large of a scale. Small production is a lot easier to put out a quality, reliable product.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-01-2016, 1:56 PM Reply   
Tesla's are like honda civics here in the bay area peninsula. Im sure a majority of that initial order is staying right here.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-01-2016, 2:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
Tesla's are like honda civics here in the bay area peninsula. Im sure a majority of that initial order is staying right here.
Yeah they are! I hadn't been to the bay area for a few years and was out there 2 weeks ago and I think I saw at least 30 Model S's in my 2 days that I was there. Saw colors that I didn't even know existed too.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2016, 3:10 PM Reply   
This is a P85-D Modle
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2016, 3:11 PM Reply   
Here is the front motor
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2016, 3:15 PM Reply   
I agree Teslas are all over the place here. The SUVs are starting to show up all over the place
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-01-2016, 3:17 PM Reply   
Elon Musk is my personal hero. We are so lucky EBAY gave him $180 million to spread into SPACEX, TESLA and SOLARCITY.

Capitalism and ambition working very well!

Now, someone needs to get to work on Thorium Reactors -- a much much better nuclear power than uranium. Much shorter half lives and no meltdowns.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       04-01-2016, 4:42 PM Reply   
Oahu is lousy with Model S's also.

Might have to see about a dual motor 3 when our lease is up. Hope they've improved the handling - that was the only thing I really didn't care for on the S.
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-03-2016, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Now at 198,000 pre orders...and counting! They claim they will be able to produce 500,000 cars per year at full capacity.

Correction...Musk said that the Fremont plant WAS pumping out 500K cars when it was operational under Ford and Toyota at full capacity...not that THEY could pump out 500K cars. He has already said that they are having to rethink the production schedule based on the number of pre-order deposits.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-03-2016, 6:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
IMO Tesla is giving people what they want. Detroit is giving people what Detroit Wants. And the free market is speaking loudly with their dollar.
IMO If this is what the people want, there would not have to be a tax credit to get people to buy them.

Just one more government program flushing money away.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2016, 7:46 AM Reply   
300,000 Preorders in the first weekend - Almost $15 Billion in Sales in one weekend - What the heck is going on?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-04-2016, 10:07 AM Reply   
(Wake wheeler) IMO the govement providing welfare is flushing down the drain. This is Just my 2c.
When the government re-distributes wealth to people who don't want to work that's "Flushing Money down the drain"

If the government provides a "tax incentive" for People to buy a American made product such as a all electric car that puts Americans to work, and those Americans pay tax $'s that Go back into the system my guess is that money that the government "flushed down the toilet" as you said it is replenished many times over.

And as a side note it lessens our dependency on forgin oil. Again this is just my 2c but the fully electric car is just the first step. A Electric car being charged by a Coal burning power plant, No Bueno. A All electric car being recharged by a Solor system. "Pure Genius"
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-04-2016, 10:44 AM Reply   
^ Everything G said.
I don't the the tax credit has a huge bearing on how many people have pre-ordered... I'm assuming I won't the credit get based on my location and their delivery schedule, doesn't really matter to me; if I do get it, icing on the cake.

I bought my Volt a few years ago hoping to to give the EV thing a try, if it seemed likeable wait for the Model 3 or when a used Model S was more reasonably priced. We also timed my wife's lease to end in Dec of 2017 with the Model 3 release. I really like the Volt and am actually hoping on keeping it and having my wife drive the Model 3... other option would be sell the Volt, I go model 3 and she goes with the car she wants (new body style Lexus RX).
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-04-2016, 11:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Correction...Musk said that the Fremont plant WAS pumping out 500K cars when it was operational under Ford and Toyota at full capacity...not that THEY could pump out 500K cars. He has already said that they are having to rethink the production schedule based on the number of pre-order deposits.
My bad! Thanks for finding the real info.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-04-2016, 1:26 PM Reply   
i just counted 4 of the Tesla SUV's in my work parking garage. CLEAANNNNN
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-04-2016, 2:19 PM Reply   
I reserved one for the hell of it lol
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-04-2016, 2:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
300,000 Preorders in the first weekend - Almost $15 Billion in Sales in one weekend - What the heck is going on?
Not SALES. RESERVATIONS. It only takes $1000 to mark your spot in line, and the deposit is refundable. We'll see how many people actually pony up when it comes time to cut the check for the delivery.
So they have taken in $300mil in reservation deposits
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2016, 7:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Not SALES. RESERVATIONS.
My gut says 40-60% of these people drop out when its time to build their car and enter into a purchase agreement. Personally if when its time for me to pick my options, colors, etc, if I haven't had a chance to sit in one/test drive one at a dealership, I doubt I would go through with my order.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-05-2016, 8:34 AM Reply   
And the company is still losing almost 7 dollars per share. Will Tesla become profitable this year? Depends on how they handle production I suppose. The cars may not be overpriced but the company stock sure is. I wonder when it will be time to sell short.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-05-2016, 8:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
And the company is still losing almost 7 dollars per share. Will Tesla become profitable this year? Depends on how they handle production I suppose. The cars may not be overpriced but the company stock sure is. I wonder when it will be time to sell short.
I called it on sunday, I knew there was going to a 5-6% jump, followed by a sellout.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-05-2016, 9:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
$7 per share on $246 stock isn't bad for new company. stock price up 50% per year for the last 5 years. Sales keep up like this and that price will be justifiable.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-05-2016, 12:45 PM Reply   
Great if you bought it 5 years ago.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2016, 1:05 PM Reply   
Side note / other EV news, if you're in CA you can get a Ford Focus EV lease for free.... yes free.

Single people earning $35,650 or less annually, or households of four earning $72,900 or less, are eligible for enhanced rebates: $3,000 for plug-in hybrids or $4,000 for battery electric vehicles.

2015 Focus EV MSRP of $29,995 should be able to negotiate down to $27,200 before incentives. As for incentives, there's $9,750 in Red Carpet Lease (RCL) Customer Cash and $3,000 Bonus Customer Cash, available to all California lessees.... also $500 for recent grads, military, or first responders.

$27,200 - $13250 in incentives + $695 for an acquisition fee = Net Cap Cost @ $14,595
Ford puts the residual value for a 36 mo., 10k mile a year lease at 40%.... 40% of MSRP = $11,998
Money Factor = .24% APR
Monthly payment works out to $81 incl tax. Dealer fees + tax on incentives + doc fees + first month payment = ~$1500 drive off
Total lease cost - drive off + payments = $4,055 .... but if you qualify for the rebate it covers all but $55 in the costs.... 3 years of a car for $55.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-05-2016, 1:55 PM Reply   
here is a interesting way of looking at things, I have heard Elon explain it this way.
Let's say you match up a Tesla against another Like a 7 Series BMW.

Let's say the say both cars cost 100k Let's say the monthly payment is $1500

well that BMW cost more then $1500 each month because you have to pay to fuel it and for oil changes,ect That cost get's added into the payment or Cost to run the car.

His argument was that when you buy a Tesla your getting more for your $ because fuel cost is nothing.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2016, 2:08 PM Reply   
^ Also maintenance is minimal.... no fluids to change, no belts, water pumps, cooling, spark plugs or wires, etc etc.

You have tires, brakes, and suspension to worry about ... and the brakes should last a LONG time with the regen braking on the car
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-05-2016, 5:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
here is a interesting way of looking at things, I have heard Elon explain it this way.
Let's say you match up a Tesla against another Like a 7 Series BMW.

Let's say the say both cars cost 100k Let's say the monthly payment is $1500

well that BMW cost more then $1500 each month because you have to pay to fuel it and for oil changes,ect That cost get's added into the payment or Cost to run the car.

His argument was that when you buy a Tesla your getting more for your $ because fuel cost is nothing.
Not to mention that 7 series is worthless in 5 years. That model S (I'm assuming, that is the tesla you're comparing to the 7 series) will hold its value substantially better.

However, to play devils advocatw these cars have not been around long enough imo to test the endurance of the batteries. So, there could end up being a large cost of maintenance/replacement of the batteries and charging system.

I could give a damn about fuel mileage, I drive a 600+whp diesel lifted with 37s everyday. I figured for 35k what the hell it's not a bad looking car, and surely someone would pay the convenience of not having to wait in line when mine is delivered 😂
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-07-2016, 6:26 AM Reply   
I wonder what happens if/when Tesla goes belly up before they can deliver any of these orders? I would bet giving back the $1k per order will not be a priority when they are trying to save the company. I don't think a company that size can lose a billion dollars per year (like they did last year) for to many years and realistically, given their track record, we are at least two years away from the first delivery of a model 3.

Don't get me wrong, I love Elon Musk. I think he is exactly the kind of person this country needs more of. However, he may have bitten off more than he can chew.

Oh, and that "SUV" is ugly as hell.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-07-2016, 6:59 AM Reply   
And don't forget when that 7 series comes out of warranty and the f&*(ing thing falls apart and costs you thousands a month to keep it on the damn road!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-07-2016, 7:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
I don't think a company that size can lose a billion dollars per year (like they did last year) for to many years and realistically, given their track record, we are at least two years away from the first delivery of a model 3.
I think their "loses" are like how Amazon is never making money.... their current business model is based in re-investment into the company and not turning a profit. Giving up short term profits for long term major growth and sustainability.

Amazon's numbers for reference -
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-07-2016, 11:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
I think their "loses" are like how Amazon is never making money.... their current business model is based in re-investment into the company and not turning a profit. Giving up short term profits for long term major growth and sustainability.
There is a big difference between reinvesting what you have and not making money, or very much, like Amazon, and losing a lot of money from investors, like Tesla. I am sure they will get more investments to keep them afloat with 10s of billions in orders out there, but there is really something wrong with the valuation of a company when you can almost buy GM for the same price as Tesla.
Attached Images

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-11-2019, 10:35 PM Reply   
So super bump, 2.5 years on,who has a model 3? Tesla seems to have weathered the storm and is past break even now. Model 3's will be here in a few months, pretty sure I will order a dual motor soon.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-04-2019, 2:17 PM Reply   
So look what I just did
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-08-2019, 2:20 AM Reply   
Congrats: on your new ride your gonna like it. Is this your first fully electric car.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-08-2019, 6:25 AM Reply   
Nice!

got a chance to ride in one not long ago. Holy ****. If people thought they had to pick between performance and green/electric/tree huggy car, they're wrong. Thing will straight up fly off the line.

I'm interested in one but also want to see a few more on the road before I buy. It's not like gas is high.

I'm curious what happens 7 to 10 years in when the batteries are shot. ship it back to TSLA for a $$$ upgrade/refresh? I'm sure they are cutting edge tech, but all batteries wear out. Panasonic making batts for TSLA IIRC.

Last edited by denverd1; 07-08-2019 at 6:27 AM.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-08-2019, 7:26 AM Reply   
Yes first electric car, it has a 8 year 192,000k warranty on the battery and we turn our vehicles every 4 years so I'm not worried about the battery.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2019, 3:19 AM Reply   
How common is that car in NZ. We are 30 mins from the factory and Tesla’s are very common here, just don’t know if it’s because we are so close or are they as popular all over the world.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-09-2019, 8:35 AM Reply   
It will be one of the first model 3, we haven't had any delivered here yet. We have a few X & S here but not common.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2019, 3:20 AM Reply   
Anybody know someone that has bought a used Tesla model S. I'm intrigued about the performance side of things for my wife's next car. I never buy new cars, I always buy in great condition used cars.

I just want to know if anybody has heard of any problem replacing batteries or anything since they have been out awhile now.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-10-2019, 5:58 AM Reply   
With our stupid high fuel prices here in BC Tesla's are popping up all over the place. I see quite a few new Model 3's daily now. Saw a white one yesterday that had some after market wheels on it and it looked really good.

I also know someone that bought a used S and hasn't had any issues so far but I'm not sure where he is mileage wise. Everyone raves about the overall performance though as there's no switching gears so the car just goes and goes with immediate power.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-06-2019, 4:46 AM Reply   
Elon says the car will last 1M miles, batteries 300K to 500K. says battery modules will be available soon..
https://electrek.co/2019/04/13/tesla...ims-elon-musk/
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-26-2019, 4:21 PM Reply   
I'm collecting mine on Sunday. Wooooooo. Anybody want to buy a 2013 Audi S4 wagon, one careful lady owner.....
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-28-2019, 2:37 AM Reply   
Ralph Let’s see some pics when you get it! Congrats
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-28-2019, 2:48 AM Reply   
You'll have a lot of fun! We sadly said goodbye to our i3s last week and ended up going back to the dark side
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-28-2019, 7:06 PM Reply   
Wow, it is amazing
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-29-2019, 2:43 AM Reply   
I dig the white seats.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-29-2019, 10:41 AM Reply   
They are super soft, feels like you are sitting in a big marsh mellow
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-02-2019, 2:37 PM Reply   
Customization has begun. I love this car, it is amazing. I just drove my old Audi S4 and it felt like going back in time.
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2019, 5:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Customization has begun. I love this car, it is amazing. I just drove my old Audi S4 and it felt like going back in time.
So I’m sure that means you’re gonna move the steering wheel to the proper side then? I’ve ridden in a model 3 before. How does your S4 feel outdated? Certainly not performance-wise right?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-02-2019, 9:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
So I’m sure that means you’re gonna move the steering wheel to the proper side then? I’ve ridden in a model 3 before. How does your S4 feel outdated? Certainly not performance-wise right?
In many many ways, keep in mind my S4 was a 2013 so the media, phone and navigation interface was getting pretty old. But yes especially in terms of performance, the Model 3 performance is in a different universe when it comes to sledge hammer acceleration and grip.

Check out this top gear video of a drag between model 3, M3, AMG and Alpha.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXqu...&feature=share
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2019, 4:41 PM Reply   
Installed the tow bar and bike rack today. Can take two mountain bikes and two road bikes top the lake. Minter.
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-05-2019, 6:20 PM Reply   
That bike rack is hilarious. It looks like it would scrape-even a tame driveway.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2019, 7:34 PM Reply   
It looks pretty low in the photo but it's not to bad, I've got a pretty steep driveway and it's ok so far in and out a couple of times
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-07-2019, 7:41 PM Reply   
Wrapped the wing mirrors today. Not sure i like it, I'll keep for a few days to see if it grows on me
Attached Images

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-13-2019, 4:29 PM Reply   
Wrapped the centre consol. Much easier to live with than the piano black
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-13-2019, 4:59 PM Reply   
Surprised to see you wrap the console that was already black, but okay... I love some of the carbon wraps. I covered the white graphics of my boat with the same.

Back to the seats... you mentioned earlier that they were like sitting in a marshmallow. That’s NOT what I want it to feel like whilst in a sports car. Care to expand on your previous comment?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-13-2019, 5:30 PM Reply   
The piano black console looks great when new and clean but it shows finger prints so easily and I'm sure will get covered micro scratches i think wrapping it is the right choice. The seats are very very soft, definitely not sports seats. Not that i feel like your going to fall out of them but they are not optimised for track days, that's for sure.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-13-2019, 11:58 PM Reply   
Nice job on the wrap: did you do a b-4 & After photos of the Mirrors
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2019, 9:41 AM Reply   
Cheers G, No I didn't take any photos of the white mirrors but they are stock so plenty of photos of them around. The look has really grown on me so I have done both now. I've also wrapped the rear valence which nobody would notice but I really like how it ties everything together. I need to stop now I think before I completely rice it out. I've ordered some mini mud guard things, that might be the last wrapping on the outside.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-14-2019, 12:51 PM Reply   
The carbon wrap looks good what did you use ?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2019, 1:34 PM Reply   
Just a no-name 4D black carbon I bought locally. If you were serious about it you would use 3M 1080 or Avery.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2019, 1:56 PM Reply   
I had a go at amateur paint correction and a SI2 coating on the bonnet last night. Wow, looks like liquid glass now.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-13-2019, 7:35 PM Reply   
Added some mud flaps, carbon wrapped of course
Attached Images

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-13-2019, 7:38 PM Reply   
Installed the charger at work where i have 3 phase power. 85% running cost saving over the Audi.
Attached Images

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-13-2019, 7:40 PM Reply   
Oh and received an over the air update which pushed it up to 500hp tonight. 0-60 down to 3.0 seconds now.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       11-14-2019, 6:32 AM Reply   
"It was just over a month ago that we reported on a Tesla accident in Austria that resulted in firefighters needing to use a special container to transport the remains of the vehicle and the battery at the scene of the accident.

Now, the owner of the vehicle is having trouble finding someone who will properly recycle his wrecked car and its battery. It's been sitting in one place since the accident and Tyrol reports that "nobody wants to burn their fingers to dispose of the car with its unpredictable 600kg lithium ion battery".

The owner, Dominik Freymuth, says he feels "abandoned by the manufacturer". Every morning he passes by the wreckage of his old vehicle, a stark reminder of being pulled out of his burning vehicle before it was charred to the ground, he says.

To try and get the car taken care of after the wreck, he reached out to Tesla's Austrian disposal partner ÖCAR Autoverwertungs. Tesla's website says "ÖCAR Automobile Recycling has a large network of authorized recycling and disposal partners fully licensed by the Department of the Environment."

But ÖCAR reportedly has "no permission" to take over Tesla models, according to a spokeswoman for the company. She stated: "I can not give you any information because we have no authorization for Tesla."

Many disposal companies don't want to deal with the Tesla batter, because its a "fire hazard" and because you "do not remember where the battery starts and where it stops" - especially after a wreck.

Martin Klingler, waste disposal expert at the Schwaz environmental company DAKA, said (translated):

"Such a large lithium battery can not be taken over by his company, since one does not even know the mix of dangerous substances inside them. The electric vehicle manufacturers kept the composition of their elixirs top secret so as not to lose their competitive edge. The liquid in which the accident car was cooled by the Walchsee is a dangerously poisonous brew, but now a coveted drop. The Montanuniversität Leoben has already secured samples of it in order to discover the secret of its content."

Roland Pomberger, chair for a waste utilization technology in Leoben, when asked on how to deal with a Tesla battery, simply said: "I don't know."

He continued: "That falls into the producer responsibility, and the Walchsee Tesla show that the manufacturer has probably not thought too much about it. Here one has failed to think from cradle to stretcher."

And the fiasco has Freymuth rethinking ever buying a Tesla again: "I will not buy any more, now that I know the time bomb I am sitting on," he said.

Recall, Freymuth lost control of his Tesla and crashed into a tree, after first hitting a guardrail. It was then that the vehicle caught fire.

People passing by the scene of the accident took the man out of the vehicle and called emergency services, we reported last month.

In order to put out the fire, the street had to be closed and fire authorities had to bring in a container user to cool the vehicle. The container held 11,000 liters (11 tons) of water and was designed to eliminate the risk of the battery catching fire.

We noted in October that some 11,000 liters of water are needed to finally extinguish a burning Tesla but an average fire engine only carries around 2,000 liters of water.

Fire brigade spokesman Peter Hölzl was worried after the accident that the car could still catch fire for up to three days after the initial fire.

At this point, we can't even say that we're surprised that Tesla's "disposal partner" in Austria doesn't have the licenses or the desire to handle Tesla vehicles. We just hope that the EPA and other environmentalist do-gooders will take an interest in just how "green" the disposal of Tesla's batteries winds up being. But we're sure they won't."

Hey, maybe we can start burying Teslas at the bottom of the ocean, like nuclear waste!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-14-2019, 9:50 AM Reply   
Eh, who cares. I've got insurance and I didn't buy the car for environmental reasons.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       11-14-2019, 1:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Eh, who cares. I've got insurance and I didn't buy the car for environmental reasons.
It wasn't directed towards you. But since you mentioned insurance, insurance paid him but no one will take the car & he's stuck with it.