Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (splashbenidorm)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-22-2013, 9:14 AM Reply   
Ask your friend to get himself a Cablepark!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-22-2013, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ssr View Post
Why is this a shock? Gold has never been anything but a hedge against inflation. Those using it in this manner for the entire year are still going to end up ahead. Whats the fuss?

Jo Schmo

Just wants to be right, and then he wants to sell his investment property.

Gold is really just a tool for hedging inflation 5-10% of someones portfolio should be gold for this reason.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-22-2013, 11:04 AM Reply   
"Those using it in this manner for the entire year are still going to end up ahead."
Not This year!
"Gold is really just a tool for hedging inflation 5-10% of someones portfolio should be gold for this reason."
True.
Jo Shmoe Was right about Gold!
Riley, why would I sell my investment property when the property market has bottomed out? I had zero investment in the property that I was talking about earlier. I will wait several more years until the market rebounds to sell my property and until then I will just rent them out. Now is the time to Buy property! opportunity of a lifetime!
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-18-2013, 3:52 PM Reply   
This, a month after Gold Dropped like a rock.
“Gold is going to get crushed”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...it-suisse.html

Riley said,"Jo Schmo just wants to be right, and then he wants to sell his investment property."
Riley,
It appears I was/am right and
Why would I sell my investment property when the property market has bottomed out? There are people that desperately need money and they are willing to sell their properties at very low prices, the housing market has been beaten down over the last several years, and has started to recover in several areas. Good neighborhoods will continue to increase in value and poor neighborhoods not so much.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       05-21-2013, 8:34 PM Reply   
paper gold markets may be gone but I wouldn't count out physical gold just yet. Might just be a play on the speculation that QE will be reduced, which is probably hopeful thinking that our economy won't collapse without it. Meanwhile China has been buying gold in mass....
Old     (SidebarEyewear)      Join Date: May 2013       05-23-2013, 2:10 PM Reply   
Gold prices will not rise back at 'pre historic' rates until the economy stabilizes. RIght now the equities market is peaking and testing new waters. There is always a recess period after reaching new heights like the DOW has in the past few months. Stay clear of Gold for a while. Don't buy consumer good equities, I'de look into AI if I were your buddy.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-28-2013, 4:35 PM Reply   
More gold fun...
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100851209
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-01-2013, 10:24 AM Reply   
Buy more now at a discounted rate, do some dollar cost averaging. Interest Rates will be going up in 2014. (everything i have read and studied says they will hit double digits) That will cause home prices to fall again. Who knows what the Stock market will do, but I am guessing it will go up and down up and down for a few years before a big drop. Gold always has been and always will be a hedge against inflation... If you are expecting double digit returns in a short amount of time you are delusional. You should have about 10% of your portfolio in Gold and Silver
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-01-2013, 4:08 PM Reply   
Gold is a short term investment. Commodities investment is not for the average investor. You have to chart it and have a target projection based on real research. Double digit interest rates won't happen unless the economy is chugging along so well that people like us don't even need credit because we can pay cash for a 300K house. If you are basing your investment decisions on the fear of the masses then you probably don't have what it takes to invest. Two things that should NEVER influence your investment decisions are fear and greed. The market will eat you alive. Smart investors will certainly take your money though if you insist on giving it to us. The market is a zero sum game so we always need losers to feed it in order for people like me to gain.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-01-2013, 5:35 PM Reply   
Eric, 5 years ago it was a no brainer where to put your money, put your money in stocks, not in real estate because the stock market was going to rebound much more quickly than the housing market. Well the stock market is at an all time high. so I guess you have to be more selective with which stocks you buy or you could be really stupid, and put all your money in gold. Houses have bottomed out and should only go up in value, Interest rates will Not be in the double digits in 2014, if you buy a place now and rent it out it could pay for itself! Why not buy property?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-21-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
Well, its been another year and I believe Gold is STILL in decline. Expect it to go down even further!
Barry Waste stated,
"Until you grasp the concept of cost vs. value in commodities you're doing a disservice to the audience continuing to give financial advice.
Sadly, it's been six month (18months now)and you still haven't taken the time to educate yourself."
Well my friend Warren, backs me up with my thoughts on Gold.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...gold/15909821/
This article should put to rest whether you should invest in gold.
I make no attempt to "teach" economics(even though I appear to know more than Barry), these are just my thoughts on Gold.

So, If you had $50,000 to invest, do you put it in stocks(on the next downturn)? I would not invest a dime at this point, or do you pay off the trailer you just bought in Florida?(Interest rate on trailer loan is 3.25)
Right now I am leaning to hold on to the cash, and when the market crashes again, jump in on a good fundamental company, and then what company do you go with when the Market crashes? Please nobody say gold.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-25-2014, 10:16 AM Reply   
Gold's only play was on the way down during fear-cession. Weak dollar, weak jobs market,weak economy, gold did fine. Not likely to ever repeat unless we see a confluence of similar issues.

I'm buying select equity positions and looking at real estate locally.

What, you don't like gold?

Last edited by denverd1; 09-25-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-17-2018, 3:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
The value of gold doesn't really change, only its cost.
Wow! The value of Gold has really gone down!
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-20-2018, 4:35 PM Reply   
What a great thread, so much bad advice. For those wondering the best place for your money is low fee Index funds. Pick an asset class mix that best suits your time period.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2018, 10:53 AM Reply   
in yourself
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-21-2018, 1:11 PM Reply   
Anyone have any experience buying 1st Trust Deeds? Ive bought a few, looking for new one now.
No stock market risk
Secured by real property
Monthly (mailbox) income
Last 2 I did were 10% plus 2 points.
6mo-5 year terms
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-23-2018, 9:02 AM Reply   
^ would be good to know.

been selling equity put options in this flat to slightly upward market. good return and I can control the risk
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-24-2018, 9:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blamey View Post
What a great thread, so much bad advice. For those wondering the best place for your money is low fee Index funds. Pick an asset class mix that best suits your time period.
Yeah this thread was quite funny to read. The bogleheads forum this place is not.

Quite possibly the funniest piece of investing text I've ever read, I snipped below. Do please tell me more about this "best trading software." LOL You know what they say, a fool and his money are easily parted. By all means keep paying your "very good" FA 1% of your AUM for doing 15 minutes worth of work a year.

"The markets really aren't that big a mystery, you just have to have an insider with access to the best trading software and best information working for you."
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-24-2018, 7:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
^ would be good to know.

been selling equity put options in this flat to slightly upward market. good return and I can control the risk
How are you controlling the risk.
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-25-2018, 8:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sn View Post
Anyone have any experience buying 1st Trust Deeds? Ive bought a few, looking for new one now.
No stock market risk
Secured by real property
Monthly (mailbox) income
Last 2 I did were 10% plus 2 points.
6mo-5 year terms
10% + 2 points, meaning what? 12% APR?

I am trying to read up on these and don't quite have a handle on them yet. Looks like a way to structure mortgages to make them easier to forclose.

With mortgage rates around 3% to 4%, I can't see how they are returning an ROI over 10% without some type of securitization giving much more risk to certain investors.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-26-2018, 12:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blamey View Post
How are you controlling the risk.
Using technicals to choose best strike price and expiration. Of course the underlying has a lot to do with it as well. Stick with companies I wouldn't mind owning and that have good call premium if I get exercised. Make money on entry and exit, sell calls while I own it.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-27-2018, 2:53 PM Reply   
We dont do APR . Say Annual rate is 10%, upon funding I get 2 points. For example $100K loan @ 10%. I fund $98K and the 2 points reduces funding amount, they still owe $100K. Loans are from 6 months to 5 years (its real estate, anything can be negotiated). They are amortized over 30 years so the payment is same as if stretched out over 30 years, w/ balloon payment at end of term. My rule of thumb is to not lend more than 50-60% of appraised value.
There are plenty of reasons for people to look for "Hard money". If I have 4 conventional home loans for ...say my personal residence and 3 rentals. I cant get another conventional loan, I need another source. Sometimes its tax issues, self employed, or credit or...anything that takes you out of conventional financing possibility. It really is NOT to set up the borrower for a foreclosure. A deal may still makes sense for a buyer if he can get shorter term hard money and once the issue is cleared he can pay off and get cheaper money. You can fund a complete loan or a portion of it, some feel this reduces risk. Here is one company I am just starting to get offers from. https://www.americanprivatemoneygroup.com/registration
If you complete their application, they will start emailing you loan offers. Here is one I got a week or so ago.

AMERICAN PRIVATE MONEY GROUP
a FMC Lending Company (888)99LEND9

NEW 1st TRUST DEED OPPORTUNITY
NEW REFINANCE WELL KEPT UPDATED SINGLE FAMILY RENTAL RESIDENCE
68% LOAN TO VALUE, CHINO, CA
POPULAR CITY SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY
RENTED FOR $2,950 PER MONTH
BORROWER JUST RECEIVED PROPERTY FROM FATHER WHO IS IN BAD HEALTH RATE & TERM REFINANCE BORROWER IS COMING IN WITH $4K TO CLOSE THE LOAN
Borrower is a Successful Second Generation Small Business Owner for the last 8 years. The family owns another 3 rental home and 2 large acreage properties in the local County.
STRONG 12.00% YIELD ON LOW LTV NICE DEAL

Loan Amount $348,000
Appraised Value $505,000
Loan to Value 68%
Protective Equity $157,000
Property Type Single Family
Occupancy Non-Owner
Investor Yield 12.00%
Loan Term 2Year(40 due 2)
*Appraisal Complete 8/04/18
*6 Months pre-payment penalty included
*Low Loan to Value, Strong Area

Details:
Our borrower is requesting a NEW refinance loan on this rental property in a top location of Chino, Ca. This is a popular city in San Bernardino county. The property appraised for $505,000. Our borrower lives locally and is a Successful Second Generation Small Business owner
for the last 8 years. The family owns another 3 rental homes and 2 large acreage parcels in the local area. This property is rented for $2,950 per month. The borrower is using the funds to pay a current note that has come due. Our borrower plans on selling this property within the next 18-20 months.

Low 68% Loan to Value on Well Kept

Family Rental Home Full Parcel

Rented for $1,550 per Month Stable + Strong

Business Owner 18+ Years

Details:
Enjoy the city lifestyle renters paradise with this large 7,168 sq. ft. Lot, with 1,612 sq. ft. of living area spread over 7 large rooms with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with a full kitchen, living room, dining room, family room and bonus room. The subject contains a large open patio area, covered porch, 2 car garage and 2 car driveway and plenty of open area throughout.

BONUS: Updated Kitchens & Bathrooms + Large Usable Backyard Long Covered Patio Flat Yard Nice (see pics)

**Strong Low 68% Loan to Value

**Rented For $2,950 per Mo

**Strong Borrower Business

**Very Nice Long Covered Patio

Options: Available as whole or multi-beneficiary(part)
Examples of investor returns:
ANY AMOUNTS
$87,000 partial interest- scheduled income: $877
$174,000 partial interest- scheduled income: $1,754
$348,000 whole note- scheduled mo. income $3,509

Fund directly into the insuring title company with 125% ALTA policy. Your vesting on Note and Deed of Trust.
Loan servicing: Superior Loan Servicing will be servicing agent or your choice.
Summary information only - call Andrew A. Dioli 650-343-0070 or email investor@AmericanPrivateMoneyGroup.com for more information or a complete due diligence package.

APMG, FMC Lending 380 Beach Road, Suite D, Burlingame, CA 94010
(888) 995-3639 (650) 343-0070 Fax: (415) 358-4223
CA Department of Real Estate License #01909075 / NMLS #874391

Hope that helps.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-28-2018, 8:48 AM Reply   
^^^That seems stupid risky. Are these numbers correct?

His payment to you (should you lend) is $3509?
He rents the place for $2950?
You expect him to come out of pocket $559 a month?

I've never known a landlord that liked coming out of pocket for anything. Furthermore, I've never known a landlord to hang on to a negative $560 a month cash flow property.

Only a fool would lend that guy money which is exactly why he can't secure any sort of traditional financing. If you've done OK on this sort of thing before, good on you, but there is WAY too much exposure for that kind of return IMO.

I'll stick to buying .03% ER index funds every month.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-28-2018, 4:06 PM Reply   
I agree, I would call ^^That a BAD investment for the buyer and a bit risky for the investor. That was the first one on my email list, I did not check it, just a quick copy/paste. Sometimes these owners will operate negative because they want the cash for a different project, so I dont try to pigeon hole the owner thinking he is only a landlord. Its common to use a property for collateral when cash is for a different investment. I just need to be secure. IE, if you want to buy a car, I'll loan you the cash with a note against your home.
I got interested in these as one of my friends has become independently wealthy using only 1st TD's as his investment. His dad taught him. He has been buying them for 25 years. Only once did he have to foreclose. He loaned $145K on a property. Guy missed 6 months of payments and my guy foreclosed. The value of the property was over $650K so he did ok.
The higher the risk, higher rate. Thats why I dont get 12% +. Mine have all been between 8.5-10%. I dont go over 60% loan to value. The downside is I get the collateral paying less than .60 cents on the dollar max. A long time ago, I was the guy who needed financing on projects (paying 12% in an 8% conv. market), now im too lazy to find and work the project so I loan the $$.

I dont trust the stock market to continue forever. Im concerned we could potentially have a large retreat of 25% or more within the next year or so. I am slowly selling my positions so I dont get caught holding the bag. Im gonna have $$ for stuff not 100% tied to the stock market.

Interested in all the ways different folks invest, some are better than others. I just want to learn more, make smart decisions, make $$. I think I see retirement on the horizon, if I take a 30/40/50% hit (like in 89/90, 06/07) I wont be able to recoup before retire.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-29-2018, 8:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfield View Post
"The markets really aren't that big a mystery, you just have to have an insider with access to the best trading software and best information working for you."
I agree, no individual can compete with the information the programmed traders utilize in a split second. One representative for a large investment company was saying how their program utilized the information from 200 small companies that supply parts to a large fortune 100 company.
I do feel the consensus on this thread is to have your money in stocks and if you have a 401k, you do! Their are a lot of people who do not match their employers contributions, but these are probably the same people that pay 24% interest on their credit cards and only pay off the interest every month!
Housing prices where I own a rental have increased easily 50% in the last three years. It's not surprising that it took 10 years for the prices to normalize after the great recession. Profits from the rental after upkeep are negligible, I would like to sell the property, now that the price has finally gone up and invest the money in stocks, but the Boss wants nothing to do with that(guess who does all the upkeep?)
I have a brother who has been killed in stocks over the decade( I know, how can you lose when the overall market is up 200%) and a friend that wants nothing to do with any stock because he had a broker which Lost him money, and the broker makes money!
I do Not come on here to give advise and I have No background in finance, the only thing I do is buy low and sell high, am 50% in stocks, 50% in cash and will be fully invested in stocks at the next correction.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-29-2018, 9:46 AM Reply   
how the hell does someone lose money on stocks in the last 8 years???

SPY is actually up 300% or 14.7% annually. How do these "professionals" still have a job?
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-29-2018, 12:03 PM Reply   
They have a job because they are not Fiduciary's. I was taken by a NY broker in about 1984. I lost like $1500 bucks, back then that was a lot of $$ for me. Then a broker explained to me that there are 3 parties in a transaction. The stock buyer, the broker and the company selling the stock. If any 2 parties in a transaction make money it is called a successful transaction. I understood that point and never used another stock broker*. I still get calls weekly from these guys. * So 3 yeas ago... I am home with a severe case of the flu. A broker calls and spins his story, there is always a story. These guys ALL go to the same training classes, use the same objection handlers and closes. I had the flu, I was weak, I bought $3000 worth of shares. A year later they were worth $1500...

How long do you guys think this bull run will last?
Anyone using dividend stocks or Non tax returns like state or fed bonds?
I need to reduce future tax.
I am doing the tax math at funding Roth over SEP (No 401K) Do you think you will be in a lower tax bracket in retirement?
Do you have an exit strategy?
Other investing ideas...?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-29-2018, 1:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
how the hell does someone lose money on stocks in the last 8 years?
He really didn't want to talk about it, but I remember a few years ago he was talking about "investing" in movie start-ups, well that's like throwing your money away!
I do not believe the stocks will go down in the next two years, everyone jumps in when the DOW drops 1000 pts driving the prices right back up! And I will be right in there buying more stocks. Could the Dow drop down to 18,000? Absolutely! It's happened before, but just last week we have had the longest bull market in history, or it has been the longest streak without a recession and I think the GDP will go negative a couple times for just one quarter before we have a recession.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-30-2018, 9:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
I bought $3000 worth of shares. A year later they were worth $1500...

How long do you guys think this bull run will last?
Anyone using dividend stocks or Non tax returns like state or fed bonds?
I need to reduce future tax.
I am doing the tax math at funding Roth over SEP (No 401K) Do you think you will be in a lower tax bracket in retirement?
Do you have an exit strategy?
Other investing ideas...?
Ugh. that's what makes bringing in new business so difficult, a-holes that sell crap like that.

bull run: earnings continue to be solid, so I think it's still got legs. couple risks on the horizon, with tariffs being the chief concern. I understand the reasoning behind them and why we need trade balance, but a few industries are sure to be affected. could start a wave of profit taking, but I don't think it will be a major (10%+) correction. IMO we just don't have the systemic risks that caused the last 2 major sell-offs. (dot-com and housing bubble)
Muni's: just saw a 5% GO bond selling at 3% yield to maturity this morning, so most muni's have been bid up so far that their effective rate is about 3%. this was a 2029 bond, callable in 2026. I haven't run the numbers on it, but there's some risk paying that much for a bond. if it's called early (unlikely as rates can't get lower), you got some purchase price out there you may not get back. Would say original issue is the only way to go, but they're going to be priced the same way - from a yield perspective. you won't have purchase premium out there, but it's still a 3% return. tax free makes it an effective 4.5'ish depending on bracket, but still not much yield.
tax bracket should be lower in retirement, but that's all relative. you looked at IUL policies for tax free growth?

Last edited by denverd1; 08-30-2018 at 9:45 AM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-06-2018, 11:11 AM Reply   
Markets are shifting it seems. tech getting hit the hardest, was about the only thing leading this market higher.

anyone taking profits? the MJ stocks are still holding on to big gains...
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-07-2018, 6:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
I agree, no individual can compete with the information the programmed traders utilize in a split second. One representative for a large investment company was saying how their program utilized the information from 200 small companies that supply parts to a large fortune 100 company.
Umm, I didn't post that BS, I was making fun of the person that did. Now I'm going to make fun of you for agreeing with that BS.

WTF is a "programmed trader"? You sound like the type of person that financial advisors salivate over, a sheep ready to be lead to slaughter. I can access any bit of information just as fast as any "programmed trader" can.

And LOL at losing money in the market over the last 10 years. Maybe if you put your whole stack in Theranos and MoviePass.

Do tell us more wise one.

Last edited by stanfield; 09-07-2018 at 6:26 AM. Reason: cause
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-07-2018, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfield View Post
Umm, I didn't post that BS, I was making fun of the person that did. Now I'm going to make fun of you for agreeing with that BS. WTF is a "programmed trader"? You sound like the type of person that financial advisors salivate over, a sheep ready to be lead to slaughter. I can access any bit of information just as fast as any "programmed trader" can.
And LOL at losing money in the market over the last 10 years. Maybe if you put your whole stack in Theranos and MoviePass.
Do tell us more wise one.
I will slow it down because your comprehension is so low, I do Not have a financial advisor, it is my friend and my brother that have been slaughtered, I am fine! Trade the market much? If you say you are a trader, you are full of BS! I am an investor, I buy when the market goes down and sell when it's at an all time high. To think that you can compete with the logarithm of a super computer is hilarious! But please, tell everybody here how you can trade faster than a nanosecond, Mr. financial guru!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-07-2018, 10:49 AM Reply   
y'all done?

let's get back on track. What's your biggest gainers in the last 5 years?

AAPL, AMZN, FB (sold it a few weeks ago) and now CGC. post your favorites
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-07-2018, 11:21 AM Reply   
I'm just a boring indexer. I just love when people spout off about how great their FA is when it's obvious they know little about what they even do. I'm just teasing.

I will occasionally fool with individual stocks. I bought a decent amount of LUV after their accident which has rebounded nicely. ~20% in 6 months or so. I also bought CHK after it started dipping below $3.50 all the way down to $2.50 or so. It's up ~15% in that same time frame, but it was so cheap I will likely hang on to it for a long while just to see what it does. I don't have the time to follow individual companies, it's easier to just own them all via an index for me. Slow and steady wins the race for me. I have started holding much more cash than normal in anticipation for the next downturn when everything goes on sale. If only we could predict when that would be!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-07-2018, 11:57 AM Reply   
indexing: easiest way to do it. Great trades on LUV and CHK.

I thought about picking up some LUV when that happened, but held off for some reason. IIRC all airlines were looking crappy at the time. Have traded LUV before, such a solid company. definitely best of the group.

CHK great buy. Not sure why the whole energy sector is getting beat down like it is. At $70 a barrel, they should all be kicking ass. Sold some HAL this week after riding it down for too long, but I don't see it turning around yet. SLB/HAL both been getting hammered, but XOM has bounced up.

I'll add some tech when get a pullback. XLK and AMZN
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-14-2018, 7:50 AM Reply   
Conserve your cash and stay liquid and watching for the next great buying opportunity but only after paying off all your debt including the house and buying a new Nautique for cash.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-17-2018, 1:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
Conserve your cash and stay liquid and watching for the next great buying opportunity but only after paying off all your debt including the house and buying a new Nautique for cash.
so you're holding 100% cash, waiting for the dip. how long you been waiting? feel like you missed gains in the last 10 years? could've made enough to pay cash for a new nautique
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-18-2018, 2:56 AM Reply   
I know this sounds strange, but if your state allows booth rental, buy a hair salon. Property with it as well. my wife and i are waiting for our preschooler to go to first grade and getting in. my friends have one and love it. they have 15 booths, 1k each per month. no employees, all 1099, no insurance, just payment on property. The hairdresser works their own hours, gets all the tips and money for service, the materials are all covered by the stylist and the only cost is water and electric.

They bank around 7k a month, have about 1k in expenses, write off everything they can, and will own the property in 10 years. It pays itself for life after its paid for, then sell the building when ready or the entire thing. they go to the business a few times a week and the employees love the income and control. Some are making 100k a year and have flexibility. I think anything that gives the employee a feeling of ownership is the key to success.

Other, storage, especially boat and RV in suburban area with HOA issues. Just get the property, the fence, lighting and pavement. as many spaces as you can.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-18-2018, 8:36 AM Reply   
doug, I like it
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-21-2018, 5:41 PM Reply   
Me too!
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-30-2018, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
No doubt a product of the public school system. What's more? You're now instructing in it.
Until you grasp the concept of cost vs. value in commodities you're doing a disservice to the audience continuing to give financial advice.
Sadly, it's been six month and you still haven't taken the time to educate yourself.
Sadly, it's been six years, and not a peep from Berry, He would not say Do Not buy gold when it hit 1800. I told Berry gold was going to drop like a rock, and would not go back up for a long time. He said I didn't know what I was talking about. Then, gold dropped like a rock and Berry doubled down and said I didn't know the difference between cost and value, and I needed to "educate" myself. Today gold was less than 1200, and I'm sure Barry will triple down on his spinning wheels rhetoric.

Anytime you can buy a property and have renters pay it off, why not?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-16-2018, 7:46 AM Reply   
how about some volatility?? anybody taking profits? got a couple things on my buy list, just not convinced the volatility is behind us

Last edited by denverd1; 10-16-2018 at 7:55 AM.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-22-2018, 12:29 PM Reply   
I sold Amazon when it got up to 2000, then bought more at 1900 and 1800, it never went down to 1700 or I would have bought more. I think at the beginning of the year people were already worried about the democrats taking the house, so, stocks will go down if democrats get in, but when earnings come out and people see the laws cannot be changed they will pop back up- I hope!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-23-2018, 8:26 AM Reply   
I'm thinking the new tax laws helped create a summer time rally and we're now feeling the hangover from the party. CAT earnings should not have the market down this much. hopefully earnings improve
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       10-23-2018, 8:37 AM Reply   
So when & what I should be jumping in on, being one that knows nothing about stocks? I have been doing peer 2 peer lending & that is surprisingly returning 8-12%.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-23-2018, 8:49 AM Reply   
IF you know nothing about the markets and how they work, keep it simple...just buy the $spy every week. and add on big dips. 5% or greater ( off all time high) ...always keep a bit of cash on hand to add every 5% down.

It's been talked about but would highly suggest understanding options. selling options is one of the lowest risks/easy money trades in the market. I'm always covered in my option trades; using various spreads/iron condors/covered calls/cash secured puts. worst case I own the underlying or cap my gains when they get called.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-23-2018, 8:55 AM Reply   
"how the hell does someone lose money on stocks in the last 8 years???"

net postive in my trading acct...but racked up abt $150k in losses in oil ( over abt 12-18 months) ....thats how , since you asked. if you were skewed towards anythgin oil...you prolly lost.

lessons learned and trade much more conservatively now.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-23-2018, 10:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
"how the hell does someone lose money on stocks in the last 8 years???"

net postive in my trading acct...but racked up abt $150k in losses in oil ( over abt 12-18 months) ....thats how , since you asked. if you were skewed towards anythgin oil...you prolly lost.

lessons learned and trade much more conservatively now.
Oil has been tough to trade the last few years. Got into HAL, but sold after a mediocre quarter sent it sharply downward

Love options. cash secured puts is one of fav strategies. Agree, buy the index until you build 10k. Start now identifying target companies to pick up when they go "on sale". keep some cash for buying cheap.

Last edited by denverd1; 10-23-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-25-2018, 2:42 PM Reply   
AMZN/GOOG miss, tomorrow will be spooky
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-26-2018, 7:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
AMZN/GOOG miss, tomorrow will be spooky
Didn't see that coming! All earnings for this year have been wiped out! Really thought the Dow was headed to 27k. Might as well go surfing, see you next year.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-15-2018, 7:47 AM Reply   
added more this morning to my $EPD position. Huge quarterly earnings. Tax deffered distributions; yielding almost 7%. best in class balance sheet. will be my largest holding heading into the inevitable recession.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       11-15-2018, 8:12 AM Reply   
I invested 6k into crypto currencies. My portfolio is now worth 3k. If there are any billionaires here I can help turn you into a millionaire using my strategies.....
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-20-2018, 11:40 AM Reply   
Crypto huh? so glad I avoided that mess...

NVDA
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-20-2018, 12:29 PM Reply   
PCG looks better since CA governor has spoken out against legal action on the company
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-20-2018, 12:34 PM Reply   
Damn, I knew not to trust this market. If only I had listened to my own thoughts back in Aug, down 800 points or so...
Whats next? More profit taking, leveling, shaking out and recovery? Thoughts?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-20-2018, 12:45 PM Reply   
sold most equity positions 10/2. limped into NVDA yesterday. but it's a broad based correction. if you HAD to be in something a few select utility/defensive companies are the only place to look. if it gets much worse, those won't be any good either. Nothing major on margin calls today, so I don't expect too many more 800 point days, but if the Fed moves again in Dec, all bets are off.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-20-2018, 2:23 PM Reply   
Thanks.
NVDA, nice little bump on a bad day, congrats.
Utility?, how about SCE or PGE in CA. Gotta have literally Billions in future fire payments.
Id bet Fed will bump rate next month.

I need to find something different. Ive even considered laddering 2.75% CDs.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-21-2018, 9:03 AM Reply   
I know nothing about the stock market but my boss doesn't offer any type of retirement and all I had was a IRA at our local credit union. So the wife and I decided to used EdwardJones and I dumped 10,000 into a mutual fund. 11,000 of my 3 years old's collage fund into a custodian account to build it up better for his collage. Plus 7,000 from my credit union IRA to the Edward Jones IRA. And haven't touched it for almost a year now

I'm pretty much lost 500$ in each account. Now I know the market goes up and down and I know it's not a lot of money. But I'm not a gambler so I can't stand losing hard earned money.
Old     (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-23-2018, 11:12 AM Reply   
1 Pot Stocks
2 CBD'S
3 Moose Wakeboards & Moose Wear...
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-26-2018, 1:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooSeMan View Post
1 Pot Stocks
2 CBD'S
3 Moose Wakeboards & Moose Wear...
Moose do Not buy any stocks, the marijuana stocks peaked in September, so your a little late to the "party" Again when Every sector was going up today Tilray, which is best in class, was falling!
On a side note, I am making money on GM, but just going to hang on to them for their dividend.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-27-2018, 12:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks.
NVDA, nice little bump on a bad day, congrats.
Utility?, how about SCE or PGE in CA. Gotta have literally Billions in future fire payments.
Id bet Fed will bump rate next month.

I need to find something different. Ive even considered laddering 2.75% CDs.
CA governor has stopped all legal action vs PGE. Still a few chapters left in that story, but they won't be grabbing pitchforks and torches any time soon. Nvmd, already said that.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-04-2018, 12:36 PM Reply   
XLU trying to stay positive for the day. SPY dropped below a couple key technical indicators, yield curve inverted, 50 and 100 day moving averages crossed. Markets closed tomorrow, Thursday could be volatile. Brexit talk is not helping things.

nobody i've talked to is picking up anything

Last edited by denverd1; 12-04-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-04-2018, 8:23 PM Reply   
It didn't take as long as I thought it would for Amazon to rebound, so I sold it at the open yesterday for a profit. Will stay out until the trade war mess is cleaned up, the Dow drops another thousand points, or we go negative on the GDP, then I will start buying again.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-05-2018, 6:12 AM Reply   
Goldman online savings acct is yielding 2.05%, hard to beat the rates and ease of money movement.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-05-2018, 12:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
Goldman online savings acct is yielding 2.05%, hard to beat the rates and ease of money movement.
what minimum amount? is there a holding period req'ment?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-05-2018, 12:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
what minimum amount? is there a holding period req'ment?
I use Synchrony. They are at 2.05% now with no minimum.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-05-2018, 2:32 PM Reply   
$1 min, no holding period that I know of. long story, but moved close to 100k in/out within 7 days of opening...got paid for the 7 days. the transfers aer quick...usually next day into my checking or brokerage account.

all online, so no physical branches.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-13-2018, 8:00 AM Reply   
Robinhood announced 3% checking and savings accounts. No experience with them, but I'll be waiting for reviews.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffkau.../#253b1a1b341a
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-13-2018, 3:28 PM Reply   
My buddy just called me about robinhood. Free Trades too. He had already had account there. Im opening one today.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-13-2018, 8:42 PM Reply   
One daughter got the Robinhood app today at noon. She’s 240,000 on the waiting list. Another daughter signed up 20 mins later and was 260,000 on the wait list. Me? I signed up 20 mins ago and I’m 485,000 on the wait list. Sheesh! Snooze you lose. I wonder how long it’ll take. Weeks? Months?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-17-2018, 6:55 PM Reply   
Yield curve is close to inverting. Baton the hatches for the coming recession
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-18-2018, 11:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Yield curve is close to inverting. Baton the hatches for the coming recession
Been inverted for about a week... agree more pain ahead

Currently has 2 inversions: 2M to 3M and 2Y to 3Y

Last edited by denverd1; 12-18-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-19-2018, 2:49 PM Reply   
Announced the rate hike and... BAM.
I didnt get my robinhood acct, dont quite understand all the recent news about them and if its FDIC insured as savings or as trading account....?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-19-2018, 4:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Announced the rate hike and... BAM.
I didnt get my robinhood acct, dont quite understand all the recent news about them and if its FDIC insured as savings or as trading account....?
FDIC will only apply to money market holdings. For trades, your on your own
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-19-2018, 9:56 PM Reply   
It's SIPC insured.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-20-2018, 10:29 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I think I get it now.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-21-2018, 5:43 PM Reply   
Just got my second round of questions emailed from them. They want to know it all. I started filling it out and then balked. I'm gonna wait until an actual human contacts me before giving my SS number etc. I never read any small print regarding them selling my info or not so I'm in no hurry to hand over my info.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       12-22-2018, 6:18 AM Reply   
So what is up with this Robinhood? They have been referred to the Securities & Exchange & these accounts are not SIPC insured, the product they offered is on hold & Robinhood is having to rebrand it as they are not checking accounts & there is most certainly risk putting your money there. Anyone?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-23-2018, 7:13 AM Reply   
so.... gold or bitcoin?
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-23-2018, 9:22 AM Reply   
If you wait a little bit longer, you'll be able to buy Bitcoin for $0.