Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       08-31-2012, 5:20 PM Reply   
One of my friends just sold a company for 600K and was asking me about investment options. I am not an investment guy so I figured I'd ask here since my investment adviser is only an expert at losing my money. My friend doesn't want to put this money in the market. It is just sitting in a checking account now earning next to nothing. Would it make sense to buy 4 houses for cash in Texas and then collect rent? Any other ideas? Buy a franchise?
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       08-31-2012, 9:16 PM Reply   
My advisor (he is very very good) has my stuff in the markets in resources, especially oil, and Canadian real estate.

Been doing ok. With 600K, I'd buy some good blue chips with high yields, or go real estate, as he's thinking. The markets really aren't that big a mystery, you just have to have an insider with access to the best trading software and best information working for you.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-31-2012, 10:45 PM Reply   
Real estate. Rentals are a nice idea, if the management company isnt eating your profits, or if you handle it on your own, your tenants are good.
Thats the way i would be leaning if i had 600k burning a hole in my pocket.
Old     (Banmbc)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-31-2012, 11:48 PM Reply   
Gold
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-01-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
have him look into 1st trust deeds. 9-10% and no more than 50% loan to value, short term 2-5 years. Pretty safe.
Old    sperbet            09-01-2012, 12:02 PM Reply   
There's really only one answer to this question...
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-01-2012, 12:05 PM Reply   
Mark Twain said it best "Buy land, they're not making it anymore."
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-01-2012, 5:15 PM Reply   
Say no to gold, and housing prices are going to take forever to recover so invest in stocks, you can even make money when the prices are falling!
Old     (Banmbc)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-02-2012, 12:03 AM Reply   
Just for the conversation why no to gold? Not in paper form or excel printout, hard currency buried in the bottom of my gooch catfish and payara filled lake (jk). My thoughts on real estate, I pay 309,000 for my house with 50g down payment before 2006 current assessment 220,000 and my buddy just bought equivelant house to mine on a short sale 180,000 and his place four years newer so my opinion on real estate is mark twain might of made money but it just stole from me. The stock market my dad was a butcher his whole life and invested for his retirement because that's what you suppose to do only to get screwed in the end because wall street sucks as bad as me paying for real estate I couldn't even get 150 for right now. Gold in the year 1999 and 2000 two hundred something a oz, today it's up 31.10 to $1685 a "o" so to me that's 1400 a share I've made in twelve years. Are there predictions that it will fall back to $200 a "o" or something? It's bounced up and down $100 or so since 2011 but i don't see it getting any cheaper by any means i know Im just dealing with grams and ounces but out of real estate and investments it's the only way I can stack any kind of profit. $600,000 in physical gold now will be something in ten years. $600,000 in facebook won't be worth the road kill I feed my killer guard fish in ten years. Real estate in ten years well screw the banks and over inflation, i ought to short sell this piece of property out of principle and pay cash on a single wide with a car port big enough so I don't have to fold my tower down. The only thing that isn't trying to rob me for my cash is that shiny gold bar smiling at me. Just my opinion and for conversation sake.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-04-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
Powerball.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-04-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
Ben, buy low and sell high. Gold does not always go up in value, if you bought gold in the recession in the year 1980, you would not make a dime for 25 years! Also no increase in gold from 1955-1967, went up 600% during the seventies when inflation was in the double digits. In the last 12 years we have not had the inflation we had in the seventies and gold went up 600%, it is way overvalued. Could it go down to $200? No, but it could easily drop down to $900.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-04-2012, 3:29 PM Reply   
Flip houses while u can
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       09-04-2012, 5:43 PM Reply   
I bought gold at $840 oz. and was actually thinking of selling it pretty soon. I'd have a hard time telling someone to buy gold right now.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-04-2012, 8:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Flip houses while u can
That's what I am doing. The bank owned stuff is stupid cheap right now and where I live there is currently a shortage of properties on the market.

I too would be afraid to buy gold right now as high as it is.
Old     (Banmbc)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-04-2012, 9:48 PM Reply   
Are you talking a 28 gram ounce? That's worth $1693 at the close of today. Your buddy with 600,000 if he bought two weeks ago would be up 35,000 after today. After reading up on what happened in 1980 and the recession that drove gold prices up it seems the 850 per ounce In 1980 with 30 years inflation would be around 4850 per oz today so we are nowhere near this market topping out from a historical view point. Gold has been this decades best performing major asset, and $1000 + prices are not that extreme and not gonna go any where especially since Asian investors are no longer poor like in the 70's and 80's. Also we are not coming off the standard that Nixon put in place where the govt. standardized gold prices at 35 a oz and made US citizens sell it to the govt, than lifting the standard and sold it back to the people at the inflated prices we seen during the recession thirty years ago which helped to increase the value of the American dollar. (crooked govt) alot of this is from half days worth of research cause my school work is boring and I really don't know much about any investments except high risk equals high profits and gold still has another wave of increases which could equal to over $8000 an oz before the bubble pops. Boeing I believe was Second highest with ten year increase from $27 to $71 with a high of $120. Also this is an election year which plays a part.
Old     (Banmbc)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-04-2012, 10:01 PM Reply   
I'm not trying to persuade anybody just find it interesting, wish I had that kind of loot to put into something. Actually start another business the US needs some kind of export and if we don't start doing something our future is going to be ruled by the Chinese who is going to flood the world market with their own versions of for example Boeing which will only weaken the dollar more
Old     (Stocky)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-07-2012, 3:39 PM Reply   
Rob,

At work, I see these scenarios all the time. There are numerous factors that come into play when it comes to the proper investment options. I sent you a PM with my contact info. I would be glad to discuss this further.

-Dave
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       09-07-2012, 3:51 PM Reply   
by Banco Santander SAN... 10% dividend and way beat down ... just because it is in Spain... most of its business is in the americas
Old     (Banmbc)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-09-2012, 4:13 PM Reply   
We started this conversation seven days ago at 1654 an O today 1738 an O so thats 60 g's in seven days off his 600 g investment.
Old     (cpboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-11-2012, 10:49 PM Reply   
Not the 600k the original poster is asking about, but does anyone have some good options/recommendations for a guy with an extra $15,000 or so sitting around not making any money?
Old     (Stocky)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-12-2012, 4:19 PM Reply   
Taylor, What's your risk tolerance/What's the future goal for this investment? There are a lot of things to take into consideration.
Old     (Banmbc)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-13-2012, 5:45 PM Reply   
1772 today that's another 60 g's in a week
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-13-2012, 9:58 PM Reply   
Ben, its just a matter of time before gold drops like a rock, I don't hear you going "all in" with your own money(I guess your smarter than that)
If you took an ounce of gold to a jeweler, you would probably get 200 bucks for it, hmmmm, but the same exact gold sold as a commodity is $1,800.00?
There's your business, melt gold down and sell it for 9 times what its actually worth!

Last edited by joeshmoe; 09-13-2012 at 9:59 PM. Reason: edit
Old     (Banmbc)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-13-2012, 10:26 PM Reply   
No I'm not doing anything but "paying"attention and some research. Its all luck same time I start looking into gold it's jumped $159 an oz. I've never had money to invest as I have kids and any spare money always gets sucked up by them. This is all purely for conversation and I'm not trying to brag or gloat but this has made a substantial amount of money in a very short time.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2012, 11:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Ben, its just a matter of time before gold drops like a rock, I don't hear you going "all in" with your own money(I guess your smarter than that
You misunderstand the VALUE of gold. It doesn't matter if it "drops like a rock" as it follows(fairly closely) the cost of goods/services. I've gone "all-in" as you say with Gold/Silver back in 2001 when gold was 230/ounce and silver was 4.20. If you understand commodity money you'll realize that while the cost increased significantly, the value is relatively flat only preserving my wealth. I'm fine with that.

Quote:
If you took an ounce of gold to a jeweler, you would probably get 200 bucks for it, hmmmm, but the same exact gold sold as a commodity is $1,800.00?
There's your business, melt gold down and sell it for 9 times what its actually worth!
That is not true at all. Most folks who invest in the hard currency use a coin/gold/silver dealer. I can take any gold/silver to any dealer and receive AT LEAST spot price( today is 1768.xx) and often times spot +5-10% depending on demand.

If you think the price of commodity is going to freefall you don't understand basic economics and probably shouldn't be giving advice.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2012, 11:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Ben, buy low and sell high. Gold does not always go up in value,
The value of gold doesn't really change, only its cost.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-14-2012, 12:13 AM Reply   
Buy low; sell high.

So, don't buy gold now. The potential downside is much greater than the potential upside.

With all the turmoil in the middle east, I fear things getting worse. This also feels like a great opportunity for Israel to make a move on Iran. If this happens, the market is going to crash for a few weeks/months. Unless this blows over, I see a great buying opportunity coming. Any stock that does well when the middle east is boiling over is a good choice.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-14-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
Barry, are you saying buy Gold? I don't think you should be giving financial advise if you are telling people to buy gold at $1,800 an ounce. If you bought gold in 1980, you had to wait 25 YEARS to get your money back, period! No government controls on the price at that time. Are we going into a second recession or depression? Who knows? If the economy continues to grow the gold value will continue to drop. So if you are betting that the economy is going to fail, buy gold, but I would not bet against the economy. if the economy takes off, which it could, the dow could easily reach 15,000. One thing that is for certain is that the dow is going to drop(and gold will go up for a short period) because people are going to get spooked or think we will go into a second recession. I doubt the dow will drop below 8,000, so buy the stocks when the price drops.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-14-2012, 4:36 PM Reply   
Joe,
Research cost vs. value and get back to me because until you fully understand the difference we're going to be spinning our wheels.

Quote:
So, don't buy gold now. The potential downside is much greater than the potential upside.
You were saying the same thing to me when gold was at 650.00. You actually mocked my suggestion to buy silver at 6.00.
What you're missing is that the value doesn't really change, only its cost in relation to fiat currency. Your buy low/sell high stock theory doesn't work with gold/silver.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-14-2012, 5:13 PM Reply   
> You were saying the same thing to me when gold was at 650.00. You actually mocked my suggestion to buy silver at 6.00.

I don't recall doing this but if I did I was wrong.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-19-2012, 3:09 PM Reply   
I just asked a simple question, buy gold now??? yes or no?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-20-2012, 6:59 AM Reply   
You could consider farm land in the Midwest. I was just at an auction were 80 acres irrigated went for $7400 per acre. It was insane.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-20-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
I just asked a simple question, buy gold now??? yes or no?
Alot of financial people swear that now is the time to buy gold.... with that being said gold is at an all time high. For me ill say NO. The potential gain is limited right now imo.

Probably a good lonnggg term investment I suppose.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-20-2012, 12:41 PM Reply   
wikipedia: "Investors generally buy gold as a hedge or harbor against economic, political, or social fiat currency crises (including investment market declines, burgeoning national debt, currency failure, inflation, war and social unrest)."

So, obviously, GOLD was a great investment going into this mess. And, it would tend to be a poor investment when we get out of this mess.

So, I think the investment choice depends on your desire for a long term vs short term investment and your outlook for the world economy.

BTW, here's a neat chart of the price of gold in absolute and inflation adjusted dollars (also from wikipedia)...
Attached Images

Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-20-2012, 2:33 PM Reply   
"Alot of financial people swear that now is the time to buy gold."
yah, if you are responsible for someones money you are going to hedge a part of their money with gold in case the economy collapses.
Very good graph GD, that was just a recession back in 1980 and a great recession was not enough to get the price of gold up to the inflated prices of 1980!
talk about a long turn investment, if you bought gold in 1980, you are still waiting to recoup your investment in inflated dollars!
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       09-20-2012, 2:40 PM Reply   
^^^ Exactly so buy it now and in 2050 you can be in the same situation as the guys in the 80s are now... or buy all the beat down stocks... as Warren Buffet would say buy when everyone else is selling and sell when everyone is buying.

Last edited by jhartt3; 09-20-2012 at 2:43 PM.
Old     (Banmbc)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-20-2012, 7:57 PM Reply   
Exactly that chart shows how gold in 1980 at $600 a O with inflation would be 2400, so today we are looking at $4800 (off the top of my head) for it to follow its trend.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-20-2012, 8:21 PM Reply   
Ben,
You're spinning your wheels. They don't understand and are not willing to spend a small amount of time learning for themselves, but would rather place their faith in "experts" while they slowly go broke year after year....
Old     (Banmbc)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-20-2012, 9:46 PM Reply   
Yea I know, I stick around cause I'm trying to understand what the hang up is everybody sound like my dad. Is it a generation thing? One last scenario the year 2000 one share of The decades second most profitable Boeing at $67.36 and today $69.85 so twelve years off one share I made $2.49. Maybe it's my lack of education about stocks and trading but from a GI's perspective sounds like there is some contradiction to buy low sell high and say no to gold. Isn't anybody worried that Boeing will drop to thirty bucks? Even though they predict next year it will raise to $113 ? We are talking "value" here
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-21-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
Ha, Ha, Ha, go broke, I don't think I could go broke if I tried, nice try, Do not buy gold at this time!
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-22-2012, 6:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
Ha, Ha, Ha, go broke, I don't think I could go broke if I tried, nice try, Do not buy gold at this time!
Sounds like your rich. Ill take one boat. Nothing ridiculous. Maybe like a 2002 Malibu or so. O ya, ill need a truck to.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-22-2012, 11:58 AM Reply   
Probably not. The rich do their best to hide it in most cases. :P
Old     (jordanleininger21)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-22-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
I would buy like a 2010-11 Mastercraft XStar and then a 2006-2008 Ford f250 and hire someone to invest into the stock market for me while I chill on the lake.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       09-22-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
Buy blue chip oil producers in Canada and North Seas (preferably Canada). When the middle east explodes (and it will) safe oil is gonna go through the roof.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-22-2012, 6:53 PM Reply   
"Probably not"
Hey B Waste, you are a genius! What did you do? Look at my profile? I get the summers off! June, July and August. How are you going to beat that? You cannot put a price on time, time spent with your family and kids. We have a very close family and enjoy our time together. With me being a teacher I am available to be with my family whenever they are not in school and I support them 100%. I didn't get into teaching to become rich, but I certainly am not going to go broke! B Waste is wishing I will go broke because I disagree with his stupid statement to buy gold at this time.
Isn't it obvious that the place to be the last three years is the stock market? If you asked me three years ago, I said put your money into the market because the market is going to bounce back way before housing does. It probably won't increase another 80% in the next 3 yrs but at one point it will drop, so make sure you buy your stock with a stop loss.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-24-2012, 10:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banmbc View Post
Exactly that chart shows how gold in 1980 at $600 a O with inflation would be 2400, so today we are looking at $4800 (off the top of my head) for it to follow its trend.
4800? What kind of math are you doing?

If you take away the short lived rise to 2466 in 1980, you see that gold peaked at 1900 or so (in today's dollars) which is exactly where it peaked in 2011. So, if you believe the past will predict the future, you could see a lot of downside in gold.

You may be late to the game if you pick gold now. Your downside potial is great while your upside potential is modest. While I kick myself for not buying gold when I knew this mess was coming, I will choose to stay away from gold now.

My biggest fear investing now is Israel/Iran. If/when this explodes, there will be a massive short term drop in the market. A huge buying opportunity. Ideally, one would be in middle-east-turmoil safe position (gold/cash/bonds/safe-oil) before the war and move to middle-east-turmoil recovery postion after the war.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-01-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
Stock market is not the place to be, buying individual stocks is risky business right now. 80 million baby boomers are closing in on retirement and will be turning their portfolios to income to live on in retirement. Mark my words you will see a huge decline in the DOW and S&P in the not so distant future. I have my money in managed accounts. Professional money managers that do active daily management. For 600K he can do some REIT's or Delaware Statutory Trust that yield around 6-7% cash on cash annually. The 1st Trust deeds can be good, but for someone who has to ask how to do it, it probably isn't the right thing.

Last edited by steezyshots; 10-01-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-01-2012, 10:59 AM Reply   
My managed accounts are at about 7.5% for the year BTW.
Old     (Stocky)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-02-2012, 9:26 PM Reply   
Riley, same here but I'm actually on the other side of the transaction. I think I remember you saying your wife is in the financial services industry??? I 100% believe that an active managed approach is the way to go in today's market. It's hard for me to see why most people wouldn't want to leave this work to a professional (which they should have a great personal relationship with).

Personally, I've locked in most of my clients' gains anywhere from 7-15% for the year, and have switched over to a more conservative model (80/20 Debt/Equity) just until I see how the quarter following the election plays out. There are many places to be other than the stock market itself.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-02-2012, 9:42 PM Reply   
David, what do you mean by "Debt"?
Old     (Stocky)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-02-2012, 9:54 PM Reply   
GD, I was referring to the bond market or issued debt. This past year Ive been using a certain bond fund which killed it @ 14.85% YTD.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-04-2012, 5:35 PM Reply   
As an update... money is going to a private equity investment firm (the same one that bought his company). No less than 8% return for the next 5 years but when the company grows and they sell the company in 5 years there could be 100-200% return on the money. I don't know many more details.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-05-2012, 9:19 AM Reply   
David, my wife is a partner in an accounting firm, and I am in financial services. Studying for my 63 right now. Ugggg we are a OSJ for our Broker Dealer and all of our money is in Active Management. We have ours in a conservative account right now that is like I said before around 7.5% for the year. I have some clients in a more aggressive account that is around 15%. The reason I keep my own money in the conservative account is because in 2001-2002 they made 5 when the market crashed and in 08 when the market went down 40+% they made 1.5%. The more aggressive accounts lost money. Not as much as the market but slow and steady will always beat loosing some and trying to regain big. Also have about 40% of my savings in Annuities with income riders. Based on my age and how much i put in with the guaranteed interest my income when I trigger it at 65 will be 20,000 a month guaranteed until the day i die. I know for a fact $20,000 a month when i am 65 will be just a drop in the bucket, but I also know most people my age have never thought about what they will need to live month to month when they hit 65.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-05-2012, 9:50 AM Reply   
This thread makes me feel very poor.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-05-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
This is how I explain managed accounts to my clients. It may help people on here see the benefits. If you are working with a stock broker to buy and sell stocks you really are just gambling with your future. Stock brokers may tell you that they do all this research to find the good picks, but in reality 99% of their time is devoted to finding new clients not research.

Think of yourself as the owner of a basketball team and you have hired me as the coach. I find the players (management firms) we communicate on an ongoing basis to hire and fire the players to make sure your goals are met.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-05-2012, 10:22 AM Reply   
If anyone wants some info on the baby boomer stock market crash that is looming check out "The Crash Ahead" by Harry Dent. I think that's the name of the book. I read too much these days and my memory is not what it used to be.

The book really lays out why the market will crash, but the jyst of it is that 80 million boomers will be pulling a huge portion of their assets out of the stock market to live on during retirement and with my generation (the kids of the boomers) most of us have very little in the market so the crash is coming.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-07-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
not sure what direction this thread has taken (didnt read through all of it)

That amount of money could be real dangerous for someone who doesn't have financial literacy (not saying your friend doesn't or that I have a whole lot myself, just a general statement). With that sort of cash, he could qualify to be an accredited investor and play where the big boys do. I am a pretty big follower of the "rich dad" series of books. With that being said, if he is not already incorporated, he definitely should be. Have him check out some of the books by Robert Kiyosaki would be my recommendation!
Old     (Stocky)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-09-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
Riley, you're right on point in my book. Are you located in Sacramento as well? I feel your studying pain....I just got done with S7 and S66 about a year ago and I havent used a single drop of that learning material yet!
Old     (Stocky)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-09-2012, 12:49 PM Reply   
Rob, So your buddy is GUARANTEED no less than 8%??? Im curious to how that comes about.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-17-2013, 10:08 AM Reply   
Now is the time to buy property, I know of a property in which the owners will sell for $100,000 This property makes $1,400.00 a month right now and is in a thriving community! This property is not listed, I just know the owner will sell.
You could even live in one unit and the other two units will PAY for everything! This is a no brainer
The recession has pummeled property values and the appraised values are at an all time low!
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...iw=998&bih=496

Riley said, "Stock market is not the place to be, buying individual stocks is risky business right now."
so, the not so distant future was more than six months? The government threatens cuts, and the stock market goes up! companies making record profits.

Gold keeps going down with No end in site, how are the people doing that took Ben and Berrys Waste advice and Bought at 1800?(not that any people on this forum bought any)

gold has been struggling and may continue to do so for some time. Do not buy Gold!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-17-2013, 10:36 AM Reply   
Poor guy...
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-17-2013, 12:14 PM Reply   
No, but anyone that bought gold at 1800 is, hahahahaha
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-17-2013, 4:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
Rob, So your buddy is GUARANTEED no less than 8%??? Im curious to how that comes about.
I'm also curious how a private investment firm can guarantee performance?

I've been licensed for nearly 10 years and have made a living on striving for balance with my client's assets. A good mix of stocks/bonds and not being overly aggressive allows you to participate in market cycles, stays ahead of inflation and at the same time, sleep at night. I use mutual funds and have a favorite fund family where 12 of their 15 equity funds average over 8% over the past ten years. Balance and investing to the situation, fundamental investing at its finest.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-17-2013, 5:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
No, but anyone that bought gold at 1800 is, hahahahaha
No doubt a product of the public school system. What's more? You're now instructing in it.

Until you grasp the concept of cost vs. value in commodities you're doing a disservice to the audience continuing to give financial advice.
Sadly, it's been six month and you still haven't taken the time to educate yourself.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-17-2013, 6:31 PM Reply   
Barry don't Waste your time trying to be condescending towards me, buying gold at 1800 was just plain Stupid. Now I know of a property that will pay for itself that has an awesome VALUE, it would pay for itself if you could get a loan and the Cost of the property is only going to go up in the future. The property values have taken a beating and so appraisers are saying the costs are very low, this is a once in a lifetime cost for this property. Do Not say Buy Gold at this time, this is not the time to buy gold or to get in the stock market, this is a time to buy property because it has bottomed out, some market places have already started to appreciate. My example is a concrete example how someone can add $200,000 to their portfolio over a 20 year period just by buying NOW! Barry, find a property better than this and tell the wakeboarding community or STFU!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-17-2013, 8:37 PM Reply   
You're too smart, Jo.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-18-2013, 12:43 AM Reply   
Gold is at 1600 or so now and showing semi flat oscillation...
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-18-2013, 12:57 AM Reply   
The last 6 months since the start of this thread for gold...
Attached Images

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
That is gold's COST.
Probably the least important part of the equation.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2013, 8:22 AM Reply   
As I said 6 months ago:
Research cost vs. value and get back to me because until you fully understand the difference we're going to be spinning our wheels.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-15-2013, 7:54 AM Reply   
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100640665
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1341...ce=google_news
http://www.reuters.com/article/comme...93E0FI20130415
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-15-2013, 11:29 AM Reply   
Barry Waste said " If you think the price of commodity is going to freefall you don't understand basic economics and probably shouldn't be giving advice."

I sure didn't see this coming!
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-16-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
I'd buy a self storage facility. Lots of passive income.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-16-2013, 9:49 AM Reply   
Barry can you fill us in on this cost vs. value thing? As opposed to other commodities like wheat and oil, what's the *inherent* value of gold?

Here in Nevada mining is a big deal and the gold cos can make money at 1200 an ounce but not at 800. This isn't old timey prospector mining, this is crushing up chit tons of earth to remove trace trace trace gold.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-16-2013, 11:39 AM Reply   
Self Storage properties are NOT passive real estate. Some properties are, but certainly not self storage.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-16-2013, 11:55 AM Reply   
Where are all of the pro-gold guys now? I have heard economists proclaiming for months that gold was way overpriced.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-16-2013, 2:36 PM Reply   
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-dot-heres-why
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-16-2013, 4:16 PM Reply   
Doesn't look good for gold, here are some comments from yesterday from people who don't understand basic economics.

drop like a rock
freefall
collapse of gold
gold prices dive
gold investors throw in the towel
Gold had its biggest one-day drop since 1983 on Monday as a selling frenzy that began last week picked up speed.
plummeting prices
the mass flight out of gold
Dominic Schnider, an analyst at UBS Wealth Management, said it might not have been the eurozone that triggered the mass flight out of gold
the future of gold seems bleak
Gold Crushed in Historic Rout
Investors have been dumping gold for the past three weeks
Let’s All Enjoy the Collapse of Gold Prices Together
The slide in gold prices became a rout on Monday
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-19-2013, 2:34 PM Reply   
Why is this a shock? Gold has never been anything but a hedge against inflation. Those using it in this manner for the entire year are still going to end up ahead. Whats the fuss?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-19-2013, 7:20 PM Reply   
Nobody is shocked, there were a few Gold backers though,
Ben stated on 9/9/12, "We started this conversation seven days ago at 1654 an O today 1738 an O so thats 60 g's in seven days off his 600 g investment"
Ben, haven't seen any more of your calculation, what happened?
I think Barry went back to school?