Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       07-13-2011, 5:22 PM Reply   
http://www.wbtv.com/story/15075752/e...e-wylie-marina

hope everyone comes out of this ok....
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-13-2011, 5:46 PM Reply   
Bummer. Hope they all survive with little more than a tough lesson.

We rode with some folks in Alabama a couple weeks ago. One of the guys had an XTI, which is very similar to my Vride. At some point I ended up as the driver & turned the blower on before I started the engine. The thing sounds like it had gravel in it. The owner looked at me like "WTH are you doin turnin that on"? I suggested he might want to replace it & told him they were pretty cheap & easy to replace. He's couldn't believe I suggested it & insisted these newer boats don't need them like an older boat does. Hard to believe, but with that outlook he might be next.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-13-2011, 6:27 PM Reply   
Ugh. I use mine but it sounds like gravel. I'll replace it this weekend.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       07-13-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
Yeah, i replaced mine last year....i think they are pretty cheaply made and don't seem to last that long. I usually turn mine on while getting boat ready at ramp staging area so by the time i back in it's been running for 5-10 minutes. I also always open the engine hatch before starting the first time.
I am not as good at remembering to run it everytime I re-start once we are on the water. I probably need to be better with that.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-13-2011, 7:19 PM Reply   
The new Malibus run the blower automatically. Perfect for me because I often forget.
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-13-2011, 8:41 PM Reply   
I use that launch/dock at least twice a week. Scary situation in Tega Cay today...
Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       07-13-2011, 11:38 PM Reply   
Mine sounds like gravel too. I didn't know that was common.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-13-2011, 11:49 PM Reply   
It's common that the bearings in them go out & they need to be replaced occasionally. Most any boat / marine shop sells them for well under $50.

I bet I end up running mine 1/2 the time we're out on the boat. The thing is so quiet, the only person who can tell it's running is the guy standing on the swimstep.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-14-2011, 6:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
The new Malibus run the blower automatically. Perfect for me because I often forget.
How does it know that you're going to be starting it in 4 minutes?
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
I had a new guy on on my boat last year who likes to know how everything works but is not the most technical person. After I spent 10 minutes explaining to him about the importance of the blower he said "So it's the anti-blowing up blower?" Instant new name on the boat with no more explanation needed for anyone else.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-14-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
JRod, does the new BU just run the blower all the time? And, does it lock you out from starting until it has been running for a while?
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       07-14-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
maybe Jrod's boat came with a time machine to turn the blower on.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-14-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
thats a great reminder, however, did anyone notice this story next to the blower one?

http://www.wbtv.com/story/15071833/m...rbage-disposal
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-14-2011, 12:49 PM Reply   
Coincidentally my blower quit working after I had been married for 1 year.

I found running it for a few minutes helps keep the engine temps down after shutdown as well as eliminating the vapor lock some Malibu owners were having in their fuel lines.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-14-2011, 4:21 PM Reply   
Tim, that's why the wedding ring is shaped like a zero
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-14-2011, 10:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I really like this feature as well, and how it automatically shuts off the blower after two minutes. Both of these I always forget to do! great safety feature, props to Malibu on this one!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-14-2011, 10:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
JRod, does the new BU just run the blower all the time? And, does it lock you out from starting until it has been running for a while?
When you enter the start code on the MTC (Malibu touch), it will automatically turn on the blower for two minutes, then shut it off. There is no time delay needed to fire motor once the code is entered.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-15-2011, 4:48 AM Reply   
I will start by saying I always run my blower, and rarely forget.

But has an accident like this ever happened on a fuel injected boat?
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-15-2011, 5:27 AM Reply   
The answer is yes. There can be gas vapors that build up in the engine compartment. Turn on the engine, cause a spark, and your day is over. I always run the blower. One thing I also try to do is when we are day camped, after running the boat, I lift the engine compartment cover so that it can cool and all vapors can escape.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-15-2011, 6:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
But has an accident like this ever happened on a fuel injected boat?
I can't cite an actual incident but I'm sure it has happened. There are plenty of electrical sources that could ignite vapors if worn out of spec, slightly defective, or replaced with non- marine components (Starter, alternator, etc.).
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-15-2011, 7:14 PM Reply   
2010 and newer tiges run the blower automaticly as well. When you turn the key on it runs on a timer but does not keep you from strating the boat.
Old     (peettee79)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-17-2011, 6:50 AM Reply   
Mine has never worked, from new. I just open the engine compartment.
Prob should fix it.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-17-2011, 6:56 AM Reply   
Yeah doesn't the while "blower on a timer" thing just provide a false sense of security? If the purpose of the blower is to clear fumes before starting, how does it help to have the blower on a timer after you key up? It's running the blower before you turn the key that's important...
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-17-2011, 2:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
how does it help to have the blower on a timer after you key up?
Well, you're supposed to run it when at idle/no wake speeds too when there may not be enough air flow through the bilge intake/exhaust to allow vapors to escape. The timer doesn't help much with that either. I think a more useful automatic feature would be for the blower to automatically turn on and stay on below say 1,800 RPM. You'd still have to remember the pre-start blow but I'd prefer that to some sort of ignition lockout until the bilge has been sufficiently blown.

When my blower is in proper working condition I generally turn it on when prepping the boat prior to launching and leave it on pretty much constantly until I remove it from the water. I will turn it on if we opt to sit for a while with the engine off. It doesn't really hurt anything to run it constantly and if it's in good condition you can't hear it over the engine even at idle.

At the moment my blower sounds like it's full of rocks because of a ballast bag mishap a few weeks ago. Since it's so loud I've been running it sparingly. The blower was submerged and I suppose developed rust in the motor when it sat up. I have a new one ($22.99 @ Academy) that I will be swapping in before my next outing.
Old     (schuey)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-17-2011, 4:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by peettee79 View Post
Mine has never worked, from new. I just open the engine compartment.
Prob should fix it.
The reason boats have blowers and cars/other vehicles don't is because petrol is heavier than air. In a car any fumes that build up drop out of the engine compartment onto the road beneath and are blown away. In a boat the hull is obviously designed so this can't happen, therefore the petrol fumes build up at the bottom of the hull/engine compartment and a spark can ignite them.

Opening the engine compartment isn't going to do you much good unless your lid is at the bottom of the engine compartment where the petrol fumes build up under the air, which it isn't on wakeboats.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-17-2011, 5:37 PM Reply   
I dont know about that ^^^^^^^I do think opening the lid to the engine can/does help. not saying its a full proof way to prevent an accident. 2 things it will do is let air flow wich will cut down on fumes also it will allow you to get a wiff of anything bad going on in there. So I would say opening the eng. hatch is ALWAYS a good thing.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2011, 9:45 AM Reply   
My fuel injected boat was spraying a mist of fuel from an o-ring at a mis-installed fitting. I don't know why I did not catch on fire. Whats the big deal on leaving the blower running.