Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-03-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
Hey guys

I need carpet in a hurry. I got a kid due in two weeks and i just finished my basement. I was wondering if anyone has ordered carpet thru Empire Direct. My wife and I have someone coming out this saturday. All the other carpet places around us are about three weeks out.

Just wondering what your experiences with Empire were and how their prices compared.

Thanks
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-03-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
Empire SUCKS!! Well marketed. But they sent a dirt bag to my home and quoted me a price that was double everyone else. When you say "hell no," they call their manager and request a 50% discount, which brings them down to normal pricing.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-03-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Is the three weeks out due to their workload or the carpet you are selecting?

If you can get the carpet, look on craigslists for guys who install and will moonlight on the side...
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-03-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
Run as far away from Empire as you can!!!!

In a nutshell, this is what they do.....

A guy will come to your house, measure, show you samples, and then pressure you into having it installed the next day. Even if you accept their deal, but wish to schedule installation a week or two down the road they will still pressure you into doing it the next day.... there is a reason they want to install it right away.

The reason is because their total price is about 2-3 times what you will pay at most any other place!!!!

When we had them come out they wanted over $6k to carpet 1600 sqft with their cheapest carpet. Without looking very hard we found a much nicer, higher end carpet elsewhere for $4k installed. They wanted $4k to install 300 sqft of laminate in my game room. For comparison sake, tomorrow I am having the same amount of real hardwood floor installed for $2979. Hmmm.... real hardwood for $3k or fake laminate for $4k????

Run Forrest, run!!!!
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-03-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys.

When i say three weeks out i mean two weeks to get the carpet to the installers then its a matter of gettting a time scheduled to install it.

We check with our local home depot and found something we liked and i also went to a local carpet store and saw what they got. They are faster but their prices are way over my budget. HD's prices are lower but their time is longer so i think we just have to make a decision.

I will still have the empire peeps come out but from what you all are saying just have them come over and leave when they are done.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-03-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
Things do seem to be backed up at tthe flooring places this time around. I think it's because February 15th was the cutoff for doing no interest, no payment financing. On February 16th a new law went in effect that prohibits no payment financing. I think this caused a spike in business and everyone was rushing to take advantage of no payment financing before the new law went into effect. In addition, Home Depot and Lowes have both been running $97 carpet installation specials.

I've been waiting 2 1/2 weeks to have my hardwoods installed. They are finally coming out tomorrow!!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-03-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
I can see why they want it next day. Here's their price guarantee...

" In order to be eligible for the guarantee, you must present a written price estimate, or offer, on a competitor’s official letterhead no later than one business day prior to the installation date of the product by Empire.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       03-14-2019, 7:18 AM Reply   
Empire did a great job on our basement