Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-18-2006, 9:50 PM Reply   
does anyone know of any places with decent wakeboard boats in central or south america. Preferably with good surf nearby. I'm looking into putting a trip together.
thanks
mike schwenne
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-18-2006, 9:51 PM Reply   
oh, besides mexico.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-18-2006, 9:52 PM Reply   
costa rica
chile

if you bring me, i'll hook up pulls and stuff in chile!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-18-2006, 10:14 PM Reply   
Uhhh.... don't you mean Frankie can hook him up in Chile
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-18-2006, 10:21 PM Reply   
no, she can tell me who/where to call, but it'd be me hookin' it up. so, I'LL HOOK UP the pulls!

don't ruin it for me phantom!
Old     (lume1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-19-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
URUGUAY!!! Not really good surf...no good boats either but a couple of people wakeaholic(we suck but...whatever) and the best of all...nobody is around.

Upload
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-19-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
There is a guy on wakeworld here that rides in Guyaquil, Ecuador, and there is surfing on the coast. I went to Ecuador last summer and had a blast.

Joe, where in Chile? I am going there in December.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-19-2006, 7:20 AM Reply   
Well Im not that guy Tim is talking about, but I am from Guayaquil, Ecuador. Very good surf in nearby beaches (40 mins), we have an Air nautique we can hook you up with. No one around to make waves also. great weather year round, especially during this time of year. If you need more info, just PM me, Id gladly help you out. When is this trip for?
Old     (munchies)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-19-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
i know in argentinia a really nice spot fede bruland is running the spot he has a nautique 226, sick boat! he is a good rider too and know how to drive etc. i don't know about surf there but i partys should be good and the girls too..
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-19-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
joe,

i am going to costa rica on my honeymoon in 2.5 weeks. any advice or connections down there? any info would be great. maybe i should email you instead of hijacking this thread
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       10-19-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
The Puntarenas
area of Costa Rica would be ideal.

The Surf:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.papagsurf.com/forecast/images/lowtide.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.papagsurf.com/forecast/index.cfm&h=182&w=251&sz=10&hl=en&start=135&tbnid= U0sUbIL4uL5-YM:&tbnh=80&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3DPuntarenas%2BCosta%2BRica%26start%3D1 20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa %3DN

I could not find any info on the Aquaski Adventure, that used to be located there. It was a private ski lake with some decent boats. I am sure the boats are still there, just don't know who operates them. Lake Arenal is said to have a couple boats on it as well (again I have no contact info) but that lake is better known for windsurfing and kiteboarding as it is very big and usually quite blown out. so might not be worth the effort to board, but the views of the volcano (active) would make the trip up there worth ist all the same It is a ways inland and a few hours north of San Jose.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-20-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
riding spot 1
Upload
riding spot 2
Upload
the boat
Upload

weather and water always warm if not hot.

I dont surf, but the surf is good around here, about 2 years ago the World surfing championship took place in our beaches. Plus in my country in 4 days you could go to the jungle, the mountains, the beach and the island (galapagos). You should all plan a trip to come here!

Tim, what part in Ecuador did you visit?
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-20-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
oops! sorry for the big pics!!!
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-20-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
Hey Chris, That's a nice boat. How much do you ride down there? What are gas price's like, and places to stay.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-20-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
Cris,

I spent most of my time in Quito, but also went to Machacha, Banos, and climbed a mountain called Ruminahui. One of my good friends has a lot of family in Quito. He was living there for a year, after graduation, so I stayed with them.

I would definately go to Ecuador again, I had such a wonderful time, and there is plenty that I didn't see, such as the coast and the jungle.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-20-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
Gordie,
we try to ride as much as we can... the weather is always good, so thats almost never an obstacle (except when it rains but thats not too much) The best gas you can get here is $2.08 a gallon or something like that and for places to stay you can find a wide range of prices... you could stay at a Hilton and pay a lot per night or stay at a smaller hotel or a hostel and pay very little...
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-20-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
heh mike this is tyler from camp,the guy who has the tall dad and imet u at the boat show and the sale at cope and mcphetres.Just wanted to say hi and thanks for that great week at camp. Ill see u next year.
-Tyler
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-20-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
Cris, that looks awesome. I want to go to Ecuador.

Everyone, Mike is not answering because Coach Ranch/Ranger took the entire crew on one of his death marches through the Sierra's. Pray he brings them back safely.
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-20-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
Not sure about wakeboarding in Costa Rica. I'm pretty sure there are some places. but as far as surf goes, down in the Osa Peninsula there is some amazing surf in the Cabo Matapolo area. i can give you some places if u need. i've been there 3 times.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-20-2006, 4:39 PM Reply   
Big Heavy,

what? I dont undersand what happened... what is Coach Ranch/Ranger??
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-20-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
Mike Schwenne is the owner/head coach of West Coast Camps in California. Ryan aka Ranger aka Ranch is one of the coaches and he is leading the other coaches on a hiking trip into the woods. Ryan is crazy and his hiking trips are usually 20-30 mile jaunts. I'm sure all will survive and make it down to Ecuador soon.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-20-2006, 8:45 PM Reply   
oohhhh!!!!!! I had no idea what you were talking about!
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-20-2006, 9:24 PM Reply   
also heres pics of the water in costa rica. i never took any of the surf (because i was surfing). i never saw any really nice boats while there. the town nearest to where we stayed was pretty poor, but im sure you could get a pull from someone. also, you cant beat the scenery and water/air temps. 83 degrees water temps year round....

Upload

it was windy that day, but on the others and in the morning it was butter

(Message edited by marshk344 on October 20, 2006)
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-20-2006, 9:49 PM Reply   
Cris...I talked to you last year when you went to camp in Florida. Mike is the coach I told you about whose camp I was going to again and recommended that you check out his camp some summer. Looks like you have an awesome riding spot.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-21-2006, 6:42 AM Reply   
Mike, I would agree with Troy about Costa Rica, the surf is world class. There has been a school down there for years called Aqua Ski, it has moved around several locations over the years. Originally featured in Skurf's Up when Thomas, Gator and Brannon Meek shot down there. I was back down a few years later, and it had moved to Lake Arenal, which is one of the sickest lakes I've ever seen (crystal clear, green-blue lake surrounded by rainforest at the base of an active volcano). They had sponsorship through MasterCraft and Hyperlite at the time, but it didn't look like they were doing much business. (Gas is crazy expensive there, and there are too many other competing things to do). Anyway, I heard a year or two ago that Aqua Ski had moved again away from Arenal, can't recall where, and now it seems their website is inactive. Maybe the advent of kiteboarding finally killed off the wakeboarding down there. I know they had at least two MCs (PS 205s, I believe), and a full rack of all HL gear, but this was at least 5 years ago.

You might contact HL and see if anybody there knows or remembers anything about it, maybe there is still somebody down there running the boats that would want to get a trip going with you for some filming or just for fun. Costa Rica is the closest to paradise I have ever been, one of my favorite places in the world. Different surf locations work at different times of the year, but there is almost always something epic going on somewhere, and the people/culture have an amazing vibe. Good luck.
-Jimmy Muir

And if it should pan out, I'll gladly give you some travel guidance, I've been down there 5 times, and my brother spent last summer down there. There are tons of reputable surf guide outfits, and very minimal harsh vibe among the locals. The motto down there is "Pura Vida!" (pure life!)

(Message edited by dococ on October 21, 2006)
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-26-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
SoCal, yeah I remember you told me about that... I hope I can make it to the west coast next year! And you can come down and visit me anytime...
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-26-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
Mike, you need to contact Jessum Videl. He has a place and boat. Call me if you need his number.

(Message edited by solo on October 26, 2006)
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-26-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
doc octagon - i started another post in the "non wakeboard discussion". i dont want to hijack this thread, but any advice is appreciated. i would love to wakeboard on our honeymoon coming up in 10 days if possible. i might just ask around when i get down there if i cant find a way through wakeworld.

i wish i knew how to surf. is there surfing lessons around there?

(Message edited by mossy44 on October 26, 2006)
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-06-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
Hi Guys,
Thanks so much for all of you input. Yeah, I was first away climbing with a couple of fellow coaches...we almost died and camp almost ended
I'm working with Rusty Clothing/surfboards on doing a trip to south america in the spring. I'm working with our team manager right now on cost. He's going to talk to a couple of their surfers to see if they'd be down to do a joint trip.
AL Gard.. I need your phone number. Those of you that posted with locations(thanks a ton, and I'll be contacting you as we start to plan)

Mike schwenne
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-10-2006, 3:41 AM Reply   
mike, call me if you want jesson vedel's real name and number.
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-15-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
jesson's not in south america as far as I know
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-16-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
I just got back from riding in Colombia... it was AMAZING!!!!!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-17-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
That looks like a nice trip! What part of Colombia did you go to? You should have traveled a little farther south and come to Ecuador!
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-17-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
We went to a city called Giradot... it's about 2 hours south west of Bogota. The family that had us down belonged to a resort there called El Penon which had a several private lakes for us to ride on. it was one of the best trips ever!