Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-15-2020, 1:27 PM Reply   
what do you guys have for portable bluetooth speakers? i've had ue megaboom and ue blast jbl flip and charge and all of them are ok but underwhelming in loudness. Thinking of the ion extreme 10" that costco had but reviews are mixed.. this is to go on my utv ranger sometimes and some backyard tunes and want loud with some decent bottom end and waterproof. Any suggestions?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-16-2020, 7:57 AM Reply   
How funny that you ask at this time. Well to tell the truth I’ve constantly been on the hunt for portable boom boxes. Check it out for yourself but make sure you wear headphones when you listen to YouTube reviews of the various Bluetooth boomboxs . I can recommend the JBL party box line. I can recommend the JBL party box line. Depending on what you’re looking to do JBL seems to have a boombox Depending on what you’re looking to do JBL seems to have a boombox for you.
Currently In my Gem Car I’m using the JBL extreme as a sound system and I love it. I’m waiting for my JBL party box 100 to show up. With all this coronavirus it’s been delayed a little bit. Check out the YouTube or that reviews lots of Bluetooth stuff called FlossyCarter.
Also check out a guy named Olafs gadgets. If it’s a Bluetooth stere device these guys have reviewed it and if you have a good set of headphones you can really hear the sound difference between the two devices they put head to head against each other. I have a pair of AirPods Pro’s and you can clearly hear the difference when they compare the various devices but over normal computer or iPhone audio you can’t tell the difference between a or B
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-16-2020, 8:01 AM Reply   
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Partybox-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-16-2020, 10:43 AM Reply   
that party box 100 is in the right price range, just not sure how loud it will get, looking forward to hearing from you. A lot of these review say they get really loud but none of them are even close to what i would call loud. I think the party line from jbl isn't weather resistant, right? was hoping to get something i can hose down as it will get dirty too. We need a wetsounds bluetooth speaker ha! Please report back when you get yours!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-16-2020, 3:46 PM Reply   
You said you were gonna use it in your UTV. Any reason your not considering a Wetsounds Stealth Bar? I had one in my Gem car and that thing was loud. Way louder then ones needs for a nice quiet electric car. I thought this thing would be perfect for a UTV that’s loud and your wearing a helmet. I bet it’s prefect.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-16-2020, 5:29 PM Reply   
yea the stealth bar is bad a$$ but its a bit of a one trick pony in that its gotta stay with that one utv. throughout the year i switch between 2 different ones (i use it to for farming) and also want something i can take off and use in other applications. watching flossy's review as we speak!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2020, 3:40 AM Reply   
Hey you ever thought of the Wetsounds coolers with the stealth sound bar integrated. Seems like you could
Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. But it sounds like it may be out of your Price Range
Attached Images

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-17-2020, 6:33 PM Reply   
yea its pretty bulky and most of the time the bed of my ranger is filled with shovels micro sprinklers and a ton of other stuff and my lab is on my passenger seat. although i do need to drink more water and this would help that! lol i guess it brings up a good idea though in that you could buy a stealth 6 build an enclosure and add a battery/charging port and be rockin! i'm sure the ws is loud but how is the low end on these? i've yet to hear one in person- seems like that partybox 100 has an advantage there but a different review said it was maybe 105 db at the most which doesn't seem all that loud... i should mention i have the ev ranger too so its pretty quiet but theres times i'm chainsawing or working away from it and would be nice to still be able to enjoy some music when i'm not it which i why i want it to get loud

Last edited by bass10after; 03-17-2020 at 6:41 PM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-18-2020, 7:49 AM Reply   
The Westsounds is a Real Deal piece of off-road equipment electronics. It was designed to get sound to your ears while wearing a helmet and having the noise of that motor blasting away at 50 mph. It’s in my opinion it made to be run with a subwoofer. Or in my opinion needs a sub to make it sound complete.
The JBL is a household piece of equipment made to provide full sound in a controlled environment example Rooms or poolside . It’s not meant to be bounced around In the bed of your UTV with dust and the raw elements. That doesn’t mean it can’t work for you it just means your comparing apples & oranges. I use my JBL in my Gem car and it works Perfect for how I use it. Only reason I got the partybox (still not here) is because I think it’s gonna have a bit more bass.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-18-2020, 7:52 AM Reply   
P.S I did t know you had a Ranger EV. That’s cool. My Gem uses the same Electronics. Motor/Controller ect. I “HOT Rodded” my Gem car & now it go’s 60 New Motor & Controller & Charger and Big Lithium Battery.
Attached Images

Last edited by grant_west; 03-18-2020 at 7:54 AM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-18-2020, 7:56 AM Reply   
LOL, yes you can burn threw the power Big time,
Attached Images

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-18-2020, 11:43 AM Reply   
man i'd love to make this ev go faster than 24! whats it take to mod that? I may have messaged you or asked in another thread before about a lithium mod for it. We're pretty close, im near turlock.. One thing about the ranger is it really needs all that weight for being a work vehicle. I've pulled an almond sweeper burried in mud out with it and if it was any lighter wouldn't have done the job. It goes through the battery real quick at higher speeds but lasts me a solid 24hrs+ in long range mode. i've left my light bar on for hrs and didn't move the battery even a percent so you know that motor uses some juice! i'm leaning towards that party box because its more of an all in one solution, with low end... eager to get your feedback!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-21-2020, 10:35 AM Reply   
JBL arrived. The sound is Awesome. It has the most bass of all my Bluetooth stuff but that’s not saying much at this point. I give most of my stuff away. Gives me a excuses to Buy somthing new.
I have not used it in the Gem car yett but in the rooms I have played with in sound great. As far as Loudness. The Stealth is on another level it’s super loud Not even a comparison for the Party Box. But for overall sound Highs & Lows the Party Box wins. For $270 you can’t go wrong. The lights are a nice party trick. They can be changes up and turned off. It’s also got a Bass Boost button. And yes it makes a minor difference. I messed up and orders a 2nd one on Accident now am I gonna return it ???
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-21-2020, 11:29 AM Reply   
Pics
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-21-2020, 11:31 AM Reply   
Party Box 100
JBL Extreme 2
JBL Pulse
Attached Images

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-22-2020, 7:24 AM Reply   
thats a nice size, does it seem like you can hose it off if it were to get dirty- hard to tell but the "tweeters" look to be paper cone? i'm not thinking of submerging just a rinse if it were to get muddy/dirty
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-24-2020, 5:02 AM Reply   
“Does it seem like you can hose it off”
Bhru! It’s a inexpensive piece of electronics, made for indoor and (Light outdoor use) . Bouncing around in the back of your Ranger on the farm is not what it was made for and now you wanna Hose it off LOL LOL.

Either have a cover made for it or plan on just rocking it till the wheels fall off. Yee Haw !
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-09-2020, 5:46 PM Reply   
decided i want to just build my own portable speaker i can put in the ranger or plug in on the porch and let it go as long as needed... I have a 4 channel amp that will power two 6.5" md quart compression horn speakers and bridge the back channel for a 6.5" sub and 8" passive radiator and use wet rated components. possibly just an 8" sub but like the idea of sealed box 6.5" and the output of adding a passive radiator. Since you're pretty much an expert at battery power and especially lithium conversions and im pretty lost on how to approach this its not funny I'm looking for some help in that dept... The amp is 12v but as we know can go up into the 14v range. its an nvx vad4. 75w rms to the highs, 200w to the sub and theres some smd amp dynos on youtube that verify its under rated... Would it just be simplest to throw a 12v 7ah or 12ah battery and charger inside the box and call it good? How long would that battery be able to play do you think? i've never done a stand alone battery system before.. I feel like lithium is the way to go and there will be times i want to just plug it into the wall and let it go for a while.. Is there an easy way to achieve this? im shocked at how long the jbl stuff can play with a small lithium pack. Not sure if i should try and set up some home brew lithium pack @ around 14v or just keep it simpler with agm or sla 12v. Not even sure i can make a portable setup to meet the draw of an amp like this. Let me know if you can help
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-10-2020, 4:21 PM Reply   
Well I look forward to your Project.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       04-13-2020, 5:36 AM Reply   
I love my Harman/Kardon Onyx Studio Speaker. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/harman-...?skuId=5886600