Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2017, 9:25 AM Reply   
Hey I'm doing a project and I was wondering if anyone has experience with these 3D wall pieces.
I'm looking to use this stuff outside under a coverd overhang (a ceiling) that will not get wet but will be exposed to moisture from a hot tub (the heat and steam that rises) anyone used somthing like this stuff before?
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-29-2017, 12:49 PM Reply   
I found some stuff on Amazon that's going to work out awesome it comes in a 4 x 8 sheet and it's thermoplastic so it will hold up well outside . Here is a photo of the 12x12 sample I received. I can see this stuff in other applications as well
Attached Images

Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-01-2017, 4:07 AM Reply   
We did the railings on a house a few years back that had that stuff in on the wall of the elevator shaft and stair tower. It looked cool but I thought it would collect dust.

photo IMG_2021.jpg

photo IMG_2011.jpg
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-01-2017, 10:18 AM Reply   
Aaron thanks for the reply. My question is. How did the seems come out? I can find it on Amazon in 4 foot by 8 foot sheets but I need 4x11 so I would have to seem it. I did a seem sample onnthe piece I posted a pic of and I'm not all that happy with it. Did the place you did come in one large piece or did you have to splice it together?
Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2017, 10:59 AM Reply   
G, one of the buildings that I maintain at SFO uses the gypsum style. The seams look like they are "joined" with taping mud. The ridges are run vertical and the panels go all the way down the hallway - about 200 - 300 feet. Looks pretty cool. Im pretty sure that once the seams are joined with the mud, they are sanded like drywall would be and then painted. It makes the entire hallway look like one piece of paneling. Ours are painted a flat off white that makes it look as if its cast in place porcelain. Im sure you could paint any color you want but it does dress up an otherwise boring hallway.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2017, 6:04 AM Reply   
Chris thanks I should have posted a photo of how I want to use them. I have a hot tub Aera that I'm prepping. Above the hot tub us a 4 foot wide overhang or ceiling. It's stucco. I wanted to use these panels to cover the stucco and make a cool lighting effect. When the hot tip is in use with the cover off I'm afraid it's gonna create moisture at the ceiling so the Plaster or Drywall style panels I'm afraid will not work for me. The one I posted a photo of is Thermoplastic and I think it's gonna hold up outdoors much better then the gypsum material. The ones Aaron posted photos of look like thermoplastic
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-02-2017, 11:44 AM Reply   
I see the taping method at the seems a lot. I can always find the seems but I'm always looking for them. I would silicone them in your situation. Attaching them to stucco might also be a challenge. Hopefully it's flat. How do you plan to finish the ends? Do they die into a wall or???
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-03-2017, 7:25 AM Reply   
This is gonna sound like a lot but. I was gonna mount a piece of wood to the ceiling then the 3D panel would mount to that. Then I was going to hide the ends by using crown molding and put some RGB LED's in the crown and "upLite" the panel
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-03-2017, 10:06 AM Reply   
I think they used bondo or some kind of fairing compound to smooth it out... but I'm not sure, they were done with when we showed up...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2017, 5:51 PM Reply   
These are panels that join up against each other.
Attached Images

Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2017, 5:53 AM Reply   
that is a different material than what they used in this house. The stuff they use was a coated MDF, I had to drill some 1-1/2" holes in it with a forstner bit to mount some grab rail brackets...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2017, 5:50 PM Reply   
Ok well I decided to just abandon the 3-D wall panel project. I could not find somthing that is 1 piece I didn't want to deal with all the joints of the various stuff available . And panel systems that are seamless are more for indoor use sheet rock type of material.

This is what I started with
Attached Images

Last edited by grant_west; 07-09-2017 at 5:54 PM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2017, 5:56 PM Reply   
I used the same stone Ledger I used on walls to do the ceiling. I'm gonna put some crown molding around it now and Uplight it with some RGB
Attached Images

Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-09-2017, 6:02 PM Reply   
Nice!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2017, 7:50 AM Reply   
Thanks: I think the Ledger will stand the test of time. Here is a more accurate b4 and after. BTW working upside down Sucks.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2017, 7:57 AM Reply   
This Job sucked big time! The Stucco needed to be ground off so that raw cement was exposed so that the mortor could bite into the surface and hold the ledger. We didn't have a cement grinder with a vacuum attachment because we didn't think we needed to grind the Stucco. I needed to finish the job yesterday so we just had to get after it. I will never grind stone with out a vacume attachment again. Working upside down even with goggles and dust mask and fans blowing the stuff away it's horrible. And I'm sure my Neighbors rightfully hate me by now. Here is the ceiling after we ground it.
Attached Images

Last edited by grant_west; 07-10-2017 at 8:01 AM.
Old     (MariusTitulescu)      Join Date: Dec 2015       11-14-2017, 12:13 AM Reply   
I assume that the project was finalized.
Any tips for an absolute beginner in 3D paneling?
Thanks in advance!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-14-2017, 2:45 PM Reply   
Well I found that the 3D wall art I like is the kind that’s Gypsum based. Gypsum is a porous material (like plaster) & doesn't do well outside. So after I found that out I decided to stop re searching that product and or the options around it and go with the stone. They did have large panels of the plastic 3D panels 4x8 was the largest I found but that was still not large enough for me. Tell us more about your project and perhaps we can help. Here is what my finished project turned out like.
Attached Images

Old     (minumahath)      Join Date: Sep 2018       10-07-2018, 9:26 AM Reply   
Here you are, the best 3d textured wall panels. 3D textured wall panels are a new way of modern home wall decoration. Made of the polyester fiber, 3D wall texture panels are lightweight, durable, moisture proof, ecofriendly, decorative, of outstanding personality, easy installation and operation, and reducing noise. So they are loved by modern people. 3D textured panels are mainly used for home improvement TV back wall, and other decoration.
Old     (MariusTitulescu)      Join Date: Dec 2015       10-03-2019, 5:34 PM Reply   
Love the designs.
What is the current color pallet available?