Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-09-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0110/Reid_apologizes_for_Negro_remark.html?showall

Navigate:

* POLITICO
* Ben Smith
* Reid apologizes for 'Negro' remark
January 09, 2010
Categories:

* Congress

Reid apologizes for 'Negro' remark

Harry Reid is apologizing this morning for casting candidate Barack Obama's light skin and lack of "Negro dialect" as selling points in his run for president.

According to the new book "Game Change," Reid "was wowed by Obama's oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a 'light-skinned' African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one,' as he said privately.

The claim is unsourced, but Reid acknowledged it in a statement passed on by the Las Vegas Sun's Jon Ralston:

I deeply regret using such a poor choice of words. I sincerely apologize for offending any and all Americans, especially African Americans for my improper comments.

I was a proud and enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama during the campaign and have worked as hard as I can to advance President Obama’s legislative agenda.

Moreover, throughout my career, from efforts to integrate the Las Vegas strip and the gaming industry to opposing radical judges and promoting diversity in the Senate, I have worked hard to advance issues important to African American community.

Both the underlying view -- that Obama will succeed because he's not too black -- and the choice of language pose serious problems for a Majority Leader facing a difficult reelection n Nevada.

Now who's a Racist?

Could you imagine if a Republican had said this, oh my.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-09-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
"Now who's the racist?"

That's easy - Trent Lott! Just ask any Democrat! And just ignore that fact that OBAMA said it was the Republican Party's responsibility to expel Lott from Congress.

But that was then, and this is now. So, should Democrats expel Reid? Apparently not. Double standards are SO entertaining.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-11-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Here is the obvious thing to me. What he said was the truth. It is not necessarily racist IMO.

Obama is a light skinned African American and does not talk like he is from Compton.

It should not matter who said it IMO.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-11-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
negro dialect == ebonics?

http://www.writtenhumor.com/ebonics.html
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-11-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
On what level was "..unless he wanted to have one"?
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-11-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
The sherrif is near!
Old     (dcdave56)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-11-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
This is where our society has gone with the political correct BS, most people, including blacks, know for a fact that for many people, Obama's proper grammer and light skin helped him politically, what amazes me about our country is that it is somehow wrong to say the truth. Mind bending....
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-11-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
nothing wrong w/Reid's comments.

Bill Clinton's however...

"The former president allegedly claimed during the hard-fought Democratic primary race: ‘A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee.’"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1242079/What-Bill-Clinton-allegedly-told-Ted-Kennedy-Obama-A-years-ago-getting-coffee.html#ixzz0cKr9J6cc
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       03-14-2019, 8:40 AM Reply   
Bump, discuss