Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-15-2010, 3:25 PM Reply   
WTF......I don't understand how this movie won the Academy Award.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-15-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
I enjoyed the movie, but yeah not sure how it got so many awards.
Old     (dav51lin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-15-2010, 4:13 PM Reply   
A good movie but not great.It may have won because of lack of competition,what was better?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-15-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
Love it or hate it, Avatar is the highest grossing movie EVER! I call that competition
Old     (dav51lin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-15-2010, 4:26 PM Reply   
another good movie not great other than the special effects.Blockbusters rarely do well at the oscars right or wrong .
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-15-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboypimp View Post
Love it or hate it, Avatar is the highest grossing movie EVER! I call that competition
yeah it also costs $8-$12 to goto the movies now..
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-15-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav51lin View Post
another good movie not great other than the special effects.Blockbusters rarely do well at the oscars right or wrong .
I guess I disagree, I thought Avatar was unlike any other movie I had aseen in the past. I agree that it had fantastic effects, but I thought it was creative and insightful and had a broader environmental flavor. I can see it might not be for everyone, but Hurt Lock was so one dimensional I saw myself watching the clock.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-15-2010, 4:58 PM Reply   
IMO Hurt Locker deserved everything it got! Great movie. I did not want it to end.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-15-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
I agree, I thought it was a great movie and was very well done.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-15-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
I just can't believe that all of you people have your own opinions, drives me nuts. Get in line already.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-15-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
out of the 10 nominees i only saw basterds (on a plane), District 9, Up, and Up in the Air.

A cartoon isn't gonna win it, and Up in the Air was a painful, slow disappointment.

I would have voted for District 9 over hurt locker in an instant - I thought that movie was FANTASTIC.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-15-2010, 6:55 PM Reply   
Huge fan of Hurt Locker. Also a huge fan of Avatar. Hurt locker because it just gave a really personal look at life over there. Something not many people get to experience. And Avatar was just so visually rich, I dont even care that the plot has been done so many times.
Up wasnt nearly as good as I was told it was (and this is keeping in mind that its an animated kid's movie). District 9 was OK, but wasnt all that I wanted it to be.
Old     (dav51lin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-16-2010, 5:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
out of the 10 nominees i only saw basterds (on a plane), District 9, Up, and Up in the Air.

A cartoon isn't gonna win it, and Up in the Air was a painful, slow disappointment.

I would have voted for District 9 over hurt locker in an instant - I thought that movie was FANTASTIC.
i agree up was very very good ,district 9 was as well, inglorious basterds was boring way way overated.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-16-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
The Hurt Locker was awful.

Avatar was like no other movie? Have you ever seen Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai, Fern Gully? Avatar was not original at all.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-16-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
Allegedly James Cameron had this idea since making the Titanic. Whether or not this is a fact, I'll give him the credit for it.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-16-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
A.

B. The Hurt Locker was superior to Avatar in the movie sense, however, frankly, I thought that District 9 was the best in the category. A lot of people are pissed with The Hurt Locker because it is unrealistic with it's portrayal of how the military works. The thing is though that the movie wasn't about the war, it was about the adrenaline addiction that Jeremy Renner's character had, and how that comes into play in the war. Inherently, Hollywood is allowed to take liberties with reality to tell the story. Plus the movie had virtually zero political message, which was one of the things I liked the most about Hurt Locker.

C. Sharlto Copely also should have won best actor IMO, as he ad-libbed virtually all of his lines, drastically changed his accent for the role, and his emotions during the weapon testing scene were incredible. Plus, there was an entire, very epic, character ark for Wikus, from normal ignorant guy to selfish coward, to selfless hero. And the fact that this actor, who has never been in any movie before managed to successfully portray that character arc like that, just, wow.

Last edited by wakeboardern1; 03-16-2010 at 8:17 AM.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-16-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
I have only seen District 9 and Avatar (well and 30 mins of UP) so maybe I should keep quiet, but hell that never stopped me before...

Avatar = Only good because of the special effects et al. Without all of those effects it would be mediocre and would have been on DVD already.

District 9 = OK IMO. I cannot put a finger on why it is middle of the road for me but it did not wow me nor did I hate it.

Hurt Locker, I just really have no desire to see this movie. Every single movie that I have seen regarding the recent wars I have been bored to tears with.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-16-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
I don't know if I just didn't "get" District 9 or what.. but I really didn't care for it. It was okay, but nothing special.

Inglorious Basterds was pretty good. Kind of slow, but I liked it overall.

As the parent of a toddler, it's a crime that I haven't seen UP. I've heard it's wonderful.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-16-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Plus the movie had virtually zero political message, which was one of the things I liked the most about Hurt Locker.
^THIS, Hollywood needs more of this
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-16-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
The charater of Wikus in D9 was brilliantly portrayed by an actor who had litle or no previous experience. He was the perfect everyman.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-16-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
Wes you and I agree for once.Shartlo Copelys potrayal of Wikus was so on the money it was unbelievable. I am South African and the Afrikaans speaking South Africans in government service during the apartheid years were exactly like Wikus. You have to be South African to really appreciate it. He was brilliant.

I saw an interview with James Cameron and there was not a doubt in his mind that his ex (Kathryn Bigelow) was going to win. First women director......

I haven't seen the movie so I cannot comment but nobody I know that has seen it has raved.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-16-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
Weird how the public embraced the Hurt Locker so readily while those whom it represented in the military can't stand it. From what I understand it's highly inaccurate and it's surprising there hasn't been more backlash from those who serve in that capacity?
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-16-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
First women director
didn't Coppola's daughter win a few years back?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-16-2010, 7:26 PM Reply   
she was the 3rd woman to be nominated (Lost in Translation) but the winner that year was Jackson for Return of the King
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-16-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
Ahhh, that must have been the hoopla that I remember then....
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       03-14-2019, 7:16 AM Reply   
Movie sucked