Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    nwwakerider            01-20-2013, 10:12 AM Reply   
I have an early 90's Sea Ray ski boat and the fuel vent is in the back corner on the port side. We started wakesurfing and with the weight, the vent ends up being under water the entire time. Took a few weekends to figure out that water was getting into the gas tank and then my engine.

My question is, can I replace the vent with one that wont allow water in, or would it be better to re-reoute the vent to the starboard side? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       01-20-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
You are surfing on a I/O? Man that is so not safe... As for your question, you should be able to vent to other side.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-20-2013, 12:47 PM Reply   
Yea I would suggest getting rid of the I/O and get your crew safe and away from that prop. Hopefully you keep your crew tight and everyone understands the possible consequences of riding behind your boat. I would hate to hear about someone being chopped up and causing a huge lawsuit and the possible threat of banning surfing as we already have problems with that
Old     (ryangb)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-20-2013, 12:50 PM Reply   
Do you mean a direct drive Ski Ray? If not, you should definetly not be surfing behind a I/O. Like Dax said, you can move the vent to the other side. You can also install a fuel/water separator that will help with water coming in.
Old    nwwakerider            01-20-2013, 3:18 PM Reply   
My boat is direct drive, so me and my friends are all safe. No need to worry! haha
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-20-2013, 3:31 PM Reply   
It might work to route it to starboard, but only till you get a goofy footer in your crew. I think it would be easier and cover you no matter what if you just moved it forward. Most of the newer boats the vent is forward of the windshield just under the rub rail. I think it would be easier to go forward than have to cross the boat anyway.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-20-2013, 4:28 PM Reply   
I agree with RB, if you are going to go through the time to move it, relocate it forward.
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-20-2013, 4:32 PM Reply   
Yeah, your only option is to relocate it forward.. It's an easy mod... We routinely "cross vent" the rear sacs for wakesurfing so the sacs do not drain and siphoned out..
Old    nwwakerider            01-20-2013, 9:07 PM Reply   
I never considered moving it forward. That makes a lot more sense. How far should I need to move it forward though?
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-20-2013, 10:27 PM Reply   
Goes to show you how young some members are in this forum when they don't know about when Sea Ray actually had a direct drive briefly lol
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-20-2013, 11:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Goes to show you how young some members are in this forum when they don't know about when Sea Ray actually had a direct drive briefly lol
A quick google of "early 90's sea ray ski boat" may have saved some confusion for the wee ones. LMAO!
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-20-2013, 11:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwakerider View Post
My question is, can I replace the vent with one that wont allow water in, or would it be better to re-reoute the vent to the starboard side? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks
Yes you can replace the vent to the back wall or on top of board with no problem.
And one question for all who told here about safety - who know any case with I/O surfing, when where and who?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-21-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
Erik most of the new boats are inline with the windshield or forward.

Alex, I don't personally know of any but I guarantee people are surfing I'O's. Probably someone on this site right now. I doubt anyone is going to admit it because they will get flamed. NO WAY your getting me behind one!!
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-21-2013, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexair View Post
Yes you can replace the vent to the back wall or on top of board with no problem.
And one question for all who told here about safety - who know any case with I/O surfing, when where and who?
I see I/O wakesurfing almost every weekend on my favorite lake. Two boats in particular, a Tahoe and a Larson. Some group of young guys in each boat.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-21-2013, 9:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
I see I/O wakesurfing almost every weekend on my favorite lake. Two boats in particular, a Tahoe and a Larson. Some group of young guys in each boat.
Thanks! i mentioned cases of injury. Sorry for misunderstand. The propeller is main problem for I/O surfing - yes? Maybe it's good idea for Mythbusters check this

Last edited by alexair; 01-21-2013 at 9:55 AM.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       01-21-2013, 1:20 PM Reply   
What's worse, is one weekend I was on Douglas Lake in TN and we were wake surfing, and an outboard powered boat with a bunch of highly intoxicated individuals decided they wanted to try... They grabbed a waterbed mattress and filled it or ballast, and were trying to surf behind the outboard on a kneeboard and I really thought they were going to kill themselves.

As for Alex's question, I have fallen. Few times behind my Centurion when I get too close and have grabbed the swim platform on some of those cases, so I am sure I could have put my body in contact with an I/O propeller.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-21-2013, 6:30 PM Reply   
Thats scary. No way I'm doing it with the revolving prop of death under the nose of my board. I prefer the prop of the boat well under the boat. I said it in another thread. Someone surfing an I/O is going to get killed or maimed and the sport will be banned.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-22-2013, 5:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Maybe its just me but I'd prod say something to them. IF the driver is an idiot you can alert him, IF he is just ignoring safety maybe his crew is too stupid to realize what could happen.

Either way maybe you scare some sense into the crew. Don't need possible incidents shining a bad light on surfing even if it is just a wally