Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-20-2009, 9:26 PM Reply   
I've replaced the two idler pulleys on my Black Scorpion because they were squeaking pretty loudly. I have two brand new pulleys on there and they're still squeaking. Any thoughts on what might be causing the sound? If I hit them with WD-40 the sound goes away but only temporarily. Should I be greasing them before I install them? Any help is much appreciated!
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-20-2009, 9:56 PM Reply   
Pulley could be out of alignment?? I had to shim my Mag 350 adjuster pulley slightly with a washer to get a squeak out. Easy to see when the engine is running. I hate the cheap adjustment pulleys Merc uses.
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-20-2009, 11:03 PM Reply   
Ryan...yes...this is not the first time I've had to replace them too. Maybe I'm missing something and like your idea. Where did you put the washer? On the backside of the spacer/bushing?
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-20-2009, 11:12 PM Reply   
Might be over tightening the belt.

Mercury Marine Recommends:
Proper tension ‑ 13 mm (1/2 in.) deflection, with moderate thumb pressure, on the
belt at the location that has the longest distance between two pulleys.
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-20-2009, 11:37 PM Reply   
Thanks Brandon...I'll check that too.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-20-2009, 11:57 PM Reply   
I remember them having some issues with their alignment back then. I would double check that. If I am not mistaking it was very commom to have to shim the pulleys on those
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-21-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
I had this problem with my truck I had to rough up the idler pulley with heavy sandpaper and it stopped the squeaking
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-21-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
How do you shim a pulley?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-21-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
place a washer behind the pulley (reinstall with a washer in there) so that you move the pulley away from the engine by the thickness of the washer. Should get the pulley closer to true alignment w/ the belt.

Merc tensioners are known for issues, including smoking a belt causing overheat.

(Message edited by denverd1 on August 21, 2009)
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-21-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
Oh yeah and carry an extra belt. Never know when one might fail I had one split in half (before I fixed the alignment) and bound up in the crank pulley.
Old     (mudsurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-21-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
Check your water pump,I had a 6.2 Scorp in my 07 V215 that was squeaking pretty bad. it turned out the water pump was going bad. look for a small drip from the pump... the WD 40 thing makes me think this is not your squeak but you never know.
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-21-2009, 10:42 PM Reply   
Well, went out today and shimmed the pulley and adjusted the belt tension with 1/2" of play and dang it all if the thing didn't still squeak. Not as bad, but definitely still annoying as heck. I can see where it would be way out of alignment without the shim...I'm just wondering if I didn't go thick enough?
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       08-25-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
I have the same engine and have recently developed a squeak (after 6 years squeak free). I have changed the impeller and belt tension seems good. I thought maybe it was the alternator going bad, but I have never had a charge issue. Would the pulleys get out of alignment after 6 years? I can not tell where the squeak is coming from and it is driving me nuts.

Sangeria - let us know if you figure yours out.