Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-19-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
Here is the deal- If I run my tower speakers around 1/2 volume I get great clear sound. if I try and crank them after about 30 seconds or so(changes) I lose the real high end sound. turn them down, it comes back. This is the third amp that they have done this with & another friend is having the same issue-

I am running-
Clarion EQ with Ipod input
Kicker 450.2 Amp set to Phil's specs
Kicker KMT6 Tower Speakers

Any Ideas? Gains set wrong?............
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-20-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
Is power wire size and length up to snuff?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-20-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
check with phil and see if they have a poly switch or tweeter protection circuit on the KMT. From the sounds of it, they do. When the crossover gets a clipped signal, it will cut off the tweeter to protect it from blowing. This is why half volume is fine and more volume is getting clipped.

If this is in fact the case. Then the gains are set up wrong and the amp is getting clipped. Best thing to do is re tune the system and re set the gains so that you are getting clean sound at full volume. You can also send a clipped signal from the head unit or source material. Not just the gain on the amp. So make sure your head unit or source is not above 85% of the max volume or so. Any higher and the signal is already clipped before it even gets to the amp. And from being a EQ with Ipod input. This could have a LOT to do with it. When running a high voltage line driver eq, you will not need much gain at the amp. Maybe 1/4 of the way up is all. Also, if you are going right into the eq from the ipod. See about getting the cable that goes from the bottom of the ipod jack to rca's. you can get them online. This will be a higher output from the ipod and also a fixed output. so the volume control will not work like it does using a headphone jack. so you can just use the volume on the eq. Much easier and cleaner. Less chance of clipping.

Again check with Phil to make sure this is the case, but sure sounds like it

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-20-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
Tim, thanks for the info. I will check the gains on the EQ. I am betting that is the issue. I am running the cable from the bottom of the IPOD already.
Nacho, I am running correct sizes. I redid them recently because I also thought it could possible be a voltage issue. The batteries are new Blue tops....
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-24-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
Tracktor-

Sorry for the late response, I have been driving to and from Dallas..

Tim is right on the money, (thanks Tim!). You probably have the gain set too high for the tower system and you are sending a clipped signal to the speakers. the tweeters are poly-switch protected, and your description exactly describes the switch going on and off.

You need to take a look at your total system gain. Tim and I have posted here and there the proper method for getting all your gains set properly, and a little searching will probably turn up the proper procedure. Regardless, it sounds like you at least need to turn the tower amp gains down. If you can't find the gain setting tutorials, post back here, and I can help dig for them.

Tim, again, thanks for hopping in during my absence!

Take care, and let me know if you have any additional questions!

Phil
Kicker