Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-18-2009, 5:33 PM Reply   
For some reason I find this article funny...

http://gizmodo.com/5340287/tige-boats-gets-touch-screen-control-system
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-18-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
"Ballast settings" I thought Tige's didn't need ballast.

I like the location of the Tige Touch but it looks a little lame compared to the offerings from other manufacturers.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-18-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Why?
Old     (adam)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-18-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
So that now they can push on a screen instead of a button.. duh!!!
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-18-2009, 6:25 PM Reply   
Tige does not need ballast runs fine without it!Dont all boats run without it? Will a malibu run without the wedge?
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-18-2009, 6:27 PM Reply   
touch screen, low dash, 2k ballast, snap out carpet. This boat is money.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-18-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
Here we go again. Beating a dead horse again.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
Looks pretty nice but when the hell are they going to quit putting cupholders down on the floor? Did they finally get rid of that retarted cooler that looks like a bed pan and is under the observer's seat?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
I'm not usually a Tige' fan but that looks really nice, the best looking LCD type display system I have seen.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-18-2009, 8:35 PM Reply   
Brett, I am sure the ice chest is there still. However, take a hacksaw after it and you have more storage space. :ro:

Looks like the cupholders are still there but really can't tell from the pictures. More will come out after this coming weekend when the entire boat is on displayed to the public at Surf Expo.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2009, 8:52 PM Reply   
That looks awesome! Everything looks really good but I am with Brett on the cup holders and ice chest. All Ice chests should have struts on them to hold them open.

Funny little story regarding the ballast. My buddy today had to bring his Tige in for some work and was looking at a 09 RZ2. A salesman comes up and starts pitching him and my buddy lets him. Of course he says "and they don't need ballast" My buddy says "yes they do" the guy persist " oh no they don't we had some pro riders out on them without ballast." My buddy well "I surf and they need it for that" "nope" He says "look I have an 06 I know they need ballast to surf"..."wwll they have the TAPS system"..."oh you mean the trim tab"?

I really like Tige's but just thought it was funny how they are still pitching the no ballast needed crap. Guess what no boat "NEED'S" it and a pro rider is gonna rip an I/O if you put em behind it but it's always better with ballast.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-18-2009, 9:01 PM Reply   
I think TigeMike said in another thread that any dealer that pitches that is full of it. :-) Or he said something like that.

Ya, you can ride it without ballast but why would anyone want to do that? I added lead to mine 4 months ago and the wake definitely firmed up a lot and grew a little while in the process. The TAPS allows me to play around with the shape of the wake so I can either have it round over to the middle or have the wake peak at the top. I like the peak. Has a nice kick once you hit it. But it scares the holly crap out of my wife.
Old     (truebeachbum)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-18-2009, 11:55 PM Reply   
i hate malibu's new interior it kinda looks like a tige..............
Old     (fic)      Join Date: May 2008       08-19-2009, 4:19 AM Reply   
Its not wrong for a dealer to push no ballast if he first qualifys the buyers usage, thats what dictates the need , we always ask where you ride ? what type of sports are you wanting to do? and what age are the riders? than give our recomendations , but they still have the option to order what they want .
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-19-2009, 6:19 AM Reply   
Daniel Watkins was asked about his ballast setup on his 22ve. His response was something along the line of "just enough that the boat won't sink."
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-19-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
That is the best set up I have seen on any of the boats with the new LCD screens. Tige has really made the biggest improvements with their boats. However, they have done it at a price they are no longer significantly cheaper than MC,BU,CC etc. All are about the same price once you get pricing from your dealer. Boat prices and cost of living going up and salaries going down. I think MC and CC went with way too big of a screen. Makes the dash to tall. Even thought its really cool. I really did what Tige has been doing. Still think 80 to 90 percent of the people buying boats are going to want ballast even with TAPS. Way to go Tige looks like 2010 will be a big HIT.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-19-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
i really like that. easy to get to
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-19-2009, 7:16 AM Reply   
awesome, nothing like fingerprints adding to the already big glare issues.
Seriously, nothing brings out greasy fingerprints (suntan lotion) like sunlight
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-19-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
My favorite quote:
"TAPS2 positioning (which is apparently technology that adjusts the size of a wake). "

I think its funny how they use the word apparently.

Anyway, looks good in the boat.... the best screen still goes to Epic, they have that MONSTER one that even people over 5'5" with normal hands can use
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-19-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
Not sure WTF you guys are talking about with the cooler, it has a double hinge on it and it stays open just fine (even with the boat rocking). The cooler sucks though, it's not insulated.

The new dash is cool, I personally don't like the cup holders on the floor and would like 2 up on the dash. My current RZ2 has only one on the dash. It looks like there might be a cubby under the touch screen where I can put my phone instead of in the netting under the throttle that gets wet sometimes. Snap out carpet finally - even my '04 Rinker 192 had that and it has been one of my complaints about my boat.

As for ballast - of course you need/want it for surfing and if you're an intermediate to advanced rider but I watched Nick Weinacker do some bad azz tricks behind his RZ4 without ballast too. I'd like to see bigger images of the touch screen to get an idea of how everything works.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-19-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
this is a good lcd
Upload
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-19-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
Nick, can you post the link to that youtube video? I would like to check it out - looks cool!
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-19-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
Keep it simple, keep it simple! Something else to break. A touch screen in a boat???
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-19-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Timmy, I am not even sure if they have done it for a while but the reason I think the ice chest use to be stupid was that it is this stupid kidney bean shape that is just an inset under the seat. I always thought it is was the worst cooler ever in any boat. Seems like a huge waste of space. It sounds like David knows what I am talking about.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-19-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
I just don't know if I like the whole touchscreen idea. I will give them props for the inovation. It looks to be in a good and easy to reach location when the trottle is positioned at wake speeds as well. As far as use while underway I prefer the feel of a button or switch over a sensitive touchscreen.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-19-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
Brett - I know which cooler you are talking about now, the one that is/used to be on the 22Ve/24Ve. I thought you guys were bagging on the RZ2 cooler which is behind the drivers seat and is a rectangle with a hinged cushion.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-19-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Timmy, sounds like they fixed on the RZ2. That is good.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-19-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
Brett, ya, that ice chest on the Ve series sucks arse in that location. Takes up a huge amount of space that could be used for storage. The RZ, as Timmy said, has the ice chest behind the driver and is not insulated either. :-(
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-19-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
Wouldn't a touch screen be a little hard to use with the glare of the sun, wet hands, and looking at it thru polarized sunglasses? Just seems kind of like a gimmick.

What increased functionality does it have? If it is useful, how about a GPS with moving map that you can mark known hazards and favorite spots. That would come in handy when a buddy is driving your boat while you’re riding.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-19-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
Chad - sounds like a cool idea with the map and hazards! I'm guessing the reality is, how much will you be touching the screen? You might hit a couple of times every now and then to bring up a new rider profile or fill/drain the ballast or set the cruise for the first time, but after that you probably won't be messing with it much.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-19-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
Nautique's has full gps mapping.
Old     (johnnewton8)      Join Date: May 2009       08-19-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
Im really pumped to see Tige' continuing to advance themselves with industry standards (snap out carpet, etc.) and new technology (touch screen). Tige' has been bashed about things that really hurt them when it came to comparisons with other brands and things they stood for (no ballast and wood stringers). There is something to be said for their commitment to their ideas, and at the same time, their ability to examine what they have been doing and evolve with the ever changing industry. They have been a little slow in changing/adding some things but every company has their way.

I look forward to seeing what the 2010 line will do for Tige' and their future. Great job guys!
Old    Slingshot            08-19-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
I am not a fan of all this touch screen display stuff. Call me old fashion, but I like toggle switches and analog gauges. I don't even care about ballast gauges. I assume when water is pouring out of the thru holes, the ballast is probably full. What happens 10 years down the road when these screens stop working? A toggle switch is cheap and easy to replace when it breaks. Everyone thought the Malibu computron computer system was awesome when it came out...Most of them don't work any more...
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-19-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
Whats up chase buttler
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-19-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
I love simple... the less moving parts the better, the less there is to break the better... but since the big wigs of companies don't see it that way when they throw tech into a boat they better make it awesome.
Too often something gets added to a boat that will improve it ten fold and works all of 15 min and wasn't really that good anyway.

I'm with kyle, analog is the way to go. If our RPM's are off in the boat, one good smack to the gauge and its back on.... its easy to tell when they've stopped working and easier to fix. I think all the screens are cool and flashy but there better be a backup.... the more boats rely on a big screen to display engine temp, oil pressure, etc etc etc the more and more the old gauges will be phased out, and that sucks, you lose the screen to some freak accident you lose everything.

A friend of mine's Perfect pass went out on his boat, no joke he couldn't not drive the boat. I don't mean my pull varied from like 20-25 mph I mean I would go from 12 mph up to 35 and back down again.... its insane, the more tech things get the more stupid people get.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-19-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
I am with you guys about the technology being a waste.

Good luck replacing the screens 5 years from now if it breaks. I predict you won't be able to replace it.

Fast forward 10 or 15 years from now and this boat with a broken screen will be pretty ghetto. You would be way better picking up one another 4 years older with analog guages.

You might as well crawl under there, start dividing wires and putting in toggle switches when it breaks a few years from now. This is not a bash on Tige. Now MC, Bu and Nautique has gone to these. I think it is a big mistake.