Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-04-2014, 2:36 PM Reply   
What would be the proper rms wattage to power a pair of Wet Sounds 696?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-04-2014, 3:53 PM Reply   
www.wetsounds.com
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-04-2014, 4:04 PM Reply   
No ****, 150 rms 300 peak. The rev 10's are 300rms 600 peak. 400 Is the sweet spot. I was trying to find the sweet spot for 696. Dont wanna underpower them.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-04-2014, 7:39 PM Reply   
Nice
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-04-2014, 8:33 PM Reply   
I have Zero experience with these speakers but I'd imagine about 200w would be safe and light em up pretty good. There's a narrow margin of power handling with a smaller speaker so 50w seems about right. I'm sure Tim or David will chime in.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-05-2014, 7:58 AM Reply   
There are always going to be variables.
Not all amplifiers stating the same power are created equal. Not all users apply that power equally which makes a big difference. Tuning and crossover selection makes a difference in power handling.
But I would begin by taking the WS thermal rating as being correct in a more conservative sense. Not clipped. A regulated amplifier. Correctly tuned/crossover.
Then I wouldn't hesitate to go with 200 to 225 watts in an unregulated amplifier provided all else is managed properly. But that is it. Maximum IMO.
Someone like me, who has a low threshold for distortion and won't tolerate it could run double the thermal rating long term with total reliability. Others cannot.
Compressed or clipped power is far more dangerous because it is far more continuous in nature and creates far more heat. Its not the distortion. Its the power that is the threat. However, a severely distorted/compressed/clipped amplifier can generate a multiple of its rated power.
At some point, dynamic compression sets in. You can pump in more and more power but the output no longer continues to increase by the same ratio. There is no point to it and it is risky for the speaker.
All this really applies to powering any speaker.