Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2014, 7:05 AM Reply   
ok so I have a syn 6 which is going to power one 12. I have a new xs 12, but I want the most bass output I can get since I am only going to run one 12. Would the jl w6 be a better option? I think the syn6 is rated for 600 watts bridged on channels 5-6
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-26-2014, 7:18 AM Reply   
I would stick with the XS-12 only running 600 watts to it. The 12w6 likes upward to a 1000watts , 750 watts is the min I would run on a 12w6.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-26-2014, 7:35 AM Reply   
The XS-12 and W-6 are in the same woofer class. The XS-12 is 88dB at 1 watt and the W6 is 85 dB at 1 watt. Meaning with 1 watt, the XS-12 will play louder. efficiency is only one small part of the equation. Tonal characteristics, power handling, excursion etc...all play into the output as well so you cant really compare specs on paper. The W6 has a little more xmax than the XS-12. However it likes a small sealed box and the XS-12 likes a ported enclosure. So again, two different types of woofers aimed at different enclosure types, so hard to compare. As a ported enclosure will have more output than a sealed.

The most important factors in a boat woofer set up is placement, enclosure with amplifier power matched to woofer. The XS-12 is a 4 ohm woofer. The W-6 is a dual 4 ohm. The W-6 will NOT work with the SYN-6. The chs 5-6 bridge to 600x1 at 4 ohms. You cannot run the W-6 on that amp with those channels bridged as it can only be a 2 ohm or 8 ohm load. So you could only wire it as a 2 ohm woofer on ch 5 for example and get 305 watts. Or wire it as an 8 ohm load and bridge ch 5-6 and get about 305 watts.

So you have the right woofer to match with the SYN-6 already. The best thing to do is take a look at our site and build a ported enclosure for the XS-12 to get the most output. You can give us a call as well and we can find a local dealer near you if you don't plan on building it yourself. Hydrotunes in Austin did a nautique with a single XS-12 ported off a SYN-6 I heard not too long ago and that boat hammered. The customer was blown away. So don't sweat it. Build the right box and rock out

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       02-26-2014, 7:43 AM Reply   
Keep the XS-12. It's a solid woofer and just right for the power you have if you have the right impedance configuration (4-ohm).
Forget the specs. You can't compare the specs head to head of two different brands no matter who they are. They have a different basis for rating their gear.
The construction of a Wetsounds XS-12 is more similar to a JL Audio 12W3....but not the 12W6. And Brad is correct in that for the W6 to reach its potential you need more power, especially in an open boat.
If two woofers have virtually the same surface area then for one to be louder it must have more excursion. More excursion (under control) is always going to require a big premium in amplifier power, because for one, more excursion is not as efficient as more surface area, and two, longer excursion woofers have less internal efficiency. The value will not be in which has the bigger power handling spec but which is the most balanced with your amplifier power.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-26-2014, 8:01 AM Reply   
Having listened to them both in my boat, I'd keep the XS-12. Pretty big price difference as well - almost twice as much for the JL.

Agreed on the power of the w6. I started running 600 watts to it and it was clearly not enough, moved up to 1000 watts and it was enough but had to be careful. I think the HD750/1 is the perfect amp for that woofer. Since the w6 is a dual 4 ohm woofer it can only be configured at 8 ohm or 2 ohm which really limits the amp selection.

Like Tim Said - you have a very solid marriage when you put the XS-12 with the 5th and 6th channel of the Syn 6.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2014, 8:04 AM Reply   
sweet ok thanks guys! Glad I picked the right woofer!

Tim,

I cant seem to send you a PM. I intend to have spade in cincinnati build the box for me, since I do not have all the tools. Problem is where to put it in my z3. Space is limited. I think it needs 1.7 cubic ft for the ported box correct?

Last edited by CarFanatic5; 02-26-2014 at 8:07 AM.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       02-26-2014, 8:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFanatic5 View Post
sweet ok thanks guys! Glad I picked the right woofer!

Tim,

I cant seem to send you a PM. I intend to have spade in cincinnati build the box for me, since I do not have all the tools. Problem is where to put it in my z3. Space is limited. I think it needs 1.7 cubic ft for the ported box correct?
If space is just too tight for ported then you may have to get creative. A port and port wall can consume a lot of space. Nothing says the port has to be inside the enclosure. It can be just as effective completely external to the enclosure using PVC and elbows. I hate writing this but 'think outside the box'.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-26-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
The Z3 can and will accept an enclosure of that size under the helm, but its not going to be as simple setting it in place. Is going to require some mod'ing.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       02-26-2014, 10:10 AM Reply   
If enclosure size is an issue check out the Hertz HX300. Only needs 1.2 Cu Ft PORTED!
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2014, 10:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
The Z3 can and will accept an enclosure of that size under the helm, but its not going to be as simple setting it in place. Is going to require some mod'ing.
yes, looks like the electronics will have to move up, and you would have to cut out some of the false wall.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       02-26-2014, 11:22 AM Reply   
I have a 2.0 cu ft ported enclosure under the helm of my RZ2. As stated you will need to move the electronics and cut out part of that wall. Totally worth it though.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2014, 11:49 AM Reply   
Mine is a 14 Z3. it has 2 walls. I"m thinking both would have to be cut to fit a box
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-26-2014, 3:13 PM Reply   
I had 2 w6s in my boat and they were super loud. Now I put them in my truck and there super loud and crisp and sound even better then in my boat. I have a ks1200 arc amp powering them and have it tuned down. It'll rattle my truck to pieces otherwise
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       02-26-2014, 6:07 PM Reply   
Quote, "The XS-12 is 88dB at 1 watt and the W6 is 85 dB at 1 watt."

Let me explain this. The sensitivity rating is at 1 watt. If you are going to play the woofer at 1 watt only then this is very important. But if you are going to play the woofer at 100 watts or 500 watts then the sensitivity spec is pretty much meaningless. It was a powerful spec back in the days of tube amplifiers but not revealing once lots of power became really cheap. With the advent of cheap power the design and construction of woofers forever changed.
Let's say we have one woofer with a very short and condensed voice coil. The magnetic field is intense at short excursions. So the lowest wattage sensitivity is higher. But as the woofer is driven harder and harder, the short voice coil travels beyond the sweet spot in the motor. It becomes limited in its maximum under-control excursion and even though you pump in more and more power the woofer begins to dynamically compress. It reaches a ceiling.
In contrast, we will take another woofer with a much longer voice coil winding. Same gauge and length of VC wire, just less layers and more length. The coil is spread out and is less efficient at 1 watt. But as you drive it harder and farther more of the voice coil remains in the motor sweet spot and it is cabable of a much longer controlled excursion. So while this second woofer is definitely less efficient at 1 watt it can actually be MORE efficient at 100 or 500 watts and at lower frequencies that require longer excursions. If you drop the frequency in half the woofer must move four times as far to reproduce that frequency at the same amplitude.
It's hard to use a sensitivity rating to compare a Wetsounds XS-12 to a XXX-12 or compare a JL Audio 12W3 to a 12W6. The XS-12 or 12W3 is going to be balanced with less power while the XXX-12 and 12W6 is going to be balanced with more power. You are exchanging better low power performance for better high power performance.