Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    deltahoosier            06-02-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
Jeremy,

Yes, we need to drill and find our own sources of energy. You suggesting we stop using oil? You suggesting we stop all drilling? What a moronic political ploy. Even your boy obama said we needed to drill. Maybe if we did not make the oil companies have to drill in such deep water, this mess would not be happening?
Old    deltahoosier            06-02-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Actually, I should not say moronic. I don't think it is honest to argue against drilling while still using resources yourself.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-02-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
That is not what I'm saying at all.

But to lead people into chanting "DRILL, BABY, DRILL" as if there are not any consequences to this short-sided view, is asinine. BP will walk out of this thing a few billion lighter in the pocket, which they will quickly earn back, while the residents and the ecosystem of the gulf will live with this catastrophe for years to come. But you take the blame from BP (which evidence is surfacing that proves criminal neglect), and place it on "us" because they have to drill so deep. I don't understand where you are coming from.
Old    deltahoosier            06-02-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
Drill baby drill is what we need to do. Seems to me, that I hear quite a bit from the left that we need to get off middle eastern oil and that they are not willing to spend the capital needed to secure that source. Well the next logical thing to do is to drill our own. The left does not like that either. They are opposed to drilling in alaska on land. They are pretty much against drilling anywhere. You talk about short sited. They are hoping for some pipe dream instead of looking at cold hard facts. There are hundreds if not thousands of wells around the world with no consequence. Yes, it did happen to one and it does suck. Many in the gulf are going to be affected. They will be even more hurt if drilling was to go away. Point is, nothing is free. Any choice you make, there will always be some consequence if it goes bad.

Don't think for a minute I am taking blame from BP. If they violated any law, they should be held accountable. I am mainly commenting about your posting of the video. On the thought of placing the blame on "US" is more about placing it on you and the people you vote with if we are trying to place political blame. If they did not have to go so far out to drill, they would not have been in such deep water making it easier to deal with such problems like they are having today. Not saying it is a magic fix, but, behind any law is a unintended consequence. This is one more in many laws passed that have created a horrible toll. Also, if they were allowed to drill closer, they maybe would have been under different US law and we could have had more control over them.

At the end of the day, we have to have what they are delivering. To think or say otherwise is lying. We should allow them to get us that product as easy as possible with the right mix of safety protocol. It is easier to do that when they are on our land.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-03-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
I was reading in the paper.... they say they used a huge shear to shear the pipe in 2...... but it made the pipe have an irregular shape and will be hard to cap.... why don't they put some sort of balloon they can put in their and inflate it..... yeah I know it would have to withstand the pressure. If they put it in their far enough.... they could inflate it.... and seal off the end with concrete or something.....
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-03-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
Someone else....

I know someone who is on one of the boats that operates the robots down there..... from what he said..... it's WAY worse than what BP says. Who knows.....
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-03-2010, 3:46 PM Reply   
What they need to do is open up ANWAR. Everything is here for it, all we need is some pipe, a pad or two and send it on down the pipeline.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-06-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       06-06-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
this is weird...

http://www.wimp.com/oilspills/
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-07-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
We have enjoyed vacationing on the gulf coast since we got married almost 24 years ago. We have been going to Fort Walton, Destin and the Gulf Shores areas and love all of them. While we are not far away, (Memphis area) you want to hope for the best and try not to think about the worst. However, it is hard to believe that this thread started WAY back on 4-30 and that this pipe has been gushing oil ever since then. Today, for the first time, I saw vids of the wildlife struggling. I have to admit my heart was broken to see it.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-07-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff for the video link. It's definitely worth a look everyone. Not much has changed in 30 years - just the depth!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-08-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
^^Unfortunately, I feel the worse is yet to come. The effects from the Exxon Valdez spill in 1989 are still felt today.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-08-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
http://blog.al.com/live/2010/06/anot...l_well_ne.html

another rig leaking???
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-08-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
How come oil spills never happen in the winter? Coincidence when gas prices spike during the summer? I highly doubt it.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-08-2010, 9:12 PM Reply   
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/08/oil...ef=igoogle_cnn
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-10-2010, 7:09 AM Reply