Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2017, 10:18 AM Reply   
I have a Sundance HotTub. I recently changed out one of my pumps. I think I may have Over tightend one of the fittings and it started to leak. When I inspected it and tightened it I made it worse. Well long story short I need to replace this fitting. The problem is I don't have any wiggle room normaly you would cut the old fitting off and install a new longer or shorter piece of tube. I don't think I have that option so what I'm looking for from my Wake World brothers is advice on cutting the old fitting off with out messing up the existing pipe and cleaning up the pipe so I can install a new fitting . Here are some pics of my plumming issue
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2017, 10:20 AM Reply   
You can spin the nut back and this is the sleave that needs to be cut off you can see where the fitting is split and that where the leaks started
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2017, 10:22 AM Reply   
So if anyone has a trick for removing old plastic fittings I would like to hear them.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2017, 10:42 AM Reply   
Cut along the sleeve without cutting through the pipe then apply heat and spread apart along the cut with a flat blade screw driver. Doesn't always come apart clean. Good luck!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2017, 10:54 AM Reply   
That's what I had in mind. I was gonna use a small hack saw blade to cut it. Didn't think about the Heat gun that's a good tip. Any tips for cleaning up the old glue? I was thinking some emery cloth sand paper but was curious what the pros would do in this situation
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2017, 4:25 PM Reply   
Yes just sandpaper but don't go to hard, you don't want to reduce the OD or the new fitting with be too baggy to glue properly
Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-15-2017, 7:17 PM Reply   
G, you're gonna want to use a hacksaw, dremel or any type of grinder that will take off as little material at a time as possible. I'd make several cuts lengthwise along the fitting and take it off using a somewhat dull screwdriver as a chisel. From experience, if you do try to get it in large pieces, you'll likely mess up the pipe that the fitting is attached to. Be careful with the heat gun. The stuff distorts easily and if it does, it's gonna be a real pain in the ass. The glue is usually the most brittle part of the joint and should crack as you tap or chisel it off from in between the fitting and pipe.

It looks like a female union attached to a female "T" with a short piece of PVC pipe. Thats good news if you happen to jack up the piece of pipe while trying to get the union off. You'll have a second chance since you can cut the pipe within the "T" and chisel it out, but only if the pipe gets messed up.

For putting it back together, Id use that "Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue" with the purple primer. The stuff is real thick, will seal a bunch of joint "sins" in case there are some gouges in the finished joint. We use this stuff when we hit waterlines with a back hoe or excavator and it seals up joints that don't seem fixable.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-16-2017, 8:45 AM Reply   
Per above - grind or saw off the old fitting. It's a pain, but more or less the only way if you need to reuse the same. Do you need to replace both unions, or just the one on the flexible PVC where the o-ring got jacked up? All you have shown is female ends. Are the male sides ok and reusable? If so, make sure you get the exact same brand union, as they can have different threads between manufacturers, and some manufacturers also have a coarse and fine thread version.

When you put it back together, make sure the pipe ends are aligned/square and that the o-ring is clean and lubed. Don't rely on the the collar to pull together large gaps with a plastic union, as you'll just crack the collar. The collar's job is just to compress the o-ring enough to seal the joint, and if the pipe ends are constantly trying to pull away from each other, you'll have a hard time getting it to seal. Red Hot is a nice glue and will allow you to pressurize quickly, if that's of concern, but work fast with it, as it cures up pretty quick.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2017, 10:02 AM Reply   
Heat is your friend
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2017, 10:04 AM Reply   
Once I made a small cut across the fitting and got the fitting luke warm it pretty much pealed off.
Now what do u recommended to clean up the pipe and remove the old glue
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2017, 10:09 AM Reply   
And yes I stared with the Easy fitting. This "T" fitting is not gonna be easy. And if I screw this one up I seriously don't wanna think about it. The edge of this fitting has a small piece missing. I don't know if it's enough to cause a leak? It was not leaking at this fitting when I took it apart. So I'm up in the sure weather to change it or re install it and see if it leaks and then go after it? It's such a pain in the a$$ place I'm not sure if I attack it I'm gonna open up a can of worms
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2017, 12:04 PM Reply   
Well I was able to cut off the fitting at the "T". It turns out they have or sell a 2inch pipe reamer. It will allow me to bore out the t fitting so that I can install a new fitting by drilling out the remains of the old fitting still glued in the "T" this job is not looking so bad right now fingers crossed.
Attached Images

Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-16-2017, 7:51 PM Reply   
Post up a pic of the rheemer. I had a similar issue. I used a hole saw bit and a wood plug the same Id as the 2" pipe. The plug kept it centered and a hole saw bit a hair smaller than the fitting. It worked pretty good but it was a pia.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-17-2017, 9:26 AM Reply   
This is what they call a "Ram Bit". The washer that's near the front of the Bit acts as a guide in the pipe. The flanged portion is the part that cuts the old pipe out. I never knew these existed. I called a contact that I had forgot about and he does pools and he told me he uses them all the time. I ordered some new fittings from a plumming company the owner said he has never heard of these??
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-17-2017, 11:27 AM Reply   
This thing looks like it's gonna work out. $12 saved my butt. I can even practice on the old piece I cut out.
Attached Images

Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-17-2017, 7:15 PM Reply   
Where did you buy the rambit. I need to order a 2,2.5,3". That is great!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-17-2017, 9:58 PM Reply   
The Brand I bought is Raptor. I got it at irrigation or plumming supply place called (Ferguson) they had kits that had all the different heads
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2017, 9:05 AM Reply   
Well all my plastic parts finally came in and I was ready to finish this thing up. The Ram bit works good. I wish now I would have taken a photo of the finish the Ram bit left. It bored out the old pieces of plastic but it left the inner dimension of the pipe pretty rough like 36 grit and Hairy rough. I gess it's better to do the Ram bit a pit small and leave the finish rough and then have the user finish sand it by hand so as not to over size the pipe.

I primed and glued it and because I felt like I used a Libral amount glue to fill up any and all voids I'm gonna let it cure a full 2 hrs b4 I decide to try it out
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-28-2017, 4:12 PM Reply   
Red hot (blue) glue?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2017, 7:31 PM Reply   
I used medium. It was (clear or white) if any color. Just filled the tub now zero leakes! Awesome 👏 Should be warm in the morning for coffeee time.
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-28-2017, 10:23 PM Reply   
Pygmy date palms are always a good choice.