Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2017, 8:40 PM Reply   
I'm pretty familiar hooking up stereo system in cars and boats but Horne is new to me. I'm not looking to do new but the house I'm in has outside speakers mounted and I was told they work. There are 4 wires that come into the house are red, black, white, and green. But not certain how or what to connect to. Is there a way to connect these to a Bluetooth setup possibly or do they need power?
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-30-2017, 10:32 PM Reply   
If you have only two speakers outside I would bet the red and black go to one speaker and the white and green go to the other speaker. They probably installed one run of wire with four connections in the jacket. You can take a AA, AAA, C or D battery (just make sure it's 1.5 volt)(some say a 9v will work but that's up to you) and put the leads on either end. If you hear a thumping noise from the speaker when you tap one side of the wire on the battery, you will know which wires go to which without blowing anything up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_C9M-rvbWA

Last edited by jtech; 07-30-2017 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2017, 12:16 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply I can see that making sense. I will test it when I get home. But then the follow up question is how do I play music to it? Maybe I am completely drawing a blank and asking a stupid question , but do I need to get power to them somehow or do I need to hook it up to some sort of receiver? I need to hook it up to an amp? Or is there a way to hook up to the Bluetooth
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-31-2017, 12:37 PM Reply   
You will need an amp. You can get a bluetooth receiver for under $10 to hook to the amp. Or you might just find an amp with it built in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-USB...-/112445994337
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-31-2017, 12:37 PM Reply   
You'll have to connect them to a amp one way or another. If your main amp is a A&B/Zone amp you can connect these to the B or Zone 2 so you can turn them on/off. Other option is to connect them to a dedicated amp. You can always split the sound to both amps via "Y" cables feeding both RCA in's.
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       07-31-2017, 7:57 PM Reply   
Sonos.com

You're welcome 🏼*♂️

There is better options out there but really gets pricey. There are cheaper options out there but it's not the easiest to operate. With the sonos amp you can diy.

If you plan on doing other stuff hire a pro
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-01-2017, 7:49 AM Reply   
Buy a receiver or mini amp.... attached your speakers to this. Run an AUX or RCA-->3.5mm from the receiver to a Chromecast Audio. Stream the media to the CC-Audio, it will be play from the speakers and cost 1/5th of what Sonos will.

If you're not looking for anything crazy in terms of power I suggest:

This amp - https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-...pply--310-3000 - its tiny, cheap, and works well

Chromecast Audio - https://store.google.com/us/product/...audio?hl=en-US - lets you stream via your wifi to the lil' amp

The CC-A is awesome because you can setup "groups" of multiple CC-A devices and have the music sync (like sonos but way cheaper). I have 3x at our place - my basement home theater, living room 2.1 system, and outdoor speakers. I can send my music via to all 3x receivers/amps at the same time so my whole house / beach is covered in sound.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 08-01-2017 at 7:55 AM.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-01-2017, 9:38 AM Reply   
That's a great looking little amp Nick.

OP:
If you run apple products at all you can also connect an air port or second apple tv to this second amp. When using your phone you can select which Apple TV/air port plays or have multiple. I do this at home. I have a zone amp in my pantry that runs 2 pairs of speakers in my living room dining room on the first zone and another pair in the kitchen on the second zone. I also have an apple TV on my main TV amp.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-01-2017, 7:43 PM Reply   
Man thanks for the posts guys. Ya sidekick not lookin for much, just a little sound on the deck when we have people over or sitting in the hottub. Honestly the sound from most small Bluetooth portable speakers is plenty, but figured since the speakers are already there then maybe there is better solution. I will post up when I make a decision but mini amp sounds bout right.

@bcrider...r u bc as in Vancouver BC?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-02-2017, 9:41 AM Reply   
^Jeremy. Yep! I live in Abbotsford actually. Just on the other side of Sumas.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-02-2017, 12:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
That's a great looking little amp Nick.
They are awesome lil' guys. I have 3x of them in my house and they've run great for years now. I keep one in a stainless enclosure by the lake and despite the heat and humidity it works awesome still. I highly recommend them... nice part is the size, its like super small so can be hidden away / mounted out of sight really easy
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2017, 11:46 PM Reply   
Can u hook a bt device directly to the amp? I thought the CCA would be bt, but reviews suggest that it is not?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-05-2017, 9:04 AM Reply   
CCA has an AUX out that will go directly to that little amp I linked.

The CCA is NOT bt.... it runs off your home's wifi, which I have found to be far less spotty than BT. So as long as your home and the CCA are on the same wifi network you are good to go. I assumed since it was attached to property you were within wifi range, if not than a BT option might be better, but could still work well with that mini amp
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-05-2017, 9:40 AM Reply   
It's definitely within wifi range. I'm just not understanding then how the music from my phone syncs to the CCA. I'm old haha...Technology has surpassed me…
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-07-2017, 7:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm just not understanding then how the music from my phone syncs to the CCA. I'm old haha...Technology has surpassed me…
There is a chromecast app (or maybe its called "google home" now) ... This app is what you use to connect your CCA to your wifi. Once setup, then you just select the CCA as your audio output location vs. your phone / pc speakers / bt device.

The app is pretty intuitive and there are a ton of videos on youtube that can walk you through its operation.
Old     (kevinstephens)      Join Date: Jun 2017       08-19-2017, 4:04 PM Reply   
I am using the new version of chrome cast and so far so good.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Towing Springfield VA
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       08-19-2017, 10:08 PM Reply   
I would never trust an Amp that costs less than All You Can Eat Sushi lol

I use mini amps all the time. Not that brand though. I use ones that are more meant for custom integration not DIY.

I also own a home theater company so my advice probably isn't the best for DIY. I can/will/sell/recommend products that I know work & I would put in my own home. Would I trust a $25 amp to power speakers? No. Will it work? Probably. Will they be under powered? Absolutely. The speakers you have unless they were bought at radio shack at least $150pair.

I have used AppleTVs to stream audio with mini amps but not Chromecast. I'm sure Chromecast will work just fine for what you want to do.

It's all based on budget though 🤷🏼*♂️
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-24-2017, 1:29 PM Reply   
Well ended up buying
https://www.amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2020A.../dp/B00C2P61FO
And
https://www.amazon.com/Audiocast-M5-.../dp/B072C28DK8

Perfect for what I was looking for!

Pretty much the same setup just slightly diff products and the only reason I changed was for a little by faster delivery. Thanks for the input guys
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-24-2017, 1:34 PM Reply   
Just double sided taped the audio cast to the amp. Mounted amp next to the door that heads out to the deck. Love the wifi connect of the music, I didn't know that was an option but it's perfect! Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by hawk22; 08-24-2017 at 1:38 PM.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-25-2017, 7:31 AM Reply   
Looks good!