Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       07-31-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
Currently on a Shane and thinking about trying the Watson. I have a little trouble holding the heel side edge with the Shane and have read a number of good things about the Watson. Reviewers have commented that the Watson is slower than the Shane, a lot or a little? Will it feel like a boat anchor? Will it be difficult to break lose for butter slides? Thanks for any help.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-31-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
It doesn't feel like a boat anchor lol. Once on edge it moves as fast as you want to push it. I found it slow to hook up, or slow in the transition phase and that's the reason I went with the Lyman over it. It's got a nice predictable pop and it still allows you to break loose.

Try one out if you can! You might consider the S4 or Lyman as well.
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-31-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
the Watson is great, i have no trouble breaking it loose. And the speed isn't slow for me (granted I've only been on a few other boards). Super easy to control and very nice pop and the landings are great.

Doesn't he get a new shape next year? I'd be interested to see what he changes
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       07-31-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
I think because of the economy the demo programs are almost non existent. Because of my lack of skills I need a lot of pop and the Shane has really helped me there. Should I expect similar pop with the Watson or Lyman?
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       07-31-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
Guess I should throw the S4 in to the mix.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-31-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
the watson is a sick board. i didnt care for it with the center fin, but if you take it out, its pretty awesome. its got great pop, and easy to break loose
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-31-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
I just went from the 2007 Shane 140 to the 2009 Watson 138. The Watson does seem slower at first, but after a few sets you'll get used to it and it won't be an issue at all. With the center fin out it's actually a bit looser than the Shane when flat, but still holds an edge into the wake just as well as the Shane.

I felt a little more straight up pop with the Watson in comparison to the Shane. I think the slowness of the board contributed to that though. Because it felt slower than what I was used to I compensated by really holding my edge to build speed. The increased edging on my part ultimately helped me to get booted higher.

I say try it.... you'll love it.
Old     (boarderpat)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-31-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
I have a virtually unridden (maybe 10 sets at the most behind the boat, no rails) 08 Watson 138 LTD, with the grind base and rasta color graphic in the for sale section...(I have two of them actually, one ridden at the cable on rails as well!!) Just if you are interested in that board the shape is the same!!

The Watson breaks loose pretty easily (especially if you ride it finless) I liked it and I came to wakeboarding from snowboarding so I much prefer that loose feel of a board and the watson corresponds to that!!
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       07-31-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
Went and picked up a Watson today, have my fingers crossed that I'll be happy with it .
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-31-2009, 5:07 PM Reply   
post up what you think, i havent heard many negative things about it if any. i forgot it even came with a center fin, def try it without
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       08-05-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
Finally had a chance to ride my new Watson and I have to say I really like it. Pretty much as advertised. To start with (as of today) I'm a (54 YO) old guy and because of numerous old motocross injuries do not attempt inverted flight . So anything I do on a wakeboard is right side up. The only problem I'm having is the mounting holes on my 07 Shane bindings will not allow for any width adjustment (see pic). I sent a email to Colin at LF to see if a new style binding plate would fit on my 07 Shanes. Hope to hear something back from LF today. When I tried the new board yesterday with the wider stance my knee and ankle didn't tolerate it very well so I'm hoping to come up with a fix with out having to buy new bindings.

Upload
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       08-05-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
Well decided to just fix it myself and not spend any more $$ right now. I have a drill press, so now I have a added hole to the binding plate .
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-05-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
Well if you do decide to upgrade your boots the 08 Shanes fit the board a little better. Also, the 08 Shanes have a much better base plate that will not allow any heel/toe lift of the boot from the board. You should be able to snag a pair of 08's for cheap. And just incase you decide to get 09's I would still use the 08 plate. LF got it right in 08 but for some reason decided to change in 09?
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       08-05-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
Gary, I just bought the 09 Watson 138 as well. I think it is an awesome board, great pop and soft landings.

I came from the One, so it's a totally different ride. I am happy with it!

I had the same situation with bindings only fitting one spot. I have the 08 Murrays. How did it go with drilling the hole in the plate?
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       08-05-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
Richard thanks for the tip. The board was my B-Day gift so I'll have to wait until Christmas for bindings.

Nate drilling the holes was no problem, the aluminum plate is fairly soft. I only needed to narrow the stance one inch (one hole) on each side to achieve my old setup. After drilling the correct size hole for the mounting screw I used a 3/4 inch drill to bevel the hole and remove the rubber material that's bonding to the aluminum plate. It only takes a little action with the 3/4 inch drill to get a bevel on the hole.Upload
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       08-06-2009, 6:05 AM Reply   
Gary, that looks great! I may give it a try. I think I would like to widen my stance just a bit.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       08-06-2009, 7:08 AM Reply   
I wish I could keep the wider stance but that couple of inches in width really impacts the pain to my knee and ankle. Oh I hate getting old .