Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-07-2009, 11:38 PM Reply   
my 5.7 merc has some steam or water vapor that is coming out of the valvecover breathers that run up to the carb/spark arrester...killing my top end speed...spark plugs all look good, motor still runs fine except at wide open when the moisture collects on the arrester and gets sucked into the carb, oil in pan is still clean???? any ideas? head gasket? I took off the valve covers and there was some "peanut butter" in the upper ends...condensation? cleaned it all out and gonna run it and see what happens. but I am still getting some steam in the driveway test.

I'm hoping for the best.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2009, 4:35 AM Reply   
sounds like a cracked head or a blown head gasket. what does the eng. oil on the dipstick look like?
Old     (tdiggity)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-08-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
^^^ second that if the oil is milky you got some trouble
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-08-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
the oil in the pan, on the dipstick, is still clean...thats the weird thing???
I'm going to pump it out and and let it sit in a clear container to see if I have any down there but it seems that it is just up top, the engine is at an angle and it was at the higher end not down in the other end where it would seem like water would go...thats why I am thinking condesation, plus we have been using it in 48-49 degree water, pulling it out and putting it in the garage every 3 to 4 days...I'm hoping its just condensation but I don't know
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
yes i have seen the condensation build up on the cap but i have never seen it really steam/vapor up to the flame arrestor.but i hope thats all it is. good luck.
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-08-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
Head gasket.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-08-2009, 8:27 PM Reply   
any idea how I can tell which head gasket?
plugs all looked good and identical in appearance.

any chance of it being the intake gasket?

I don't want to tear the whole thing apart if I can avoid it.

any help is appreciated
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-08-2009, 8:36 PM Reply   
I would not recommend only changing one head gasket. If a head gasket is blown the intake has to come off anyway. Leak down/compression test is what I would do.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-08-2009, 10:56 PM Reply   
yeah I guess I'll have to compression check it