Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old    jklaus            08-11-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
I have an 05 supra with indmar engine and walters v-drive and zf hurth tranny.

Need to change the fluids and have a few questions:

V-Drive - manual says to only have a trained tech change vdrive oil - only says for this procedure not engine or tranny oil - wondering why? Okay to fill through dip stick hole?

Tranny - cant find the drain hole anywhere - know where the check fluid level is and can fill there but cant see/feel other ports.

Tranny - manual recommends to clean tranny oil strainer screen - where is this?

Rudder lube - what type of lube does this require and where/how do you apply.

Thanks for the help.
Cheers, Jeff
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-12-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
Can't answer everything but will start.

Rudder Lube: Marine grease in the grease fittings, mine has 2, on the rudder shaft inside your bilge area.

Tranny: No drain hole. Unless you are rebuilding the trans, which you are not, you must suck it out with a pump through the dipstick. If you suck it out, a good proportion of the tranny fluid will still be in there and if you want to completely change the fluid you will need to flush it, or suck it out repeatedly after operating it. For maintenance, I just suck out what I can and top off, though when I got water in it, I had to suck it out about 6 times. I do not have a Supra, but mine uses MercronIII tranny fluid - your owners manual should tell you what fluid to use.

V-drive: Also suck and refill from dip stick. Mine uses straight 30W oil. I'm not real clear on detergent vs. non-detergent. There was a post on this issue and it seems either was OK. Any other opinions?

(Message edited by bmartin on August 12, 2008)
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-12-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
If it's the same as the Walter V-drive on my boat, there is a drain plug. Also there is a vent cap that can be removed to expose a larger access than the dipstick hole, for re-filling and sucking out. 30w engine oil per my Walter manual.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-12-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
It's funny that the V drive states to only have a trained tech do it. It's the easiest of all 3. For me the toughest was the tranny it took several efforts to get all the fluid out with the pump. I just kept pumping it and moving the tubes around to find fluid.

I would like to know about the tranny oil strainer screen too.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-12-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
Can't speak for the ZF Hurth, but on the Velvet Drive tranny there is a strainer that is accessed by removing a hose from a 90 degree coupling, and then unscrewing that coupling.
It is on the lower front port side of the tranny. Also by removing that coupling, it allows almost all the fluid to drain without pumping.
Old    jklaus            08-12-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yeah I found the drain on the vdrive, just couldnt find it on the tranny. Chris - that vent cap thingy on the vdrive - I'm pretty sure I know what that is but have no idea how to get it off - any special technique?

Jeff
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-12-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
Jeff~
It has sort of a mushroom head on it, put a wrench or channel locks just below the head on the shaft and turn counter-clockwise, it unscrews.

On the tranny, unscrew the oil return line at at the coupling, it will drain out. You will need to pump out the remaining fluid through the dipstick hole though. Important: replace only with the amount you take out. Run the boat and then check tranny fluid when hot, and add any if necessary.