Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-01-2007, 8:58 PM Reply   
do you guys still lift weights during boarding season?
I am think about still lifting twice a week

just going lite ....

what do you guys do...any lifting?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-01-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
I lift all year round. I started in the 10th grade and have never really stopped for more then a few months. My problem is I hate to do cardio.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-01-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
I hear ya Daniel
but the instructors at my gym make it easy to wanna take a class...and they have a few classes that use the "core board" that make it kinda sorts specific for a wakeboarder
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-01-2007, 10:14 PM Reply   
Cardio sucks for the simple reason it is boring!!! Even with an ipod
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-01-2007, 10:23 PM Reply   
Circuit train for your cardio, problem solved. Use it as a variation to your heavy lifting schedule.

And another note I shouldnt be talking, gained 30 pounds this year because I havent been lifting......game is back on starting tomorrow.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-01-2007, 10:27 PM Reply   
i stopped lifting for about two weeks. Stopped going to the gym completely and lost about ten pounds... Go figure... People say i lost muscle mass, but i wasnt working out hard to begin with. Light weight lots of reps...
Old    kidrik            05-01-2007, 10:35 PM Reply   
Keep on keepin' on Cliff! Mix it up, and be well balanced! Never stop working those legs......as well as warming up and stretching! At "our" age, it's crucial that we keep a consistent routine, and do our best to prevent unwanted injuries!

My wife is like the "instructor" you mentioned! We met playing college sports, and getting our Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Kinesiology. (just a fancy word for how the body works )She teaches aerobics, kickboxing, and core strength training. My point is, we need to work on stretching, strength, and endurance to keep our old ass dreams alive! If I could only stop drinkin' so many brew ha ha's..........I might actually get in shape!

Lift on by brotha'........just maybe not right before a set.....!

Not bad for turning 40 and squezzin' out three munchkins, huh?!

Upload
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-01-2007, 10:59 PM Reply   
Heres a plug for "beach bodies". 5 weeks ago i began this program called P90X. it increases your strength, endurance, cardio and flexibility. i got it to increase my performance on the job and for wakeboarding. its a 90 day kick in the pants with dvds. 6 days a week for 13 weeks. each workout is 60-90 minutes and all you need is a mat, some light dumbells, and something you can do pull ups with. check it out on beachbodies.com.
Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-01-2007, 11:00 PM Reply   
Damn Look At That Booty, is that a REEF girl...lol
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-02-2007, 5:43 AM Reply   
I lift during the season, but about a month before is when I switch to high rep, lower weight sets. I also ditch max out days and mix in some cardio during the season when I'm not going out. As it gets closer to end of season, I add more weight back on and decrease reps. By winter, I'm doing a lot less cardio and a lot heavier lifting. It's a very simplified version of the Nebraska system most college athletes use now. The idea is to gain as much strength as possible in the off season and then keep the pilot light on your strength while getting back into good cardio shape in time for the season.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-02-2007, 5:47 AM Reply   
been lifting religiously for the last 12 years...doesn't matter what season it is or what sports i'm playing. i do from time to time change up my schedule: for a while i will lift Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri....then, i'll do Mon, Wed, Fri for a few months. now i'm doing every other day, no matter what day it is...and i ride a lot (around 5 days a week).

another note ~ don't fall for "low weight high rep" for getting toned or burning fat...it's a myth. it can, however, create muscle endurance for specific sports. the main thing that attributes to fat loss is your Diet.

also, weight lifting can actually be a more efficient way of burning fat than your cardio routine. you burn calories during lifting and after lifting...you are burning calories while your muscles recover.

as Rik said, "Keep on keepin' on!" ....or was that Joe Dirt?
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-02-2007, 6:39 AM Reply   
i lift weights about 5-6 times a week

and i run for an hour about 5-6 times a week pretty dang fast too

i let myslef get fat and was like that for 10 years, for the past 5 months i've been skinny, and i'm not getting fat again...
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-02-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
No, "low weight, high rep" won't get you toned or burn fat but it will keep you in good enough muscular shape that when you start to get serious about lifting later you won't have lost any ground. And usually what I mean by "low weight" is keeping your weight the same and increasing your target rep count to go up a weight. So where an 8-X-6 (where X is some number between 1st and 3rd set counts) would move me up 10lbs in the winter, it will now take 16-X-8 in the summer. That effectively means I'll only move up weight 2 or 3 times during the summer. Pumping an Olympic bar 50 times won't do you any good. I know people who have tried that route and still swear by it even though they have nothing to show for it.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-02-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
valid point Dante. my comment wasn't in reply to yours...looks like we were typing at the same time. i was more referring to the notion of hearing people say, "i'm doing 3 sets of 20-30 reps. i'm going to be toning and burning some fat."

the system you describe is indeed what a lot of college athletes do now days. this last year was my first year a way from college ball and training after graduating. i still do something similar, just don't do all the olympic lifts any more...power clean, dead lift, snatch, etc...
Old     (thedangcorn)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-02-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
Hey guys, which way to muscle beach?
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-02-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
The only thing that i change when boarding season gets here is that i will start to stretch again. My workouts stay the same Monday through Friday. I do a 5 day split.
mon: chest and tri's
tues: back and bi's
wed: shoulders
thur: legs
fri: arms
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-02-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
Started lifting 3 years ago, has helped my riding a lot. Lift heavy, have been gradually increasing, about 10-15lbs increments every 30-60 days. 8-12 hours a week in the gym, switch days upper body, legs & core. Only hit the cardio for 10 minute warm up, the rest comes when I get home, 30-45 minutes on the trampoline with the kids will do it. Try to eat healthy, stay away from the fried stuff. Lots of protien 1-2 hours before, some carbs just a few minutes before starting. I do this the whole year, break only for vacation. If I ride, can skip workout 'til the next day.

Pretty much go crazy trying to stick to what the experts would reccommend, I would say do your best, find something that works for you, try to expand on it a little at a time. Good luck.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-02-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
Hey Corn Holio, If you have to ask, then you wont know...lol

I go 4-5 times a week for me year-round, but I board all year as well.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-02-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   
Been lifting for roughly a year with pretty good gains for the time that I've been doing it. I do a 4 day split with heavy weight/low reps/high sets.

back/shoulders
bi's/tris
chest/abs
legs

I was doing it different but this seems to work best for me though i hate back/shoulder days because they are boreing. I've put on about 10lbs in a year and roughly 20lbs in all catagories of lifting excluding legs.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-02-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
I dont "lift". more athletic training. i.e. lots of core strength, medicine balls, integrating cario into a weight workout, circuts, supersets..etc. Its really paying off. My weight varies greatly (has swung form 240 to 165). i've just about lost all my stomach (lower abs starting to show), and im at 175.

All the core training generates incredible pop off the wake. If you think its legs and arms, you need to try focusing on core for a couple weeks, then see what happens.
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       05-02-2007, 4:09 PM Reply   
Wow dj...swinging from 240 to 165 is a lot of weight!
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-02-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   
ya, I was a fatass, then I started wakeboarding. Sitting on a boat with your shirt off all sumer is a great motivater.

That was about 6 years ago. I've kept the weight off ever since.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-02-2007, 4:44 PM Reply   
so i usedto lift and swim most of my life and i started getting the muscles so called "wings" under my arms and i had the hardest time spinning and then i came to the relization it was the musscles making it hard.. i stopped working out for a realy long time and now my muscles have shrank and i can spin faster than ever.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   
"....try focusing on core for a couple weeks, then see..."
well said dj
that's what I have focused on the past few months

I've only ridden a few times this year, but can tell the difference

now I just need to get lighter on my feet
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
Rik
the wife looks good
congrates on that
I met my wife in karate class
she was the top student and would teach class

after she kicked my butt a few times....we started dating....
almost 17 years of marriage and 2 kids later,
she still looks good ..and is gunna be 45 this year

.and an added bonus.....is one heck of a boat driver (as long as there isn't a ton of boat traffic....and there are spots here in Texas that you can find good spots w/o traffic)
Old    kidrik            05-02-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
Good SH*T Cliff........

I'm still working on the whole "boat driving" thing..........My youngest will be 5 this summer, and my wife will finally feel good about not having to HOLD one of our three!!! We'll see? She also likes wide open lakes on off times! Hey, whatever keeps the pulls coming, I'm down for!

Life is good!
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-03-2007, 1:16 AM Reply   
work out LOL , man all i do is watch what i eat and I must say it doesnt work very well LOL I think i needd a gym membership LOL
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-03-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
I lift a lot. One to two hours a day, 5 days a week. I do cardio and abs to start and end every day.

My routine looks like:
M:
T: Chest / Tri
W: Back / Bi
T: Legs / Shoulders
F:
S: Chest / Tri
S: Back / Bi

I like to put back and bi (or chest and tri) to gather, because of overlapping secondary muscles. This gives them time to heal and not accidentally using them again the next day.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-03-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
i haven't been able to work out as much the past 3 weeks and i feel it

i wakeboarded for an hour and a half straight yesterday and i'm sore, gonna go work out and run, plus homework and yardwork

i hate work...
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-03-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
wow 8-12 hrs per week in the gym. that might be a little overkill.

It's funny how legs make up a large percentage of your muscle mass but very little focus is put on them.

how many people out ther are doing squats and deadlifts?
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-03-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
I work out 5 days a week...i used to only do weights but when I wanted to get serious with my riding I started doing some bike/eliptical as well to keep me fresh on the water.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-03-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
8-12 hours a week of lifting definately sounds a bit excessive (atleast if these are "no-nonsense" hours). i'm at about 5-7 hours a week of lifting, but i rarely say a word to anyone when i'm in there...get in, get it, get out.

squats...only light sets. i think the days of maxin' out on those are over (it feels good to not have any back pain). i hit up the leg press, leg curl, leg extension, calve raises, etc... might start doing some over head squats again to help with my balance.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-03-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
Anywhere from 4-6 days, 2 hrs at a time, 4 sets per/14-16 stations, it just works out that way. Don't mess around, plugged into the ipod and going. A few of the bigger guys are in there when I get in, still at it when I leave...
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-03-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
jay, squats shouldn't really hurt your back if youre using proper form.

one thing i've found at the gym is just cause there big doesn't mean they know what theyre doing. do you alternate muscle groups every day? i dont even know if i can think of 14-16 lifts for my upper body or lower body.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-04-2007, 5:12 AM Reply   
no they shouldn't...when i start to go heavy (around 400-500 depending on my rep count) my form suffers so my back starts to hurt...so i keep i'm keepin it light now.

i can think 14-16 different lifts, but to make those 14-16 different lifts different for each day would make, at a minimum, 56 different lifts.

tackleberry ~ you should PM me a list of what you do...i'm always looking for different things to experiment with. i like to switch up my routine every 2 or 3 months.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-04-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
Should probably note that some of the stations/lifts are only slight variations; incline press, incline fly press, chest press, shoulder press, dips, etc...all press variations

The only thing special about my routine is that it works for me. You can talk to 10 different experts, and get 10 different answers as to how/what you should or shoudn't be doing. Doesn't make any of them right or wrong, just need to take the information you get and devise something that works for you.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on May 04, 2007)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-04-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
I do a 5day split too, but only work 1 bodypart a day. I lift heavy and keep reps in the 6-8 range. The only way you're going to build is to tear the muscle and then rest to repair it. I drink a 48g shake before workout, and another post-workout with about 30g of simple suger to refill muscle glycogen stores. Then a meal about an hour after than.

My split is Chest, back, arms, shoulders, legs. Squat and DL are big on leg day and back day (respectively).

I eat super clean, stay away from suger and white bread, no simple carbs, and put down 300+ grams of protein a day. With the diet, 35 minutes of cardio 4x a week, and lifing 5x a week since January, I've made some nice changes. Been lifting on and off since college though ('94).
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-04-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
that is the only thing that matters...it's working for you. During college ball the Strength and Training coach would have a set routine for everyone to follow while we were at school. Summer would come, he would send us off with a packet that had the same routine..."do this and you will see maximum gains", is what he said. followed his lifting program to the T for the first 3 years, and saw mediocre improvements in speed, strength, size, and vertical jump. the last two years i decided to do my own thing when i left for the summer...saw significantly better improvements in everything.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-04-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
tackleberry- i'm serious about shooting me a list of your exercises too, if you don't mind.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-04-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
O.K., will get it to you this weekend.
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-04-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
I freely admit, I spend too much time in the gym, however I work out with my younger brother, so theres some wait time. Still, its probably a lot more than the average wakeboarder would need just to maintain. In fact, Im probably doing more harm than good as far as wakeboarding goes. I weigh 215 and I sink like a rock in water. I dont think a non USCG vest will float me at all anymore.

Even though I double up on everything other than legs and shoulders, in my case, I really dont need it. My legs are already big from years of racing BMX when I was a teen. I do squats, extensions, calf raises, leg curls and leg presses. For reference, Im doing 600x15 or 720x8 leg presses, so like I said, my legs are in decent shape. I hit the cardio machines and jump rope for the fast-twitch leg muscles.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-04-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
Tony - you're doing leg press with 16 plates? That is impressive.
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-05-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
Thanks, That is correct. Its certainly not part of my weekly routine, but thats my max. I usually bench 275x10 or 300x6 but ive put up 315 (6 plates) before. Im not that big a guy (6'1/215) but ive been lifting for a while, and i supplement hard.

I really dont think its beneficial to wakeboarding. Rows and lats, and perhaps even curls might help, but none of the pushing exercises IMO. Cardio and jump rope are probably the most beneficial, and maybe some light lifting just to stay well in shape. I lift mainly because I caught the bug and now its a full blown mental disease for me... :-)

(Message edited by GuitsBoy on May 05, 2007)