Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old    luvwakeboarding            10-02-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
has wakeboarding negatively changed your marriage ?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-02-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
no.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-02-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
Me and my ex fought alot, she hated that I wanted to be at the lake everyweekend instead of going to crummy places with her.

Luckly my g'f now loves the lake
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-02-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
Where can you find GF's that like to go to the lake? The seems to be a shortage in St. Louis.
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-02-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
My fiancee can't get enough of the lake, loves ridin' too.
Old     (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-02-2006, 3:25 PM Reply   
MD, you've got it made
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-02-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
Hell no. Has you marriage negatively affected your wakeboarding?
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-02-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
I'm the die hard in the marriage, he's a fair weather rider. To his defense, he's recooping from a knee surgery. Hopefully, he will slowly transfer over to the die hard side and get up before sunrise with me to get the butter. And all the add-ons ($$$$) that I want to get for the boat doesn't help our marriage either, hehehe..
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-02-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
luvwakeboarding,
You didn't answer your own question.

Paola,
Your a rare breed (in a good way, though) ;)
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-02-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
it negatively affects my SEARCH for a b/f, if that counts. cuz if a guy i meet doesn't wakeboard/snowboard, i'm pretty much not interested in him!!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-02-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
If thats not the wakeworld version of a mating call, I don't know what is.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-02-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
no..., at least not until she gets more tricks than I do. Then we might have some problems. haha
Upload
Old    luvwakeboarding            10-02-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
paola,

your my hero !!!!
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-02-2006, 4:27 PM Reply   
So far wakeboarding hasn't taken a toll on my relationship. Then again, I go out on the boat in the middle of winter and freeze and I get up at 5am to go sit on the boat and watch. :-)
Old     (preacherman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-02-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
Hasn't changed my marriage what so ever!!! Actually this past weekend I finally got my wife on my board and once she finally got up she loved it!! Hope to have her a board for next year.
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-02-2006, 4:35 PM Reply   
My cousin lives in livermore and his girl friend thinks the delta is too dirty so sometimes it makes it hard for him to go up with me to the delta.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-02-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
Good Question J-rod and I no to both questions except I am not married. The girl I am dating knew what she was getting into when we started going out. And I don't know if I infleunced or pressured her, but a LF Angel with Minx a couple months later, she has the sickness.

(Message edited by uppledup17 on October 02, 2006)
Old     (bp22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-02-2006, 4:59 PM Reply   
No way! My wife just started wakeboarding last month, now she is getting her own board. The only negative thing is she rides fakey better than me.

Upload
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-02-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
Apparently my use of the word "search" means i'm trolling WW for dates, so lemme just clarify some stuff for all of you: #1 - i wakeboard or hit the slopes pretty much every weekend year round, so if the guy i'm dating doesn't, then he won't see me, and ya, that'll cause a problem cuz i'm not changing; #2 - don't want to date any of you (y'all seem nice, but no thanks); #3 - this is me in a bad mood, so take all of this with a grain of salt and i'm gunna sign off now before i get even bitchier!!!
Old    alanp            10-02-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
sigh glad i read that, i was just going to ask you out on a date. j/k
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-02-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
My wife is also my boat driver so that makes this a hard one to answer. We are not required to have a third where I ride, so it is nice to have your driver living with you. On the other hand, we have no Perfect Pass.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-02-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
Well... Im not married yet, but if my boyfriend didnt like wakeboarding (he was the one that introduced me to it) I dont know what I'd do! We both love riding... but he was giving me a hard time for wanting to buy one of the 07 boards when I still have 2 other sets... but he is not the owner of my money (yet!) so I dont care what he says!
Old     (wake21)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-02-2006, 9:13 PM Reply   
me and my gf broke after a year of dating because she new I would take wakeboarding over her but now we are going back out because the summer is over.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
So what do all you married people do if you start wakeboarding well into the marriage and your spouse doesn't get into to it and you have to justify why and when you ride?
Old     (mspearr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-03-2006, 4:51 AM Reply   
Well I am not married but have been with my GF for like 5 years. I started riding in the summer of 05 and have since bought 2 boats, like 6 set ups boards and bindings a wake skate, a surf board and some other neccassary items. She dosen't board but I got her daughter riding. So far no problems.}

(Message edited by mspearr on October 03, 2006)
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-03-2006, 5:51 AM Reply   
My wife has been skiing/riding since she was a teenager and has always lived on the lake. We spent most of our first dates out on the water....7 years ago!

The lake and boating lifestyle is a huge part of our marriage.
Old    wakejjboard12            10-03-2006, 6:29 AM Reply   
hang in there ;)
Old     (kristin_ware)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-03-2006, 7:17 AM Reply   
My husband and I love going out on our boat with our daughter and wakeboarding, before when we had sport bikes we had to get a sitter and she was left out, now she loves it to especially the tube, she wants her own wakeboard though, I'm just not ready for that yet. If anything it has brought us all closer.
Old     (holtesm)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-03-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
I learned to ride 2 summers ago, and my wife of 18 years learned to ride last year. We both love it, and it has actually brought us closer because it is another common interest.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-03-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
My wife had never been around water til she met me. Now, I cant get her out. She LOVES all boardsports. We evolved to kiteboarding and hardly get out behind the boat anymore. However, when we go kiteboarding, she rides much longer than the rest of us. She just loves being out there. Even when I cant go, she takes her gear to the lake and catches up with our crew and rides.

The only aspect that is different is that she doesnt obsess about it like I do. She could care less to sit down and watch a video, and isnt excited by watching tricks unless to applaud the progression of her friends. She only cares about her pushing herself. Doesnt care about improvements in gear or the latest industry stuff.

All she cares about is the next windy day, and doesnt care to discus it til then.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-03-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
My wife does not wakeboard. I would like to see her at least give it a try but if she doesnt want to that is OK too. She doesnt mind being out on the boat but usually get impatient if we are out for a really long time. What I did most of the summer was go out early Sat mornings with my brother and ride then take the wives and friends in the afternoon if people are interested. On weekdays we usually only go out for a couple of hours in the evening and my wife usually goes as long as there is stuff that does not need done.

I really like the boat and wakeboarding but if I had to choose between the wakeboarding and my wife I would choose my wife, no exceptions.

Has wakeboarding negativly changed my marrige?
No but that is because I am careful not to let it. If I were to ride every night and all weekend long it definetly would be bad for my marrige. That would leave her in a boat all the time or at home by herself and I dont she would not enjoy that. Plus I would not get anything done and we would be bankrupt.
Old     (critter)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-03-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
It's starting to negativly change my marriage, but like Jon said I won't let it. I have been out for 6 straight weekends and the last 2 with out my husband. He said I'm starting to neglect him & the house, which he is right. We are starting home improvements. So this Saturday I will cater to his needs and hopefully he'll go the Charger game on Sunday, so I can go to the lake. But if not, thats OK.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-03-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
My wife bought me a Perfect Pass for my birthday. It saved our marriage .

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-03-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
My wife understood the obsession before we got married and she supports it! So far in the 9 months since we got married she has let me buy 2 boats, learned to drive the boat and learned to back the trailer plus she is starting to get a little air off the wake so I think everything is going to work out ok. All that being said even if she wasnt into it at all it would not affect our marriage.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-03-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
My wife skis better than I do, and she wakeboards as well, not as good as me though. She enjoys spending the day out on the lake and sometimes she goes and sometimes not. If you dont pick a partner that enjoys the things you do, you will have problems eventually.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-03-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
My ex never went out on my boat !.....I would go out with the kids all the time but she would sit home and had no interest whatsoever. I have a girl who is a friend kind of slash girl friend who knows,,,, that is probabbly into it more then I am...she is really bummed Summer is over and I havent told her we can still go out with the wet and dry suit in fear she will try and get me out there at 6am for the butter when I could be under my warm covers dreamming about the swedish bikini team Seriously though...if your wife girl friend is into wakeboarding to then it can be a great thing in the relationship as you both get better and progress together..plus Christmas could be good cause you can buy her stuff that you want and pretend its for her ha ha ha ha
Old     (theresa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-03-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
Im so happy that my husband introduced me to the sport last year. It's cool that we have a group of friends (also married, dating) that we hang/wakeboard with.
Just like jason ssr's wife, I can't get enough!
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-03-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
not married but my now ex once asked me what color the carpet in my boat was "gray" then she said what color are my eyes? "uhhhh blue?" didn't last to much longer after that
Old     (tarkus70)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-03-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
My wife does not wakeboard if I tell her I need a third she will go 9 time out of 10. I think wakeboarding has been good for my marriage it gets me time out with friends and gives my wife time to herself. And when she wants to go it's a good time there is no pressure for her to be there.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-03-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
My wife is a huge fan of wakeboarding, but is not very enthusiastic about riding when it gets cold. We also bought a pretty decent boat a few months after we got married (not even being home owners yet). Plus she will always drive for me (even when it is cold),does a great job, she can drive pretty decent double ups, and always takes part in loading the boat ( so I don't have to be that guy backing up the truck and then getting out to drive the boat up myself).
Basically marriage has been good for wakeboarding and vice versa.
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-03-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
For the first two months of boat ownership it started some drama. But now my wife cant get enough of it! (WakeBoarding) you sick o's. Call me lucky
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-03-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
not married but my now ex once asked me what color the carpet in my boat was "gray" then she said what color are my eyes? "uhhhh blue?" didn't last to much longer after that

Old     (escapade4k)      Join Date: May 2006       10-03-2006, 10:26 PM Reply   
Not married, but...I would have to say that introducing me to wakeboarding has been the best present my boyfriend could ever give me.
At first he probably thought I went along just to spend time with him, or to be out on the boat.
Now I think he is a little overwhelmed by how much I'm into it.
Like Jesse's wife, I just can't get enough.
Thanks again bearclaw!
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-03-2006, 10:57 PM Reply   
I met my husband because he asked me to go boating. 11years and 4 boats later we are still happily married and happy to be boating. Now that we have 2 kids it gives us something fun to do as a family.
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-04-2006, 5:56 AM Reply   
Hell, no! I have been married for six years, and have two kids, and I think I ride more than I ever have. The wife and the kids live for it. They are in the boat with me all the time.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-04-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
In all seriousness, if wakeboarding is negatively impacting your marriage then you probably need some sort of marriage counseling. That's not a knock on anybody. It's just something to think about. And I don't know everyone's personal situation but every time I've seen wakeboarding cause a relationship to struggle, it's never really about the boarding. It's about the time spent on the lake and/or the money spent on the sport.

Personally, my wife doesn't like wakeboarding and I do. And to be fair, I didn't get into wakeboarding again until after we were married so she really didn't see it coming beforehand. We work it out by making compromises. I don't always get to wakeboard every weekend but she doesn't always get to do her first choice activity either. We do try to work things out to accomodate each other as much as possible. That has led to some really fun compromises like our annual camping/wakeboarding weekend at Hartwell.
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-04-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
I like J-Rod's question better! and yes, marriage is affecting my wakeboarding. the outside temp needs to be at or close to 80 degrees before she agrees to even go out on the boat, much less ride.

Wakeboarding affecting the marriage- no way, it's good to get away from home and the Delta or any lake is like a mini vacation.
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-05-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
no cause i ride at my inlaws...
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-05-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
My wife lived in Discovery Bay when I met her and our first date was at Union Point. What do you think
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-07-2006, 10:44 AM Reply   
kylie, considering this thread is for married couples, i'd say your preaching to the choir
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-07-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
Maybe not wakeboarding in its self, however looking at this website constantly, spending countless hours looking at, fixing cleaning, buffing and improving my boat doesn't make my wife all that happy. Nor is she too happy about all the cash I throw at the boat, or wanting to go all the time. However, part of this has to do with her being pregnant all last summer and not being able to ride. Now that she's not pregnant we have an infant, that's almost worse as far as getting my wife out on the lake with me. .....

Now when we can get a baby sitter and she can actually just relax and board, she seems to like it a lot more.

So the real answer is, wakeboarding makes me happier, which improves my marriage. However, overall my wife thinks I'm obsessed with it and that's a negative, I'd say it's a wash......Did I mention that it makes me happier?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-08-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
There's an old saying "the family that plays together stays together"

After 28 years of marriage, 2 kids thru college and 1 almost it's the boating and snowboarding/skiing that keeps us all together.

but I have to admit marriage and work pretty much put an end to my surfing days and in spite of growing up in Santa Cruz none of mine ever took to that. (probably because we had them at the river every weekend)