Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2016, 8:40 PM Reply   
At the risk of solidifying my reputation as a lefty ****, does anybody else brew kombucha?
Old     (VanillaGorilla)      Join Date: Nov 2015       08-06-2016, 6:15 AM Reply   
Lol, my wife keeps a scoby going all the time. I don't like the stuff but she does.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-06-2016, 6:12 PM Reply   
hahahaha that cracked me up. Actually my lefty brother does but I don't.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-07-2016, 9:41 PM Reply   
I love the stuff. I'm brewing 2 gallons a week at the moment. Managed to kick my coke (drink) addiction.
Old    deltahoosier            08-09-2016, 2:51 PM Reply   
Sounded interesting until I started looking into this. I am trying to get off of Soda. Pretty much stopped drinking. Love wine. I am trying to get my body back to a more neutral pH. I am trying to stay away from acidic drinks (though getting rid of soda is tough)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

Adverse effects associated with kombucha consumption include severe hepatic (liver) and renal (kidney) toxicity as well as metabolic acidosis.[8][9][10] At least one person is known to have died after consuming kombucha, though the drink itself has never been conclusively proved a cause of death.[11][12]

Some adverse health effects may be due to the acidity of the tea, which can cause acidosis, and brewers have been cautioned to avoid over-fermentation.[13][14] Other adverse health effects may be a result of bacterial or fungal contamination during the brewing process.[14] Some studies have found the hepatotoxin usnic acid in kombucha, although it is not known whether the cases of damage to the liver are due to the usnic acid contamination or to some other toxin.[9][15]
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-09-2016, 7:41 PM Reply   
Like everything you have to listen to your body to see if it agrees with you or not. You can start with store bought if you like but it is $4 a bottle here! I'm a bit too Scottish for that so I started to brew my own. 4 months in to it now and so far the results have been good.

The driving force for me was getting off soda as well, I was having a can of coke everyday with lunch and I'm getting too old to keep doing that. I needed something else to substitute and this seemed like a good option.