Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (tmann1978)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-18-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
Can somebody help me understand what is the difference between some of the MasterCraft models? I'm interested in picking up a boat, and after looking on this forum, I've found some really good information on the different Mastercraft series (regular vs. saltwater, etc). Can somebody help me understand what is the difference between the X-45, and the Maristar 245. These boats seem to be basically the same, so I'm confused as to why there are two models that basically have the same length, horsepower, etc. Am I missing something? The "Compare" functionality on Mastercraft.com is pretty much useless.

Also, how does the X-Star compare to either of these two boats? It's shorter, but is it better or worse?

I'd be interested in everybody's opinions of these boats. I'm going to take all of these boats out, but it would be good to go into it with more information.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
They are the same boat. They have a Maristar and X-series line. Most of the X-series boats are maristars with ballast, pp, and tower. The maristars just have those things as options. In my opinion the maristars are a little classier with the graphics. More of a gentleman's choice.

The Xstar produces a better wakeboard wake and drives better than the X45 but those are the only things it does better. If you only want to wakeboard get the Xstar. If you want to hold more people, boat in rougher water and surf the X-45 is a much better choice. It still produces a good wakeboard wake, just the Xstar throws the best(or one of the best) wakes in the industry.

(Message edited by polarbill on August 18, 2008)
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-18-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
The X-45 and MS 245 have the same hull and engine options. The X-series package includes the tower w/ swivelling and clamping board racks, three tank ballast system, VDIG digital video display, Perfect Pass, an upgraded sound system (JL amp and sub, JL speakers, etc.), and a bunch of other stuff as well.

Definitely go with the X-series. The price increase is pretty small considering the amount of options you get.

The X-45 is much bigger than the X-Star. The 45 is a better family boat (accommodates more people, handles rough water very well, etc.), but the X-star is better for wakeboarding.
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-18-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
Brett, you beat me to it:-).
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
Ty, your a hoarsehead bay rider huh? My roomate is a pretty decent rider from Hoarsehead.
Old     (tmann1978)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-18-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys.

Not to get into the whole Salt Series vs. freshwater discussion (it has been very thoroughly discussed elsewhere in the forum), but do you guys know if it's possible to put some of the features of those boats into the X-45? I'm thinking particularly of the hydraulic steering. I would think that would be a great upgrade, even for a boat that sticks to freshwater.

Thoughts?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Yes, hydraulic steering is an option on the non-saltwater boats. When I was working at Cope and McPhetres every X-45 we had was equipped with Hydraulic steering.
Old     (tmann1978)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-18-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
Thanks Brett. I'll let you guys know what I end up with, but I'm leaning heavily toward the X-45.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
It's a great boat. My buddy is keeping his 2007 X-45 on our dock. The boat surf's great with extra weight and holds a ton of people. We were partying one day with 22 or 23 on the boat.
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-18-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
Brett,

Yep, but I live in Colorado now while I'm attending grad school. Who's your roommate?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
Bret V.
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-18-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
That's rad. Say hi to Bret for me. We go back a long time.