Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-01-2008, 10:50 PM Reply   
The other day out I was in reverse and my rudder had to have come around to far and hit the prop. There were marks in the blades on the prop in the middle of the trailing edge. When the boat is on the trailer the rudder doesn't come even close to hitting the prop but to hit it the rudder would have had to go around almost 150 degrees. There was a shinny spot on the top of the trailing edge of the rudder and that is what left little V's in each of my blades on the prop. Has this ever happened to anybody, and how can I fix this so it doesn't happen again.
Old     (deafgoose)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2008, 4:44 AM Reply   
What type of boat?

My rudder is far enough from the prop that they would never hit.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-02-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
It happened on my dads 85 mastercraft about 10 years ago. the steering cable had to be changed. don't remember the details, but in reverse the rudder was pulled around to the prop. I would start with checking your steering cable.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-02-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
Same thing happened to me a bolt came loose where the rudder connects to the cable and hit the prop. I found it under the engine and replaced it with a nylock nut, buffed the rudder and had the prop rebalanced.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-02-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
Sorry the boat is a '97 Malibu VLX. I'll check to see if I'm missing any bolts but everything still worked fine the rest of that day.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-03-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
Dude!11!!1 You bring your boat with you or are you back in town?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-03-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
Had the same thing happen to my dad's 84 mastercraft as Kevins. The steering cable came loose back at the rudder and it flipped around and hit the prop.
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-04-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
I have had the same issue on my '01 LSV
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-04-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
To the guys that had their prop hit the rudder, did you do anything about it or just not turn the steering wheel any more after it gets tight at each side?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-04-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
nick, i think you have a problem, something is loose or not right somehow, i do not think your rudder should be able to hit the prop if everything is "normal" under any conditions (backing with it cranked or whatever) otherwise it would get cost prohibitive pretty quickly, No?
somethings not right??? check it out.
Old     (dmak)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-06-2008, 1:45 AM Reply   
my buddy had his vlx on the beach parked with the transom toward the beach The waves from boats going by turned his rudder around because it was sitting on the bottom.
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-15-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
I had the rudder stop replaced. My steering cable was getting pretty stiff, so I had it replaced too. I have not had it back on the water yet, so I can't say if that is a true fix for sure...
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-16-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
Same exact thing happened with our x-star first time on the water, it sucked.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-16-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
I have a 98 vlx and the exact same thing happened to me after i changed the steering cable the first time. To fix it you just adjust the threaded tube that the cable goes through at the rear.If its adjusted right the cable cannot pivot and turn the rudder backwards.