Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-07-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
I had a little run in with a log last sat in the delta. The prop got bent some. I took it to Prop R repair in bethal island Dave is awesome i highly recomend them. Anyways I wanted to make sure I put it back on properly. Can anyone help, I did a search and only found removal tips. Thanks
Old     (da_bomber)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-07-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
Nick call ACME, goto there website ACMEmarine.com call them and they will help and answer any and all questions.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-07-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
just tighten the nut tight and after you run it tighten it again or at least check to make sure its tight, it has a keyway so make sure that is in first. use a 2x4 wedged in to stop it from turning.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-07-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
Nick, slip it on without the key, put a mark with a pen or tape where the front of the prop hub is on the shaft. Now install the key and make sure the prop returns to the same mark, if not, try reinstalling the key or file/sand just enough off so your prop returns to your mark with the key installed.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-07-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
thanks sparky and andy. so if i understand correctly the key goes in after you do the measurement then slide the prop over it and make sure that the key is fully covered by the hub after tightened? The prop should fit right up against the drive shaft right???

so i just tried it. the key is shorter than the slot for it. Should the key go towards the front of the slot or the back? If its in the back it defintely pop out the front of the prop hub. or should the key be centered in the prop hub??

sorry for the questions i just dont want a problem when i launch it tomorrow that would suck

(Message edited by nsolis220 on August 07, 2008)
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-07-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
prop shaft is tapered, the hub is tapered, it makes a press fit when the bolt is tightened which is further than it will just slide on the shaft...thats why you need a puller to get them off.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-07-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
I guess you know better than the pro's Andy... The key can allow the prop to not "seat" properly on the taper and cause a vibration.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-07-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
makes sense andy. so i need to make sure i tighten it really well then that will make it a "press fit" I did notice the taper.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-07-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
yes it has to seat properly and the key must be in
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-07-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
... that is why you slide the prop on without the key first to see where it sits when seated properly. You don't have to install the nut, just make sure the prop is as far up the shaft as it will go. Then you put the key in the groove and slide the prop back on and it should go back to the same fully seated spot. Do you understand now Nick? And yes the key should be centered.

(Message edited by wake upppp on August 07, 2008)
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-07-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
ok now im confused. Is the prop pressed onto the shaft more than you can by sliding it on or does the key get pressed up.

Sparky im thinking that if i place the key in the back of the slot then tighten the prop on all of the way then the key will end up towards the front of the key. is that right.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-07-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
sparkys right that it can be done wrong but its not too hard to do it just don't force anything and "feel" whether it seats or not...turn it by hand look at it looks good? tighten that big ol nut tight very tight. don't go crazy though if you have a cotter pin put it in make sure your shaft nut is aircaft nylock type that why you use the 2x4 to stop the prop from turning to get that bolt tight.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-07-2008, 8:52 PM Reply   
just a tiny bit...you got it now right?
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-07-2008, 8:52 PM Reply   
sparky u beat me to the post. I did like you said. I was able to put it on see were it sat then slide it back on with the key in the back of the slot and the prop hub still went to the same place.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-07-2008, 8:53 PM Reply   
The key just sits in the center of the groove. The prop only goes so far up the tapered shaft. If you don't believe me, go to Acme's website and read the instructions, (exactly what I've told you already).
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-07-2008, 8:54 PM Reply   
ya guys it sounds like im thinking to much. thanks that should do it I really appreciate it!!!!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-07-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
turn the shaft so the cutout is up then lay the key in the cutout.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-11-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
Nick, you are way overthinking this, lol. If you can tighten a screw you can replace a prop....you'll figure it out.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-11-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
Nick, nothing wrong with being cautious and well informed. This way you'll avoid the "I Installed My Prop And Now I Have A Vibration" thread. Trust me, you CAN get it wrong, it's more than just tightening a "nut".