Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-20-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
I am casing the landing. The guys are tellin me I need to point the tip of the board towards the wake, not the boat. I bring the handle in as I edge in and I push it down. Everything feels so right, just maybe I need more speed???
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-20-2010, 5:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polhamus View Post
I am casing the landing. The guys are tellin me I need to point the tip of the board towards the wake, not the boat. I bring the handle in as I edge in and I push it down. Everything feels so right, just maybe I need more speed???
Hi Kim,
It is all about progressive edge - so start flat, edge in super slow, build momentum and then you will have it. Post some vid! I have seen lots of people start out too fast, then they flatten out as they get to the trough. I like to keep the handle down and at my front hip. You should follow thier suggestion and point the nose away from the boat and more at the opposite shore - mirror image of the heelside. I ride goofy and aim for about 10:45 or 11:00. If you are regular footed maybe 1:45 or 2:00. If it helps really think about the feel of that landing toeside edge as you cut out for a heelside jump. Go practice the toeside edge cutting away from the wake. THAT is the way you want to land. Then cross the wake and try and find that same edge coming in to the wake.

If you are really struggling take it to the 180 and land HS Switch. Lots of people get that before they ever get a TS W2W.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-21-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
yeah thought about that ts 180. going out today. I will try and get some video......I am goofy too..I will try the 11 oclock! haha. handle is low..its all there just more speed.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-21-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
KIM i'm goofy too i found the wake to wake toe side to be harder than a wake to wake 180 because of the balance when you land.also if you get video you may see as i did i wasn't standing tall like i thought i was.video is a great teacher.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-22-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
couldn't get video. BUT we are going out on friday, then I will!
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-24-2010, 4:16 AM Reply   
Usually what works for people in this case is edging out a lot further than you think you need to. Most of the time its not your body position, but your edge. As stated above its getting a progressive edge. It sounds like your not progressing your edge fast enough so your not getting the tension on the rope to get the speed you need.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-24-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Yes I think it is my edge. I am so close that I know it isn't body position. We are putting my center fin in the board and then maybe I will edge harder.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-29-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
kim the center fin won't help you edge body position is how you edge. lizrd above describes the process totally .progressive is building your edge slowly . pop is what gets you across the wake.the boat is heavy it pushes water to the bottom .the reaction is the wake water pushing to the top. when you edge you create more pressure against the water. to get the most of these two forces you stand tall. it's like jumping on a trampoline or a diving board. you get the best reaction when your body is stiff.if you bend at the waist [most common mistake toeside] you absorb some of the reaction ie not as much height.the faster you come into the wake the more line tension you create. that line tension pulls you towards the boat and off your edge. when you hit the wake flat you don't get height.you should be getting at least 3 to 4 feet off the water even on a 65 foot line. try the drill LIZRD described cutting out on your heelside away from the wake then you don't have to worry about the wake. the further you can cut out the stronger your toeside edge will be. good luck and happy boarding!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-29-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
Put the fin in, and ate ****........took them out, found out I love my board even more. I am riding at 70' and I know what it is now.....I need more weight on my front foot. I have body position and height down solid..I am def. going up....just need more weight on my front foot which makes me edge harder, and speed.
I have done the heelside drill many times...that is not changing my "in my head" moments..Thanks for all the tips though. it's the front foot that needs more weight..I can tell when I do it right. it freaks me out, and I edge harder. It will happen going out on thursday!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-29-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
it is eye opening when you finally get it it's like someone kicks you in the butt. you expect to go out but you go way up and have all this time on your hands to FREAK OUT! LOL
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-30-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
eyes looking outward; not down and keep on edge when landing. Keeping handle low and to your butt cheek will help too!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-30-2010, 5:41 PM Reply   
true audrey...I always look at the first wake.
Old    mojo            06-30-2010, 9:00 PM Reply   
ts 180's are easier than a ts jump. you're only casing because you let off your edge, probably at the very last second and don't realize it. get some video of yourself to see what's going wrong.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2010, 5:48 AM Reply   
I was out the other day with Andrew Adkison (im such a name dropper) and we had someone on the boat that was having the same problem. Every time they would attempt a toe side jump they opened up and flattened out the board. His suggestion was this. If you are right foot forward, really get your right shoulder pointing across the wake. Lock your handle into that right hip and keep it there. He called it putting it in your pocket. Make sure you dont open that shoulder up as you approach the wake and you will stay on that nice progressive edge. The rider went from out of control every time to clearing the wake. It was a beautiful thing.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-07-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
ok it didn't happen cause it was so freakin busy out there! but...here is a photo. I know I need to pick up the backfoot and just like Mike says put the handle in your pocket. I am not opening up. I keep both hands on almost until landing, sometimes even landing. ok wait how do I post picture?
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-07-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
I am not going in fast enough, nor do I have enough speed. But form is great! CUSS WORDS!!!!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
Without seeing video or a picture, the biggest mistake i see with people trying to clear toeside is that they break at the waist at the last second and kill all their pop. I always describe it to people as maintaining your strong tall position and really driving your hips (especially your back one) through the top of the wake. This forces you to maintain your strong edge all the way through the top of the wake. One good drill is to go outside the wake and hold a strong toeside edge like you are setting up for HS jump. Practice setting and maintaining a strong progressive edge all the way out wide. The pendulum imagery is especially strong in toeside jumps
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-07-2010, 5:28 PM Reply   
Stephan my husband is telling me to lean over my toes. of course his toeside is not textbook, but he does clear it. I understand the drill of edging out like for a HS however, I do not know how to lean that hard doing toeside.......I mean when you get close to the wake you lose all that leaning you just did.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...&id=1569472337

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3295930_n.jpg
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-07-2010, 5:29 PM Reply   
isnt it a great photo! j-k someone doesn't know how to focus! I will get video next time. If someone is kind enought to video
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-07-2010, 8:25 PM Reply   
it looks to me like you have backed off your edge at the last minute - your body position is leaning slightly away from the direction you're travelling. if you'd taken off right, your body position would be more over your toes than it is right now.
It looks like your handle position and general body position is good though - you just need to keep that edge going!
as others have said, you really need to do a progressive edge - if you cut hard the whole way in, then you're probably pulling back at the last minute without even meaning to or knowing that you're doing it! with a progressive edge you only do that really hard cut right at the last minute, so you don't have time to pull out of it
definitely get a vid if you can.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-07-2010, 8:36 PM Reply   
also, it might be worth shortening the rope a little until you can get it consitent, and then try at your current length? it's a great way to help get a new trick. if you keep casing the wake then you're probably going to start getting some bad habits pretty soon, cos you'll be expecting that crunch every time, and you'll shift your body position to compensate...
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-08-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
Kim - in the pic, it looks like you "break" a little at the waist and are actually pulling the handle in to your hip with your front hand. This will cause you to open up.

Practice this drill in the attached video....it made a world of difference for me & prior to this injury, I was going bigger on my TS than HS. Notice the hips forward and most of the tension in the rear hand. This drill was a big "ah-ha" for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqAheageD9c

Let me know how it goes!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-08-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
I did watch that, that will be a good drill. your right.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-09-2010, 6:53 PM Reply   
kim another thing that might be helpful is to consentrate on standing on your tip toes and pushing your hips forward as you come up the wake and standing tall. it's like the position you would be in for a back dive . your body would be straight and tall because your trying to get height.the same for toe side.hope this helps.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-10-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
Thanks Robert! that makes sense
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-12-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
ok handle to back pocket works.....that was the trick, but didn't clear it yet. gotta get used to that speed into the wake! wowzer
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-12-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
kim try the rope at 65' it may just be as simple as the wake is not hard enough. if that fixes it then go 1 mph faster at 70 foot.i don't know what kind of boat you have but there is a great difference in width of wakes,hardness of wakes and shape of wakes. most people try wake jumps at 60 or 65' first then speed up 1 mph for 70 foot. i have a tige 22ve and i go 21 mph for 60' and 21.5 for 65' then 22.5 for 70' on up to 24.5 for 85'. you have to adjust to your wake. since none of us can see the wake we can only guess.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-15-2011, 7:35 PM Reply   
Ok! I did it!!!!!!!! Cleared the wake TOESIDE!! hellllllllzzzzzzz yeah!! It is so awesome! I have never had soooo much fun doing toeside. OMG!! brought the rope in @65. I usually like to ride at a fast speed. So we keep it at 24mph. I was riding at 73' @24. I just added weight to the boat, was doing ts with just stock. Now I am getting the fatty's filled. OH man it is soooo much fun!!!!! yeehaw! taking my riding to the next level. now just switch hs 180 wtw (doing 1 wakers now), and I am all ready for wake games next year!! woot woot
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-17-2011, 4:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polhamus View Post
Ok! I did it!!!!!!!! Cleared the wake TOESIDE!! hellllllllzzzzzzz yeah!! It is so awesome! I have never had soooo much fun doing toeside. OMG!! brought the rope in @65. I usually like to ride at a fast speed. So we keep it at 24mph. I was riding at 73' @24. I just added weight to the boat, was doing ts with just stock. Now I am getting the fatty's filled. OH man it is soooo much fun!!!!! yeehaw! taking my riding to the next level. now just switch hs 180 wtw (doing 1 wakers now), and I am all ready for wake games next year!! woot woot
CONGRATULATIONS!Glad to hear your sucess story.KEEP UP the GOOD work!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-17-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
Congrats! It feels great to clear TSw2w. I have my regular TSw2w dialed in but I just cleared switch TSw2w and that was a good feeling. Now I just need to make switch TS more consistent!

Keep shredding!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-18-2011, 5:34 PM Reply   
Switch ts wtw holy crap! that is good! Congrats to you too!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-19-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
Here is my TSw2w.

I'm a little too much bent over on TS take off, but since the picture I have realized that and fixed it LOL