Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (0klahoma_Breakdown)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-26-2012, 1:15 PM Reply   
I have researched the Epic threads on here over the last year and though there is a lot of info on the Wakeboard wake with the 21v and 23V, not much is said about the Surf Wake.

In the threads there are comments that is is a tall wall with very short pocket. Just curious if anyone could elaborate on this at all. I am pretty much dialed in on buying an F21 or an Epic with the bigger 8.2 liter motor.

Also, if anyone in the DFW area has a newer Epic I would love to take a look some time.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-26-2012, 1:59 PM Reply   
Definitely ride it before you buy it...
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2012, 7:20 PM Reply   
As long as your promise to keep the fakesurfing in OK

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMMQx...e_gdata_player
Old     (0klahoma_Breakdown)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-27-2012, 6:18 AM Reply   
That doesn't look so bad. Thanks for sharing.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-27-2012, 7:06 AM Reply   
Brian, I have owned 2 Epics and can answer any questions you may have if you are interested. I also have my 2012 23V with 52 hours on it for sale. 8.2L engine. I will send you a PM
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
I have not heard good things about the epic surf wake. Last year it pulled Nationals and the riders were very unhappy with the conditions. The wake is very steep with not much transition which makes it really hard to do spins on and is awkward to edge up all the way for airs.

I have heard this from multiple people, but I have not ridden behind one myself. I do have a lot of expereince with the F21 tomcat. Amazing wake as long as you have the trim tab and one of the Flyhigh 1100lbs bags in the back locker. And it has my favorite wakeboard wake ive ever ridden.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-27-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
The F21 surf wave is significantly better than the Epic. I've surfed them both. The Epic is, as everyone says, very steep. It's kinda fun riding up to the lip and dropping in, but it's a bit too steep for good airs and, if you're a skim rider, forget it. The pocket is also significantly shorter than the F21. I experimented with adding a ton of sand to the bow, but the pocket never got near the length of the MB.

The MB wave is the best "stock" wave I've surfed. Longest pocket. With lots of peeps in the boat, it was top notch. I never surfed it with additional ballast, but I'm sure that would only help. Oh, and everyone stayed dry too.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-27-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
Tuneman:

You own an Epic though correct?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-27-2012, 12:07 PM Reply   
Nope, I had a 2009 Epic, back in 2009, and sold it that fall. I currently have a 2012 MB 21WB for sale, if anyone is interested. If all goes as planned, I'll have a 23WB this spring.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       01-29-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
Tuneman: We gotta go out this spring - need to pick your brain on the Epic 23V setup - the wake is steep on my 07 and I just traded up to a 2011 Epic with the surf trim tabs - if I remember correctly you were the one putting those on yours? Have not been able to try the boat out - got it in December but if winter doesn't show up I'll might be out there soon!
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-30-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
Definitely hit me up this spring. I usually ride Owasso a few time every season. The trim tab thing wasn't me. I just had the center one on my boat. Part of the key to taming the wave was adding some ballast to the opposite side.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       01-30-2012, 6:44 PM Reply   
Your home lake is tonka right??? Kinda far for me as I'm living on the east side near 3m but have to try it out once ... Anyway will hit you up in spring ... seems to start tomorrow ;-)
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-31-2012, 6:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_butt View Post
Your home lake is tonka right??? Kinda far for me as I'm living on the east side near 3m but have to try it out once ... Anyway will hit you up in spring ... seems to start tomorrow ;-)
Dude, c'mon. It's like 20 mins from 3M to Wayzata with no traffic. If you can't ride 20 mins to shred, you don't want to get out bad enough.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-31-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_butt View Post
Yeah, Tonka is home, but I only ride there about 1/3 of the time. It's a busy lake.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       01-31-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
@jeff ... It's 15 to owasso but at best 45 to Minnetonka ... So I prefer to ride rather than drive ;-)
Owasso gets busy on weekends but is calm during the week except Wednesday is church/volunteer day which is nice of them but creates too much waves as they have to circle the lake which I get ...
Anyway was looking for drivers quite often last summer (needed a 2nd not 3rd) so have to get more contacts ...