Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-25-2014, 8:09 PM Reply   
I was curious about these boards (particularly the shred town) because I initially came from snowboarding.

I know that [people love these for hitting features in the park, but how do they feel with just typical riding?

My all around go to board right now is an LF Witness. I've ridden a few others, but this is my fave thus far.

my main question is this: how does the 'feel' differ on slingshot boards when cutting a hard edge?

being that I'm looking for that snowboard feel...I like the idea of a solid, locked in carving edge.

thoughts?
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-25-2014, 10:29 PM Reply   
I came from the witness also and switched to slingshot in 2012. I bought both a response and a recoil and used both for boat and only the response for cable. I have never ridden the shredtown so have no perspective there. However I believe the response is probably the closest slingshot to the shred town, in rocker (both continuous rocker) and shape (overall width through center and tip/tail) I think the biggest differences are that the response has a triangle tip/tail and the shredtown is more square. On the 2013 and later shred there may be a softer flex also but I'm not sure....

I can say that relative to the two slingers I've had behind the boat, the witness was about halfway between in terms of how it edges (recoil is a bit tighter, response is a bit looser). The witness is a fairly fast board which is why I think I gravitated towards the response (continuous rocker) over the recoil (3 stage). What I always liked about the witness was its snap and quick release off the wake, especially on spins. I think the response having the fins set a bit closer to the center of the board mimicks this, on the recoil the tip/tail are wider and the fins are set farther to the outside which always felt to me like it hung a bit too long on the release.

Another factor for me coming off ACL reconstruction was landings, and the slingshots definitely all land softer than the witness. My other issue with the witness was durability, I used to break at least one witness a year and since switching to slingshot have yet to break a board. I'm 220 lbs and get pretty good use out of my boards, beating the response up on the cable as well....

LF definitely nailed it with the witness, but board construction and technology have come a long way since that shape was introduced in 2006. Personally I think any slingshot is an improvement over the witness, but try to demo if you can and see what you like. At face value the slingshots all seem the same (no bottom features), but in reality tip/tail shape, fin size/placement, overall width, and rocker pattern play a huge role in how a board rides and thus you'll find all the slings ride a bit different.

All the companies designing exotic channels and ribs and such are wasting their time IMO. Slingshot and Ronix have it figured out. Pretty much all their boards are flat through the belly and rely on tip/tail shape, edge profile at the tip/ tail, fin placement, and rocker (and now camber) patterns to be the differences in how the boards in their line ride.

Hope this helps. Don't wanna sound like a salesman but I just can't say enough good things about slingshot and believe in their product. Demo if you can, but if not call the riders hotline and you'll find someone who knows their stuff and always answers the phone right away that might be able to steer you in the right direction. For what it's worth I had a buddy of mine that was a witness guy try a shredtown behind the boat and really liked it.

Anyone trying one out for the first time also needs to understand that you pop on these boards just a bit different. I found I need to load the tail just a bit more to get a good snap out of the board. Only mention this to say that you won't hop off your witness and onto any flex board and have a 100% smooth transition, so give it a couple sets. You will immediately appreciate the landings though....
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-26-2014, 3:37 AM Reply   
Have never ridden a Witness, I agree with Mr. Yost's opinion on the Slingshot boards. I went from a LF Harley to a LF Shane Hybrid and now a SS Lyman. The first thing I noticed the Slingshot boards were the snowboard feel. I snowboarded for 8 years before I got into wakeboarding. When I first hopped on the LF boards, the feel wasn't the same as snowboarding to me. When I hopped on the Slingshot, the snowboard feel was the first thing I noticed. The second was the noticably softer landings of the Slingshot over the LF boards. As for which Slingshot you go with, try to demo some. If you know kinda what you are looking for in a board, I think the sales rep should be able to place you on a great board immediately. I have rode the 2013 and 2014 Recoils behind the boat. They both have awesome pop. I am hoping to get to ride most of their entire lineup this summer if I can convince a buddy of mine that is a sale rep to come out on my both with them.

Last edited by dezul; 03-26-2014 at 3:37 AM. Reason: grammar
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-26-2014, 3:40 AM Reply   
Oh, and I am about your size. I am 5'9 and 220lbs and about your age. You will appreciate the soft landings.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-26-2014, 7:09 AM Reply   
I am 6'5" AND 250lbs. I have a jacked up knee, no ACL or Minicus. I came from a Watson about 5 years ago went to a Company board (loved it, still to this day). I switched to Slingshot a little over a year ago. I only ride behind a boat ( haven't hit the park yet). I ride the response and love it. It has less flex than my company but edging is better. I also ride it fin less all the time. I like the loose feel for surface tricks backside 10's all day long.
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       03-26-2014, 9:55 AM Reply   
ive had a 2012 and 2013 lyman and liked them both, definately ride a little different but softer on the landings and fast across the water. ill probably be on the 2013 for a while, its noticeably faster than anything else ive ridden and i like that about it.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-26-2014, 10:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
Have never ridden a Witness, I agree with Mr. Yost's opinion on the Slingshot boards. I went from a LF Harley to a LF Shane Hybrid and now a SS Lyman. The first thing I noticed the Slingshot boards were the snowboard feel. I snowboarded for 8 years before I got into wakeboarding. When I first hopped on the LF boards, the feel wasn't the same as snowboarding to me. When I hopped on the Slingshot, the snowboard feel was the first thing I noticed. The second was the noticably softer landings of the Slingshot over the LF boards. As for which Slingshot you go with, try to demo some. If you know kinda what you are looking for in a board, I think the sales rep should be able to place you on a great board immediately. I have rode the 2013 and 2014 Recoils behind the boat. They both have awesome pop. I am hoping to get to ride most of their entire lineup this summer if I can convince a buddy of mine that is a sale rep to come out on my both with them.
great advice, guys thanks. Tim, how would you compare the way they edge vs a traditional molded board? is this also more 'snowboardy'? to me, I feel like edge response....and that 'locked in' feel you get from edging on a snowboard has never really been replicated by the molded boards I've ridden. do the Slingshot boards come closer to this feel of being locked in on edge?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-26-2014, 2:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by naptownwake View Post
great advice, guys thanks. Tim, how would you compare the way they edge vs a traditional molded board? is this also more 'snowboardy'? to me, I feel like edge response....and that 'locked in' feel you get from edging on a snowboard has never really been replicated by the molded boards I've ridden. do the Slingshot boards come closer to this feel of being locked in on edge?
This is just my opinion. I was a little scared to try the Slingshot cause of the bottomless features. My first ride on my buddy's 2013 Recoil put a big smile on my face. When I got back on the boat the first thing I told my crew was "Wow, that feels like a snowboard." The transition from toe to heal and so fourth were butter smooth.

I felt like the LF Shane Hybrid tracked better but didn't have the feel of a snowboard. My pop was more consistent off of the wake on the Recoil. It really felt effortless and like I didn't have to charge the wake as hard. Then the landings. I think everyone else that has posted, has posted enough about the landings.

Since midsummer last year my gf has purchased two Slingshots and I bought one. All my friends that were struggling to go w2w even loved the board and got w2w the same day they switched. The had been out numerous times before getting close but not there yet. All of them loved it.

Take a chance and get one. I promise you will love it. I would snag a 2013 model on evo for cheap. They are discounted pretty well right now.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-26-2014, 7:24 PM Reply   
To answer your question jack, yes, the boards edge more like a snowboard. The edges are really thin and you can use them like a snowboard. Even finless at the cable I can lock into a pretty tight edge. I don't do air tricks myself, but some of the guys at my cable that do have recently switched to slingshot and doesn't seem to affect their air tricks.

If you're proficient on a snowboard and know how to use a boards edges, your transition to a featureless board for wake will be easier. Most the people I've seen struggle are those that rely too much on fins to do the work for them.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-26-2014, 7:29 PM Reply   
Tim's right, I got a 2013 response back in dec for $235 off evo. I don't think they're quite that good now but still pretty heavily discounted.

By the way, I'm selling my 2012 Recoil for a very reasonable price ($150). Like I stated above, I bought two boards cause I couldn't demo (and I always have a spare around) in 2012 and found for me the response works much better. I rode my recoil maybe 20-30 boat sets and never at the cable (no sliders, dings, scratches etc...) it is a 146. Let me know if anyone interested.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-26-2014, 7:54 PM Reply   
Dustin Yost is pretty much spot on. Don't buy his unless it is your size. Otherwise, it is a good deal. I promise you love it.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-27-2014, 8:57 AM Reply   
stupid question: i can use any binding with the fast track system, rigth?
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-27-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
evo has several in stock. what woudl you guys recommend, given that I typically prefer a continuous vs a 3 stage? also, I can use any boot with the fast track, right?
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       03-27-2014, 12:24 PM Reply   
When I started wakeboarding again this past year I was able to try a 2013 Shredtown, 2013 Reflex and a few 2014 Hyperlite boards. I preferred the way the Slingshots felt on the water.. Loose and playful but I could still hold and edge and pop them with soft landings.

I ended up going with a 2014 Slingshot Reflex and after getting a few sets on it, I'm glad I went with it. The board is really loose and playful when I'm messing around but I can lay down an edge and hold it through the wake with no issues. Its a subtle 3 Stage rocker and does fine for my style of riding. Landings are really soft which helps for my knee since I've already had surgery once.

I also grabbed this board since I plan on using it at the cable parks as well. I wanted one wakeboard that would work well in both situations and I feel it will suit my needs just fine.

California Marine Sports has their 2013 Slingshot boards priced way down as well.. Free Ground shipping on all orders over $100 too.

http://calmarinesports.com/wakeboard...r=415&year=140
Old     (giarc1234)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-27-2014, 12:43 PM Reply   
I put CWB bindings on my Response. Had to go to hardware store and get longer screws to fit.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-27-2014, 2:05 PM Reply   
I think as long as you don't have an older binding you should be good. I think the slingshots ship with the required harware for putting other brand bindings on the board. Mine did.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       03-27-2014, 2:28 PM Reply   
The slingshot boards with a Fast Track system ship with just the Fast Track hardware. Which is just the slider piece and an M6 screw. The screw length is designed for the base plate thickness found on the Slingshot bindings. Depending on the thickness of the bindings you plan on using, you will need longer hardware. Slingshot offers this or a quick trip the hardware store will take care of it as well.
Old     (kent_harmon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-02-2014, 5:21 PM Reply   
To really answer your question, Yes the shredtown rocks behind the boat. I have ridden it for the last 2 years. Super smooth and yes it locks in on a mean edge, but is super loose when you are just messing around. It also ollies like a snowboard. It does sacrifice some height compared to the LF shane hybrid if that gives you any reference, but it is so consistent and so much fun i look past that. So yes, you will be very happy with it or any other slingshot board you choose. Good luck
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-03-2014, 5:59 AM Reply   
Thanks, all. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the shredtown as it was the closest in size to what I'm accustomed. 215 bucks. looking forward to getting on it!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-03-2014, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by naptownwake View Post
Thanks, all. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the shredtown as it was the closest in size to what I'm accustomed. 215 bucks. looking forward to getting on it!
Come back here once you have rode it for a while and tell us your opinion.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-03-2014, 10:09 AM Reply   
Not to hijack, but I was hoping for some size advice. I have been riding a LF Lyman 139 and Company Severance 138 for the last few years and feel comfortable on both. I was looking at the Shredtown 139 or 143. I've put on 5 -10 lbs this offseason and am currently 6' 180lbs, but don't anticipate getting any heavier. The only thing over 140 I've ever ridden is the 2012 Humanoid Oracle 143 for a set or two and it felt like a barge with the way it rolled from edge to edge, but I think that was mostly due to its shape and width, rather than the length. Any input on what size I should go with?
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       04-03-2014, 10:45 AM Reply   
I'm 6'1 and roughly 185-190. I rode last years Shredtown in the 143 size behind a boat a few times and was really comfortable on it. Size wasnt an issue. As I said, I'm currently on a 141 Reflex and loving the size but I think If i were to get the shredtown I still would have went with the 143.

I need/wanted a board for both the cable and boat riding and the local cable spins a little to slow for me on a 139. Plus the bigger board gives a me a softer landing and I've already had on knee surgery