Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Artie)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-10-2015, 11:02 AM Reply   
I'm a beginner/ intermediate rider I am 5'8" and 180lbs.I can carve pretty well and do one wake jumps on Hs and ts and also switch ride. I ride an O'Brien suspect 136. I would like to progress and learn some tricks but not sure if I'm on the right size board. Any suggestions on a new board and size would be greatly appreciated thanks to all that reply.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-10-2015, 11:14 AM Reply   
136 is a small board for your size. You should be looking somewhere around 138-142 range to probably feel more comfortable
Old     (Artie)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-10-2015, 1:56 PM Reply   
Alright thanks for the info.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-10-2015, 2:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Alright thanks for the info.
What brand of board are you looking at? Flex or no flex? If you want a softer landing, look at a 142ish board. Personally, I would stick with your current board and subscribe to learnwake.com or watch some videos on jumping wake to wake. Once you can land the wake to wake easily, then look at upgrading. Also, think about what you are looking for in a board. Try to ride your friends board and see how it feels and compare bottom features. Some people like the board loose, some don't. It is all preference
Old     (Artie)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-10-2015, 2:59 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I just learned on this board at the beginning of the summer and haven't ridden any other boards to compare it to. There's only a couple of places around that rent out boards but there not that close to me. I was looking at a CWB faction or the RONIX vault any good info on these.
Old     (Paul_42186)      Join Date: May 2013       09-10-2015, 3:41 PM Reply   
I have the 2014 CWB Dowdy 142 and really like it, softer landings than my old O'Brien board. It also has more pop off the wake.
Old     (Artie)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-10-2015, 5:17 PM Reply   
Thanks Paul E. I'll have to check that board out
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-10-2015, 9:19 PM Reply   
Hey Artie,

You might like the OBrien Contra or Format, 137-138cm. I've ridden both and really enjoyed them. The Contra is a 3-stage, while the Format is a progressive rocker but they have the same fin configuration. Both have really soft landings and good snap off the wake. I like the progressive rocker more, so I stuck with Format for the consistency.

Hope this helps!
Old     (Artie)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-11-2015, 3:41 PM Reply   
Thanks Ryan for the info on those boards I'll take a look at them.