Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-03-2015, 1:26 PM Reply   
My regular board (timebomb) fell off my boat and was picked up by another boater, so until I get a replacement I'm riding a 2013 recoil, which has been sitting in my basement for 2 years because I've never figured it out. So . . . is there some trick or technique to getting really good pop from a flex board? It just seems like no matter what I try, I never really get booted. Sometimes when I'm really patient and manage to load up the tail and do an ollie-style takeoff (stomping on the back foot, kinda lifting the front foot) I get decent lift, but nothing like I would on the timebomb. Also, do the liners of the RAD boots (2013) always come out when you take the boots off, or does this stop happening once they get broken in? Also, is anyone interested in a very slightly used 2013 recoil? Kidding.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-03-2015, 4:17 PM Reply   
My personal opinion is you either have the flex board technique or you dont. I think that is why people usually love it or hate it. As far as the liners you have to really loosen up the inner boot cinch and be really careful about getting it off. I always end on a fall and am usually not that happy so I always just put the inner boot back in later!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-04-2015, 5:50 AM Reply   
The recoil is a great board. You will notice the pop on the slingshots is a little later than the stiff boards. I ride up the wake and fully stand tall as the tip of the board has already left the wake. It feels like I am a little back foot heavy. I guess that is the best way to explain it. Check out the CTRL line on blemboard.com. It sounds like you would like it and they are reasonably priced.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-07-2015, 8:45 PM Reply   
So I've now taken 5 sets on the recoil, and think I may be starting to get the hang of it. I managed to land all my heel and toe backrolls, and rode away from a wrapped 3, which I only land about 50% of the time anyway. This is significant progress, as I could barely get over the wake on my first set. It seems like the board really rewards good technique at the wake, but really punishes anything less, such as backing off even slightly or taking off too early. And, I have to admit that it lands softer than anything else I've ever ridden. I feel like if I stick with it for the rest of the season I'll be a better rider than I was before, even if I ultimately go back to a traditional board. I don't know if I'll ever like the RAD boots though. It just drives me nuts to have to mess around with the liner coming out when I'm tired after a run.