Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Zachstratt12)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-01-2015, 6:36 PM Reply   
I recently have been attempting a back roll and tantrum but the thing is I have a mental block and I can't get upside cause of the mental block. Anyone have any clue on how to just be able to go for it ?
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       09-01-2015, 8:00 PM Reply   
Learn on a trampoline. You'll get better spatial awareness.

Also, do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNhCwKLf48

You're welcome.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-01-2015, 8:18 PM Reply   
I think it's easier to learn a backroll (I'm assuming you're referring to a heelside backroll) by itself, instead of trying to learn a backroll and a tantrum at the same time, because the motions that initiate the flip are so different. For a heelside backroll, what helped me the most was forgetting about trying to flip entirely. Instead, just concentrate on building a progressive edge as you approach and hit the wake, then simply look over your lead shoulder. The rest (i.e., the flip) will just happen. You don't really "throw" the flip - the energy created by the progressive edge, combined with the look over the lead shoulder, initiates the up and over motion. Keeping the handle locked at your waist is helpful as well. I used to keep my elbows pinned to my sides to make sure the handle was where it should be. Good luck!!
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-01-2015, 9:34 PM Reply   
Search for Sean Murray Foundation. He has a video promoting the baseline board and then it goes from that into tips on your first inverts and spins
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-02-2015, 6:43 AM Reply   
Do them one wake first. Takes the big crashes out of the picture. You can land on your head and be fine.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-02-2015, 10:17 AM Reply   
That video is great Will. I have never even tried an Air back roll..... but I will now.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-02-2015, 4:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Do them one wake first. Takes the big crashes out of the picture. You can land on your head and be fine.
This.. at slow speed. Slow the boat down to 18 or 19 and the falls don't hurt. Once you land on your head at 18 and think 'that wasn't bad'.. the fear goes away.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       09-02-2015, 9:24 PM Reply   
Yup; one wake, slow speed, plus let go of the handle before you hit the water. Until you've landed a few on the board, then it's time to hold on.
The main thing is trying that first one, finding out that nothing bad happens and that it didn't hurt. That will take the fear away and it'll just be fun from then on.
Good luck!
Old     (Butter77)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-03-2015, 6:43 AM Reply   
Although I'm new here I thought I should add to Sander's post.

Do not let go off the handle! The handle and line tension is what gives you the momentum and keeps the rotation going. The second you let go of the handle the rotation is over.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-03-2015, 6:54 AM Reply   
Remember with the back roll to really throw your hips. I spent 2 summer struggling and once i found out its all in the hips I have been money ever since!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       09-05-2015, 9:07 AM Reply   
The first few tries you'll probably not ride it away. So if you try to hold on the crashes will be much more brutal than when you let go right before the moment of impact.
Of course do not let go of the handle before like 3/4 of the trick.